COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (16 Viewers)

My local school system announced that it will be virtual only for the rest of the semester.
Likewise. My kids had been going 2 days a week, but last week the high school announced that the next two weeks would be full remote, and then this week it was just announced that all schools were going remote for the rest of the semester.

I'm not looking forward to it.

We were planning to go to SC to see my sister but we canceled. What we are experiencing right now is the Halloween/Election Day spike, and it is going to stick for a while since people have all but thrown out the idea of distancing. That means the Thanksgiving spike is going to be a snowball effect of epic proportions. I'm not getting mixed up in that.

I'm all for a national plan and national leadership - it is sorely needed. And the plan obviously needs to include lockdowns in hotspots etc. But a one size fits all approach is not going to work. We're not New Zealand.
The localized whack-a-mole strategy has proven it doesn't work either. The virus travels with people. The only way stay at home on a local level (mischaracterized as "lockdowns") works is if no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is allowed to travel into or out of those local areas. The virus travels with people. Again, the virus travels with people. It's stubborn that way.

I'm not looking forward to it.
So we have about as clear a picture as possible on what will happen in two weeks, but we're going to roll on ahead as if there is nothing to worry about. People are too selfish and ignorant to avoid big Thanksgiving gatherings (along with the upcoming Christmas parties). This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

The localized whack-a-mole strategy has proven it doesn't work either. The virus travels with people. The only way stay at home on a local level (mischaracterized as "lockdowns") works is if no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is allowed to travel into or out of those local areas. The virus travels with people. Again, the virus travels with people. It's stubborn that way.

Unfortunately there is no way to stop 100% of human travel/interaction in modern US society and bubbles like NZ are very tough to pull off, especially in a continent-sized country where half the people won't listen to the government anyway. (And even NZ has had a few cases again.)

Even with a strict stay at home order, truck drivers need to deliver food, utility workers need to get out to work, prison guards/nurses/cops have to travel to/from their jobs, etc. Like you said the virus travels with people, so its not going away until a vaccine or total herd immunity.

Personally I think the CDC plan (Phases 1-3 based on key metrics, etc) is pretty good and whether you call it whack a mole or targeted, it's about the only plan that has a realistic shot. Of course it would have worked much better if the head of the gov hadn't crapped all over it at every turn, but here we are.

People wont stay at home until they get hit in the face with it unfortunately. Any plan that doesn't account for that fact is doomed to fail, no matter how sound the science behind it is.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been on a pretty much self-imposed lovkdown other than going to the store and getting gas. It's kinda pointless though because two of my kids are working. One in an Amazon warehouse and the other at a restaurant. So far, we've managed to stay healthy. We'll see if that lasts.
Pretty much been that way from the start. My daughter works at amazon also, and my son is working also. Wife’s school got shut down for 14 days due to 1/5 of the staff positive, but mine has been more or less fine so far.
Mask, washing, limiting contact, exercise, eat healthy, vitamin D. What else can you do?

So we have about as clear a picture as possible on what will happen in two weeks, but we're going to roll on ahead as if there is nothing to worry about. People are too selfish and ignorant to avoid big Thanksgiving gatherings (along with the upcoming Christmas parties). This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Don't forget the New Years Eve celebrations!

Unfortunately there is no way to stop 100% of human travel/interaction in modern US society ...
Even with a strict stay at home order, truck drivers need to deliver food, utility workers need to get out to work, prison guards/nurses/cops have to travel to/from their jobs, etc.
Which is exactly why localized, "just in the areas that need it," responses continually fail. Essential workers, like food delivery workers, need to travel in and out of hot spots. No matter how safe they all try to be while in those spots, some of them get infected. When an infected essential worker travels to an area under a less restrictive phase, they expose the people in that area to infections. Due to the lessor restrictions in that area, an outbreak occurs and by the time the outbreak is detected, it infects a lot of people some of who then spread it to other areas.

The cycle then repeats itself. Every area that doesn't have an outbreak is doomed to get an outbreak if they act as if they are free from a threat of an outbreak. This has been historically proven true dozens of times since February.

In a society that moves around as much as we do in the US, a local area is everything within the contiguous US, so a localized plan means the same plan for the entire contiguous US. That's the only thing that will work and it would work if people weren't so determined to not give it a chance to work.

All this it's "not going away" talk is irrelevantly fatalistic. Sure, we can't make it just go away, but we don't have to make it go away to save 100's of thousands of lives. We could save 100's of thousands of lives if we would just allow ourselves to collectively be bothered and inconvenienced for a few months. It's tragic that some folks keep trying to rationalize excuses for why personal convenience has to trump saving 100's of thousands of lives.

Last edited:
Don't forget the New Years Eve celebrations!
I honestly don't think we'll make it that far. Thanksgiving and early holiday parties are going to come a month to two weeks before Christmas and New Years Eve. The virus will do its thing in that amount of time.

In a society that moves around as much as we do in the US, a local area is everything within the contiguous US, so a localized plan means the same plan for the entire contiguous US. That's the only thing that will work and it would work if people weren't so determined to not give it a chance to work.

Right. You can't wall off any city but you can mitigate as best you can in each location but ultimately our net is too leaky for a national lockdown or stay at home order or whatever. The virus is going to virus no matter what, as we see in Europe and almost everywhere else.

This thread continually observes that Americans are stupid and selfish AF. We should adapt our approach to match this reality instead of hoping that everyone will somehow agree to a national 4 week lockdown/stay at home order for the greater good even if their community has it under control and it might mean missing a paycheck. It's just wishful thinking.

Maybe I am wrong and our populace will get religion on COVID but I doubt it.

FWIW I wrestle with this every day at work, trying to convince people why this is important. The amount of BS I get back is hilarious. The virus will just have to run its course I'm afraid.

First off, based on what is currently known and believed about the virus, I'm at a low risk for death, serious illness and/or long term complications from the virus. I say this, because too many people dismiss those who express concern about this virus as being "scared" of the virus. My concern for the virus has very little do to with what it might do to me personally and everything to do with what we know it would do to millions of us.
Right. You can't wall off any city but you can mitigate as best you can in each location ...
We don't have to "wall off" any city to save 100's of thousands of lives. We can't save 100's of thousands of lives unless we all do the same thing at the same time.

... but ultimately our net is too leaky for a national lockdown or stay at home order or whatever.
We've never had a lockdown and we don't need to completely stop the spread of the virus to save 100's of thousands of lives. Calling the mitigation efforts, of restricting our public activities to essential activities only, a lockdown is a mischaracterization that creates a false impression of what we can successfully do and what we need to do to save 100's of thousands of lives. We don't need a lockdown to save 100's of thousands of lives. We simply need to adapt and adjust our lives to avoid public activities that aren't essential.

The virus is going to virus no matter what, as we see in Europe and almost everywhere else.
Both false and fatalistic. The virus is completely at our mercy. It can't spread without us. Without us it's completely helpless and inert. What we see in Europe is that as soon as they stopped doing what was keeping the virus from spreading, it started spreading again. The virus didn't and can't defy efforts to stop it's spread. Every spread is a direct result of when people stop doing the things that prevent the spread.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone that says anything resembling "there's nothing we can do" or "we have to accept" has personally decided they don't want to cooperate with a community effort to slow the spread of the virus to save 100's of thousands of lives and are projecting their own refusal to cooperate onto the rest of society in an effort to rationalize and justify to themselves the personal choice they have made.

Doing what's best for everyone right now is not easy for anyone. If a person chooses to put their wants above the temporary needs of our society, that's their choice. All I ask is that they own it, instead of trying to rationalize their personal choice as the logical, best and/or only choice, it's none of those.

Last edited:
The virus is completely at our mercy. It can't spread without us. Without us it's completely helpless and inert.

Yes, this is the simple (but boring) truth. Those without masks are the weak links. We need to stick together.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom