COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

Just an update. Father in law is on the upswing. His terrible body aches and such have diminished and he’s able to putter around again. Mother in law is home on steroids and every other thing but she’s not getting worse.
Now my idiot hillbilly waste of human tissue sister in law is sick and positive drinking and playing darts in the bars every night
assuming she's not invited over for thanksgiving dinner

I guess the question is how soon before we completely shut down or are we not going there? I just don't see how we can avoid it at this point.

I guess the question is how soon before we completely shut down or are we not going there? I just don't see how we can avoid it at this point.
It’s probably going to have to be something big again (like the NBA the first time)
I think the smart thing to do would be thanksgiving thru Xmas/new years

Iowa is an interesting case. Testing has mostly been flat. It bounces between 1k and 10k people tested daily, but the 7 day average is 5k tested each day. Just a little blip the last few days higher. They now have about 4k positive cases a day.

1605149367604.png

1605149396778.png

Depends on the state's Covid business immunity law - if there is one. Looks like about 10 states have them. I think Eeyore is in Indiana, which does not have one.

But more broadly, the laws aren't all the same. I think the primary purpose of them is to allow businesses to operate without fear of liability if someone believes (or can prove) that they were infected at the business.

That kind of immunity would not apply to a clinic running a for-profit testing operation that intentionally returns negative tests (or uses a test that is so unreliable that it can be predicted to likely return a negative test).

I think some of the immunity laws include medical providers in their scope. There the idea is that this is a novel disease affecting millions so it limits medical liability on the basis the providers have high volumes of a new disease and need some protection. But even that might not provide the kind of immunity it would take to apply to this scenario. (Depending on what the evidence actually was).
Thanks.......but sorry I am lost 🙁

That is way above my graduate school education.

I don't see a national lockdown being feasible for a lot of reasons and also think it would be repeating a mistake we made in the spring. Targeted lockdowns in certain states/counties make sense but there is no need for NOLA to go back to pre-phase 1 because Sioux City, IA or Ponca City, OK have a massive spike.

Yesterday saw over 144K new cases - a new record by 10 percent. It saw hospitalization at over 65K - a new record by 5 percent. And another day of climbing death toll, with 1,421 dead.

This is all going very badly as we lead into the Thanksgiving season.

144K for the whole country? Heck, Dallas county was about 1% of that total all by itself. Way to go Dallas county!

I don't see a national lockdown being feasible for a lot of reasons and also think it would be repeating a mistake we made in the spring. Targeted lockdowns in certain states/counties make sense but there is no need for NOLA to go back to pre-phase 1 because Sioux City, IA or Ponca City, OK have a massive spike.

The only "mistake in the spring" was the wilful ignorance and misinformation spread by national leadership.

Targeted lockdowns are a killing joke. If you turn this back over to the state and local officials, you'll have the same mishmosh of misunderstood rules, and people will travel from place to place, and we'll never be rid of it.

The lack of a comprehensive national plan has made this disease the second-leading cause of death in the US behind heart disease, and it's catching up.

We wasted a whole ******* year killing innocent people, destroying the economy, and racking up more of a huge national debt. And we've got a good two months of it coming up, in the middle of winter. The deaths are going to accelerate. Good chance we'll have 400,000 dead by mid-March, and a balkanized health care system strained beyond capacity.

It's time for a solid lockdown followed by a comprehensive plan of mask wearing, relentless testing, contact tracing, and PPE production. This MIGHT buy us enough time to get a reasonably proven vaccine established, produced and distributed. This will also take a monumental national effort.

We've already proven to a fare-thee-well that anything less is sheer folly.

144K for the whole country? Heck, Dallas county was about 1% of that total all by itself. Way to go Dallas county!

To be fair, about half their police force is busy just putting one South Louisiana man in jail.

The only "mistake in the spring" was the wilful ignorance and misinformation spread by national leadership.

Targeted lockdowns are a killing joke. If you turn this back over to the state and local officials, you'll have the same mishmosh of misunderstood rules, and people will travel from place to place, and we'll never be rid of it.

The lack of a comprehensive national plan has made this disease the second-leading cause of death in the US behind heart disease, and it's catching up.

We wasted a whole ******* year killing innocent people, destroying the economy, and racking up more of a huge national debt. And we've got a good two months of it coming up, in the middle of winter. The deaths are going to accelerate. Good chance we'll have 400,000 dead by mid-March, and a balkanized health care system strained beyond capacity.

It's time for a solid lockdown followed by a comprehensive plan of mask wearing, relentless testing, contact tracing, and PPE production. This MIGHT buy us enough time to get a reasonably proven vaccine established, produced and distributed. This will also take a monumental national effort.

We've already proven to a fare-thee-well that anything less is sheer folly.

I'm all for a national plan and national leadership - it is sorely needed. And the plan obviously needs to include lockdowns in hotspots etc. But a one size fits all approach is not going to work. We're not New Zealand.

The problem we have now isn't about the lockdown, it's more about people not being willing participants in said lockdown. If we do another national lockdown, I really don't think behavior is gonna change much. People have just decided to say screw it all and do what they want because to them, what difference does it make?

A national lockdown, a real one, 3-4 weeks, can and will have a big impact on slowing the spread of the virus. We just have to bite the bullet and do it. It would set the economy back short term, but long term, we'll be on the flip side of this thing and can move on. But, meh, too many are opposed to it, so it ain't happening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom