COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (12 Viewers)

I really get annoyed at people who continue to go around and say, "But covid has a 97% recovery rate!" in order to dismiss the blatant out of control handling of the pandemic in the USA as cases break records. These types completely negate the fact that even if you recover from it, that doesn't mean you won't have long term effects/permanent damage. The spread rates of the virus have dictated policy, not the result of the virus(death or survival). If you have a crazy outbreak in a sector, you will more than likely see restrictions put in place in that sector. Everything we've done as a society thus far in regards to covid-19 has been based on rate of spread and case numbers.

My town, and State are working on a distribution plan but I don't trust that -94 degrees Fahrenheit temperature requirement. Do we really expect Walgreens and CVS to manage that?

My town, and State are working on a distribution plan but I don't trust that -94 degrees Fahrenheit temperature requirement. Do we really expect Walgreens and CVS to manage that?

The other thing I wondered about is how many boxes of these vaccines will “fall off the truck” since it will be such a high demand product and I’m not sure how vigilant the black market will be about quality control

I really get annoyed at people who continue to go around and say, "But covid has a 97% recovery rate!" in order to dismiss the blatant out of control handling of the pandemic in the USA as cases break records.

I have a friend that tried that on me. He was arguing against the stay-at-home mandates back in April and said the death rate was 0.02%. With such a small number we can't destroy the economy. I didn't say anything, I took out my iPhone, opened the Calculator app and input 320,000,000 * 0.02. Then turned my phone to show him the number and asked if he was seriously ok with 6.4million Americans dying if we did nothing. And then explained that number was only from Covid patients and doesn't include people with other conditions who can't get proper care due to hospitals being maxed out. He didn't have much of a reaction.

First off, based on what is currently known and believed about the virus, I'm at a low risk for death, serious illness and/or long term complications from the virus. I say this, because too many people dismiss those who express concern about this virus as being "scared" of the virus. My concern for the virus has very little do to with what it might do to me personally and everything to do with what we know it would do to millions of us.
We don't have to "wall off" any city to save 100's of thousands of lives. We can't save 100's of thousands of lives unless we all do the same thing at the same time.

We've never had a lockdown and we don't need to completely stop the spread of the virus to save 100's of thousands of lives. Calling the mitigation efforts, of restricting our public activities to essential activities only, a lockdown is a mischaracterization that creates a false impression of what we can successfully do and what we need to do to save 100's of thousands of lives. We don't need a lockdown to save 100's of thousands of lives. We simply need to adapt and adjust our lives to avoid public activities that aren't essential.

Both false and fatalistic. The virus is completely at our mercy. It can't spread without us. Without us it's completely helpless and inert. What we see in Europe is that as soon as they stopped doing what was keeping the virus from spreading, it started spreading again. The virus didn't and can't defy efforts to stop it's spread. Every spread is a direct result of when people stop doing the things that prevent the spread.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone that says anything resembling "there's nothing we can do" or "we have to accept" has personally decided they don't want to cooperate with a community effort to slow the spread of the virus to save 100's of thousands of lives and are projecting their own refusal to cooperate onto the rest of society in an effort to rationalize and justify to themselves the personal choice they have made.

Doing what's best for everyone right now is not easy for anyone. If a person chooses to put their wants above the temporary needs of our society, that's their choice. All I ask is that they own it, instead of trying to rationalize their personal choice as the logical, best and/or only choice, it's none of those.

I must not be making my points very clearly because I do not believe there is nothing we can do or that we must accept unchecked spread of the virus. Like you, I am at pretty low risk but have been doing all the 'right' things since spring (though I am probably out and about more than some people) because I understand how the virus spreads, at least as much as any lay person does, and I don't want my family or co-workers to go down, and I want my employer to stay open for business so I can keep getting a paycheck.

I just think a national stay at home order is not a realistic option nor is it smart science - people will only comply with it for so long (even if its not a full lockdown). It can't be done indefinitely, and in the case of closing down otherwise functioning health care and other services in areas that are not being overrun by COVID it is bad for overall public health. And yes, even with all that, including a national stay at home order, I still think the virus will still find a way to spread (though hopefully in a much more manageable fashion) because there is always a weak link somewhere. I think that's being realistic not fatalistic.

I think we agree on most of what needs to be done I just would follow the plan Fauci et al put forth that calls for varying restrictions based on local conditions rather than a blanket stay at home order (enforced by whom?). We absolutely can save 100,000s of lives that way. Hell we probably already have, which is scary to think about.

I think the Gov of Colorado is about to announce a total shutdown today.
My son's school went back to remote learning because one staff member had symptoms and was around other staff members. All are now in quarantine and there is no one to run the school in person. So we're down until Nov 30th at the earliest. If the Governor shut it all down we won't be sending our son back to school at all..

One ray of hope is that Boulder county schools (next to our school district) went to remote learning until Jan 5th but they're thinking of going to in person for special education on Nov 30th. I've got my fingers crossed that the same will happen

I save our ISDs Dashboard info before the 2nd 9 weeks started. These were the numbers on Oct 19th. Students(parents) were allowed to change from remote to in-person for the 2nd 9 weeks, and a lot of them made the switch.

Active Student Lab+ Cases15
Active Staff Lab+ Cases15
Student Stay-Home Period Complete52
Staff Stay-Home Period Complete23

Here's the numbers 4 weeks later:

Active Student Lab+ Cases64
Active Staff Lab+ Cases18
Student Stay-Home Period Complete120
Staff Stay-Home Period Complete60

I have a friend that tried that on me. He was arguing against the stay-at-home mandates back in April and said the death rate was 0.02%. With such a small number we can't destroy the economy. I didn't say anything, I took out my iPhone, opened the Calculator app and input 320,000,000 * 0.02. Then turned my phone to show him the number and asked if he was seriously ok with 6.4million Americans dying if we did nothing. And then explained that number was only from Covid patients and doesn't include people with other conditions who can't get proper care due to hospitals being maxed out. He didn't have much of a reaction.
Good job your friend didn't realise multiplying by 0.02 gives the value for 2%, not 0.02%. ;)

It's clearly not 0.02% anyway; 0.02% is one five-thousandth of the population, which would be around 64,000. And there's already been something like 250,000 deaths? However you look at it, that's bad.

It's desperate how people try to rationalise this. Either they have a wildly unrealistic idea of how dangerous this is, or they acknowledge how dangerous it is but somehow try to argue that's not that bad. You have to wonder what their basis for comparison is.

Louisiana data today markedly more concerning than it has been.

Apparently a lot of the increase in Louisiana is in the Ouachita Parish area ( and a few other places), but the numbers do look like they are ever so slowly starting to rise in Orleans Parish. Hopefully Orleans can stop the trend before it really gets going.

Good job your friend didn't realise multiplying by 0.02 gives the value for 2%, not 0.02%. ;)

It's clearly not 0.02% anyway; 0.02% is one five-thousandth of the population, which would be around 64,000. And there's already been something like 250,000 deaths? However you look at it, that's bad.

It's desperate how people try to rationalise this. Either they have a wildly unrealistic idea of how dangerous this is, or they acknowledge how dangerous it is but somehow try to argue that's not that bad. You have to wonder what their basis for comparison is.

I know I've said this before, but I think it all goes back to the old saying "One death is a tragedy, but one million deaths is a statistic."

Many people don't seem to really care about deaths unless it is someone they care about. All deaths of people they don't know or care about are just statistics.

Apparently a lot of the increase in Louisiana is in the Ouachita Parish area ( and a few other places), but the numbers do look like they are ever so slowly starting to rise in Orleans Parish. Hopefully Orleans can stop the trend before it really gets going.

I don't think it's possible without a new round of broad scale mitigation - but will people accept it? Particularly with Thanksgiving on the horizon - where thousands will come home to New Orleans from elsewhere. And then a few days later, the college students will come back to New Orleans from wherever they went.

It's gonna be a long December.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom