COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (8 Viewers)

I agree - but Warp Speed, as I understand it, is more about the logistics of delivering a vaccine across the United States in a massive effort.

I the history here is that Pfizer has not worked with the administration on its vaccine because it didn't think it needed to and didn't want to let the White House have leverage on the company and its communications to be used for political purposes. So when the VP claims it was a partnership, Pfizer is going to correct the record.

It's good to see Pfizer was about to do this on its own without government involvement, speaks volume of the free market.

So it looks like it's a little of both. Pfizer's development was independent of the government but they did agree to a contract for 100M doses (nearly $2B worth) so it's not quite either.

Pfizer played both sides of the game. They were not a "formal member" of Operation Warp Speed, but they did partake in the streamlined regulatory process, they did sign a massive supply contract with the US Government on July 22, 2020. They did take a "risk" by not taking the development money, but they also signed a huge supply contract with the USA, and as I am writing this.....The European Union STILL has not signed an agreement with Pfizer. Something the USA did three and a half months ago...... USA will get the first 100 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine and has an option for 500 million more doses. Europe has not even signed a contract yet with Pfizer.

This is a direct quote from a Pfizer Press Release, dated 7/22/2020:

"Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced the execution of an agreement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Defense to meet the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed program goal to begin delivering 300 million doses of a vaccine for COVID-19 in 2021. Under the agreement, the U.S. government will receive 100 million doses of BNT162, the COVID-19 vaccine candidate jointly developed by Pfizer and BioNTech, after Pfizer successfully manufactures and obtains approval or emergency use authorization from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). "

"The U.S. government will pay the companies $1.95 billion upon the receipt of the first 100 million doses, following FDA authorization or approval. The U.S. government also can acquire up to an additional 500 million doses."

Now, lets look at Europe.....and the European Union.....can you say riding the coattails of the USA on anything to do with backing pharmaceutical development? Dated November 9, 2020, that would be today.

"RUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union will soon sign a contract for millions of doses of the COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Pfizer and BioNTech , the head of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen said on Monday."

"The remark was made hours after the two companies said their experimental vaccine was more than 90% effective, in what could be a major victory in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic."

"The European Commission, which is negotiating with vaccine makers on behalf of EU states, had said in September it had concluded exploratory talks with U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech over the supply of 200 million doses of their potential COVID-19 shot, with an option to buy another 100 million."

"However, a deal has not been announced yet."

It's good to see Pfizer was about to do this on its own without government involvement, speaks volume of the free market.

The Pfizer Press Release of July 22, 2020, says explicitly that the contract they signed with the USA for the FIRST 100 million doses was....to meet the goal of the U.S. government's Operation Warp Speed Program.....

"Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced the execution of an agreement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Defense to meet the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed program goal to begin delivering 300 million doses of a vaccine for COVID-19 in 2021. Under the agreement, the U.S. government will receive 100 million doses of BNT162, the COVID-19 vaccine candidate jointly developed by Pfizer and BioNTech, after Pfizer successfully manufactures and obtains approval or emergency use authorization from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

In the end, I don't really care who did what and who paid for what and all that.....as long as the vaccine works and gets to people as quickly as is safely possible.

I agree 100%.

We, and the world, need more than one vaccine that works and is effective. The Moderna vaccine will very likely be on par with the Pfizer vaccine on efficacy, and should announce results fairly soon. (It uses the same basic technology as the Pfizer vaccine.) Astra Zeneca and JNJ should be the next major companies with results. They both anticipate results by the end of December, 2020. There are several other companies that expect results in early to mid 2021.

We need multiple vaccines that work for many reasons. Some are easier to dispense logistically, some may have better efficacy in particular groups of people, i.e., older folks or people with other health concerns. One of the main reasons we need multiple shots on goal that work, is that we need the manufacturing capacity of all of these companies to make hundreds of millions and eventually likely billions of doses of their respective vaccines.

Some of these companies are producing potential vaccines "at risk" before they know if they will work. Hundreds of millions of doses of these various vaccines are in the pipeline to get manufactured. It will be a huge undertaking to vaccinate enough people in the developed countries, in other parts of the world, it will be a monumental undertaking.

This is very exciting and positive news. The first true light at the end of this tunnel.

In local news, we had a traveling evangelical mask-truther concert event at Jackson Square that the city somehow knew nothing about.

The same city that didn't know Tulane was hosting a game on campus to start the season? You don't say!

Cantrell said she first learned of the event via an email tip from a resident. She said her administration believed the organizers would not hold the event after being told it was not allowed under city guidelines, but planning went "underground" and the event went on.

Sean Feucht's response:

Don’t let a virus with 99% recovery rate hold you back from bringing Jesus to people that need desperately need him! Don’t let the mob silence you! Share the GOOD NEWS the world needs TODAY!

Meanwhile, in LA where there are residents and GOP state leaders bemoaning the Governor's actions, as well as the Mayor of N.O., this is happening:

The U.S. is again in the midst of a record-breaking wave of coronavirus, its third of the year, with outbreaks in the Midwest pushing the country's daily count of new cases above 120,000.

But Louisiana appears to be bucking the trend. At least for now.

1604973168305.png

Well sheet. Wife’s mom just had to be admitted into the hospital for Covid. Her dad is avoiding the hospital at this point, just very limited. But her mom is having a really hard time.
And it wasn’t even 2 weeks ago he was telling my wife how it was just a flu and as soon as the election was over it would go away

If you ever needed a reminder that neither your government nor your employer care about you...

Well sheet. Wife’s mom just had to be admitted into the hospital for Covid. Her dad is avoiding the hospital at this point, just very limited. But her mom is having a really hard time.
And it wasn’t even 2 weeks ago he was telling my wife how it was just a flu and as soon as the election was over it would go away
I've got COVID. Feeling ok, but had some bad days last week. It goes back to that decision by the facility ownership group for rehab to treat patients on the Covid hot unit. So now we're in the news and it's 4 deaths. Our maintenance supervisor was in ICU and on a vent. was moved off the vent but went into cardiac arrest and passed away :(

Oh man, that sounds like a difficult case - I hope she recovers quickly.

I've got COVID. Feeling ok, but had some bad days last week. It goes back to that decision by the facility ownership group for rehab to treat patients on the Covid hot unit. So now we're in the news and it's 4 deaths. Our maintenance supervisor was in ICU and on a vent. was moved off the vent but went into cardiac arrest and passed away :(

That's rough, sorry man. When you say 'bad days' do you mean "I feel so crappy" or "I might have to go to the hospital"? I'm just curious, it's still remarkable how seemingly similar people can have such a wide degree of seriousness of this disease.

I hope you get back to your old self very soon!

That's rough, sorry man. When you say 'bad days' do you mean "I feel so crappy" or "I might have to go to the hospital"? I'm just curious, it's still remarkable how seemingly similar people can have such a wide degree of seriousness of this disease.

I hope you get back to your old self very soon!
Hey Chuck, thanks! Bad days were bouts of fever, severe aches, and fatigue. No respiratory issues. I may need to go on blood thinners for a week to reduce the risk of clots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom