COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (8 Viewers)

I also started accumulating supplies in January and February then started replinishing them in the summer. I even have chlorox and lysol wipes as well as spray lysol. Haven't seen those available since February.

I do hear a lot of people complaining about people like me that are prepared because they didn't believe in Covid. Ironically, they are now without toilet paper, screaming on social media about how the toilet paper should be divided up equally. If this continues through Christmas then I'm done with my Christmas shopping.
I'm lucky that I ordered some TP from costco like a week ago online. Showed up on Tuesday. ;)

As much crap as I've talked about racing to get a vaccine, I'm in the same boat. So far, the data that has been released makes the vaccine a no-brainer but until the bulk of the data is released I think anyone should reserve the right to be skeptical. Under the assumption the data that has been presented by both Pfizer and Moderna is correct and not misleading then I think any reservations about the vaccine from all but the anti-vax crowd will quickly disappear. Pfizer has been extremely honest, tempered expectations and has acted very responsible throughout but they are still a big pharma company. Moderna on the other hand has shown some sleezy tendancies along the way with the sale of stock and announcement timings. If it were just Moderna, I'd have a lot more doubt.

I'd love to depend on the FDA but the FDA has also been treated as a political toolbox by this administration and it is very difficult to trust them. I have a lot more trust in Fauci, Birx and EU.
Most of us our age aren't going to be first in line to get it anyway. So, we'll have more time to see if there are any issues.

You couldn't pay me to participate in this nonsense.

You couldn't pay me to participate in this nonsense.

I'd say it's unbelievable, but I know better. It is totally believable. People just don't give a shirt anymore because they're selfish.

Initial data from the AstraZenaca/Oxford candidate vaccine phase III trials is in, indicating up to 90% efficacy depending on dosing regimen. So that's promising.

All we have to do now is be patient and sensible while we wait for the final results, approval, and distribution. If only we'd shown we were collectively capable of being patient and sensible. Vaccines are looking good, but we're still in for a rough ride for a while longer I fear.

The news from AstraZeneca is VERY good. They should be in position to push out more doses of vaccine in the next 2-4 months than Pfizer and Moderna combined.

Very positive news. An average of 70% effectiveness is still very high. The results look a little strange in their outcome, with a lower first dose being more effective, but it may result in a better immune response.

The news from AstraZeneca is VERY good. They should be in position to push out more doses of vaccine in the next 2-4 months than Pfizer and Moderna combined.

Very positive news. An average of 70% effectiveness is still very high. The results look a little strange in their outcome, with a lower first dose being more effective, but it may result in a better immune response.
Yes and it means the same amount of vaccine made can serve more people.

Another main point is that it only has to be refrigerated, not frozen. This makes it far easier to distribute globally.

Another main point is that it only has to be refrigerated, not frozen. This makes it far easier to distribute globally.
Yes and it means the same amount of vaccine made can serve more people.

This is nothing short of GREAT NEWS. This will be the vaccine that ends the pandemic worldwide. (It will take at least two years for that to happen.)

Looking at it more closely and thinking about it more. It makes sense that a lower first dose and higher second dose can be more effective. This is more of a traditional vaccine and it ramps up the immune response differently than the mRNA vaccines.

Assuming that AstraZeneca has 60 million doses that it can deliver in the USA in the next six weeks (This is my best guess, as of now.) that would mean that 40 million people could be vaccinated. (If it would be 40 million doses, that would vaccinate about 26.7 million people.) I think the low estimate would be 30 million doses in the USA, for a total of 20 million people being vaccinated.

Add up 12.5 million people from Pfizer, 10 million from Moderna and say, another 20 million from AstraZeneca, you are then at 42.5 million people in the USA. That is all of your healthcare workers, nursing home residents, and a decent percentage of people who have the most threatening other conditions. I estimate that additional monthly vaccine roll out of doses in the USA in January onward, will likely total another 20-30 million people every month. We could be between 100-130 million people vaccinated by April 1st. That is around the point where I anticipate that anyone who wants a vaccine, will pretty much be able to get a vaccine. We will run out of very "willing" arms by April 15th. Then it will be a PR campaign to get people vaccinated.

This vaccine is also MUCH easier to distribute and easier to mass produce. This is the first vaccine announced that will, in effect, help to vaccinate the world.

"As part of the initiative, AstraZeneca announced during the summer it would make 1.3bn doses of its then untried vaccine available at cost to ensure that any vaccine was not cornered by the world’s wealthiest countries."

"The arrangement follows deals both with Covax and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (Cepi), which agreed to help fund AstraZeneca’s vaccine manufacturing programme even while it was still being developed."

"Under the arrangement the Serum Institute of India will produce 1bn doses under licence from AstraZeneca for India and low-income countries with the aim of producing 400m doses by the end of the year."

"Even before the interim results of the vaccine’s phase 3 trials were announced it was suggested that the Indian government would rapidly follow any emergency use authorisation issued by the UK government to grant its own emergency use authorisation."

“We have started manufacturing the product,” the Serum Institute’s executive director, Suresh Jadhav, said over the weekend, adding that the institute could produce 50m-60m doses of the vaccine candidate developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University every month from January, with 80m-100m doses already produced."

(This vaccine is being produced on multiple continents, the production in India is just part of the overall production.)

There is real hope.

Meanwhile, yesterday, my daughter had a field hockey jamboree and the kids had two 45 minute games. The field is the same size as a football field (100x60 yards), and all the kids played in masks the whole time, Nobody seemed low on oxygen.

There were about 70 parents in the stands. Every last one of them had a mask on; I know because I had to walk the length to switch end zones at halftime (she plays D).

This should not have been that hard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom