COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [13,137,962 US cases, 268,219 US deaths.] (23 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Healthy reminder that the media often runs with stories that may be total BS if it fits the narrative or gets eyeballs/clicks.

This is a very, very important point. Stories like this that fit into a narrative go viral so easily. It's also an important point that your article doesn't claim she was making it up, but challenging the scope of the problem. For all we know, it was 2 patients she had that were like this, but it made a big impression on her -- so the scope can be quite limited.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I want to start by saying we are not anti-vaxxers. Complete opposite really. My wife is the one that got me on the flu vaccine when we met...before that I'd never had one. My wife is a healthcare worker and will presumably be offered the vaccine kinda early. She asked me the other day if I was going to take the shot and I said most definitely. Shocking to me she was undecided. She also said most people where she works were also leary of it. I think they're come to trust the process we've had for vaccine approval so this speedy version gives them pause. Pretty sure she will get it but her questioning the safety of this one surprised me.
If that's the case, then consider getting the Pfizer vaccine. It was developed in Germany and is not part of the "Warp Speed" program beyond distribution.

I will say that the FDA, IMO, has been doing its job. The vaccines would have been released in October but the FDA is demanding two months of documentation after closing the phase 3 trial to fully document side effects and other possible issues. Then of course we have Dr Fauci who doesn't give a damn what Trump says or does. He's been fully on board with these vaccine announcements.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I want to start by saying we are not anti-vaxxers. Complete opposite really. My wife is the one that got me on the flu vaccine when we met...before that I'd never had one. My wife is a healthcare worker and will presumably be offered the vaccine kinda early. She asked me the other day if I was going to take the shot and I said most definitely. Shocking to me she was undecided. She also said most people where she works were also leary of it. I think they're come to trust the process we've had for vaccine approval so this speedy version gives them pause. Pretty sure she will get it but her questioning the safety of this one surprised me.
I was concerned that the approval process was being rushed and/or safety was being bypassed and/or rushed to get the vaccine out before November 3. But, now that that date has passed, and they seem to be taking their time to do everything right, I feel pretty safe taking the vaccine and plan to do it when it is available to me. There is, of course, some risk as there is with any medicine you take, but I feel much more confident in the process at this point.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the money shot. Group A is asymptomatic. Group B is ICU admission. Orange is Vitamin D deficient.

1605931057583.png

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
And for those wondering.

For this study, the researchers measured vitamin D levels in 3.4 million blood samples collected weekly in the United States between July 2006 and December 2011. The results appear in the journal PLoS One.

"Even with food fortification, vitamin D levels in the population show a high level of seasonality due to the influence of sunlight," study first author Amy Kasahara, a UC Irvine graduate student in public health, said in a university news release.

"In this study, we have shown that vitamin D levels lag the solar cycle, peaking in August and troughing in February," she said.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Last edited:

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We prepared ahead of time. Have 2 packs of Charmin from Costco in a closet.

We started taking 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 a week ago. We’re not in the sun nearly as much.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
We prepared ahead of time. Have 2 packs of Charmin from Costco in a closet.

We started taking 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 a week ago. We’re not in the sun nearly as much.
I bought toilet paper and paper towels from Costco last week. Is it my imagination or has the price gone up?

One pack was $20 and the other was $23.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 12)