COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (20 Viewers)

This was a week ago. One week!

Today?

155K cases. 77K hospitalized. 1,565 deaths

Thats a Tuesday number and Sun-Tues are always low. Wednesday increases some, Thursday is bigger but the big numbers come on Friday and Saturday. We're crossing 200k this week, likely going to touch 225k Friday or Saturday. If the numbers stop rising while the percent positive continues to climb then it will mean testing is maxed out which most data has happening this week or next. I think this week is the breaking point but we probably won't know it until after Thanksgiving which will be like spraying nitrous on covid.

Still think too much credit is being given to treatments to lowering the death rate. With the system overwhelmed, increases in age testing positive and reduced vitamin D levels I think we are about to see the full ravage of Covid in the number of dead. Models are predicting 2k dead a day by Christmas, I think we hit that next week.

I know it sounds doom and gloom but it is the option we chose. Im just locking down the hatches and will smile every time I see someone posting anti-vax stuff on social knowing it will be one less person in line and one day sooner for it to end for my family. Its selfish time.

Last edited:
I disagree. Europe and the US will not allow the economy to go into a recession, let alone a depression. It's too easy to issue stimulus without giving thought to what happens to the dollar and Euro. The next depression will be a collapse and it is coming unless we find some fiscal sense in a hurry. We are literally doing to ourselves what we forced the Soviet Union to do before they collapsed and China is just sitting in the corner watching and waiting to take our place as the world super power. Whether that be tomorrow or decades away is the only question. Free money isn't free. The second round of stimulus was completely avoidable along with hundreds of thousands of deaths. The PPP money should have been limited to restaurants, theatres, sports teams, airlines and everything in the travel industry or requires a crowd. Everyone else didn't need it because we should have had the borders closed up in early February, had widespread free testing and contact tracing in place. We should have seen the surges coming through the pneumonia and flu tracking programs and we should have shut those cities down for a few weeks and issued stimulus to them accordingly. We should have had enough PPP and masks in reserve that we did not allow this to run rampant through the healthcare system and we should have been able to issue a national mask mandate and closed down schools right away. We should have had federal leadership encouraging everyone to pull together and we should have been treating this as an opportunity to pull the country together and rally like we were fighting a war. Had we done these things then we would have been able to all but eliminate the virus before it ever got started and saved the country from massive stimulus and the economy from getting shredded. This is not a case of hindsight, it is a case of EXACTLY WHAT WE PREPARED FOR OVER THE LAST 4 DECADES. It was all laid out in the pandemic playbook. Unfortunately the only countries that used our playbook were Asian countries and it is not forgiveable.

There is a massive amount of truth in this post with some of want people don't want to hear

I think she went to far with her politicizing, but her point is valid. Had a patient over the weekend that tested positive for Covid. Old, frail, could barely talk without getting winded. Patient's grown adult son yelled at us because we were making it up to "get more money." We're diagnosing toe pains as Covid, didnt believe it could happen to them because their parent "don't go nowhere." Only the two adult kids go to their parent's house and they never had any symptoms. Of course the kids work, socialized with others, etc., but the parents didn't so it was a lie.

Misinformation is directly contributing to the inflating death count. People that should know better are being swept away by social media propaganda that they can't discern from reality. There is a segment of the government at both state and federal levels that should be held responsible for their role in this misinformation.

I think she went to far with her politicizing, but her point is valid. Had a patient over the weekend that tested positive for Covid. Old, frail, could barely talk without getting winded. Patient's grown adult son yelled at us because we were making it up to "get more money." We're diagnosing toe pains as Covid, didnt believe it could happen to them because their parent "don't go nowhere." Only the two adult kids go to their parent's house and they never had any symptoms. Of course the kids work, socialized with others, etc., but the parents didn't so it was a lie.

Misinformation is directly contributing to the inflating death count. People that should know better are being swept away by social media propaganda that they can't discern from reality. There is a segment of the government at both state and federal levels that should be held responsible for their role in this misinformation.
this, to me, is the kicker, if all sides of politics wouldn't have tried to use this for political gain, people probably would have taken it more seriously in April/may/June. or if, when the first thread on SR started about this "virus in china" last December, the government took a good look and was more proactive. maybe stuff could/would be different. I know us at SR have a lot of knowledgeable people. but if we were keeping up with it, how'd the government not know stuff like mardi gras this year was a bad idea?

I rem having a vacation to Tulum planned in may of 2020 since may of 2019, friends thought we were crazy in about Jan/Feb when we said we wont be going because of "coronavirus". then low and behold, about 4 weeks out from leaving, they had to cancel.

I got/still get all my info on covid in this thread, just rarely post in it because I'm not as educated in this as you guys.

Mardi Gras parade. Wasn't there a death or 2 in the last one and Cantrell was already talking about shutting them down before covid?

Cantrell was not talking about shutting down parades before COVID. There were two deaths both I believe caused by people trying to go between two halves of tandem floats. Cantrell was talking about getting rid of tandem floats as a safety measure and possibly implementing other safety measures to stop dumb people from getting too close to floats.

Just fork irresponsible people. Fork em all. I've stayed home and done what I've had to do as best I can. Seeing idiots running around with no masks, hosting parties and generally putting others at risk is just stupid. You have Sturgis, and leaders of states saying "freedomz!" Yeah, you're free to kill people. It's just proof positive that after 10 months, people care more about themselves than they do their neighbors and country.

I've said this before and probably will say it again, when you put party (or your team/tribe) ahead of country, your priorities are whack.

I have been to most of those areas. The reason there are no cases is there are no people. There are no people....for a reason.

"YOU LIVE IN A DESERT!! UNDERSTAND THAT? YOU LIVE IN A ******* DESERT!! NOTHING GROWS HERE! NOTHING'S GONNA GROW HERE! Come here, you see this? This is sand. You know what it's gonna be 100 years from now? IT'S GONNA BE SAND!! YOU LIVE IN A ******* DESERT! We have deserts in America, we just don't LIVE in them, ********!" You know what this is? SAND. You know what it's going to be a thousand years from now? SAND."

Who isn't wearing masks in public settings at this point?

Over the last 4 months or so (in my experience) - it's extremely rare to see someone in the grocery, gas station, restaurant, etc. without a mask... very rare.

On a different anecdotal note: I now have a 1st cousin and a niece (from different parts of the family and in completely different locations)... that wear masks religiously... and that have caught Covid anyway.... both recovered and are fine... both had mild symptoms (loss of taste and smell - light cough - fever).

I'm still fine with masks - and think that some level of protection is better than none... but I am really starting to question how effective they are in general.

"YOU LIVE IN A DESERT!! UNDERSTAND THAT? YOU LIVE IN A ******* DESERT!! NOTHING GROWS HERE! NOTHING'S GONNA GROW HERE! Come here, you see this? This is sand. You know what it's gonna be 100 years from now? IT'S GONNA BE SAND!! YOU LIVE IN A ******* DESERT! We have deserts in America, we just don't LIVE in them, ********!" You know what this is? SAND. You know what it's going to be a thousand years from now? SAND."

Kinison was the best!

Who isn't wearing masks in public settings at this point?

Over the last 4 months or so (in my experience) - it's very rare to see someone in the grocery, gas station, restaurant, etc. without a mask... very rare.

On a different anecdotal note: I now have a 1st cousin and a niece (from different parts of the family and in completely different locations)... that wear masks religiously... that caught Covid anyway.... both recovered and are fine... both had mild symptoms (loss of taste and smell - light cough - fever).

I'm still fine with masks - and think that some level of protection is better than none... but I am really starting to question how effective they are in general.

You know that the masks are mostly about protecting others, right?

We have always know that they aren't very effective in preventing the wearer from getting COVID. A bit of a decrease in risk is simply a side benefit of wearing them for the protection of others. At best, they probably just lower the viral load for the wearer which either results in being able to fight the disease off or in a milder case with milder symptoms.

And I see people with masks under their nose all the time in the grocery and often see people in large groups in City Park without any masks on. Some of those are family groups, but same are people leaving high school football games with groups of other people.

Anyway, most places are reporting that the spread of COVID is more coming from small to medium gatherings at people's homes rather than from public places where people are generally wearing masks, whether they are wearing them properly or not.

You know that the masks are mostly about protecting others, right?

We have always know that they aren't very effective in preventing the wearer from getting COVID. A bit of a decrease in risk is simply a side benefit of wearing them for the protection of others. At best, they probably just lower the viral load for the wearer which either results in being able to fight the disease off or in a milder case with milder symptoms.

And I see people with masks under their nose all the time in the grocery and often see people in large groups in City Park without any masks on. Some of those are family groups, but same are people leaving high school football games with groups of other people.

I firmly believe most people get Covid from family members or close friends. They might not admit it, but they do go maskless around family member or friends visiting the home. It's just natural that people tend to let their guards down around others they trust. I've long believed we need a 4 week complete lockdown if we truly want to stop the disease in its tracks. No visiting friends, no lingering in business establishments, no weddings, parties, large gatherings, small gatherings for four weeks.

But people have no patience and doubt science and politicize public health. It's reprehensible. I've given up the idea that people actually want the virus to go away. I've even gotten to the point that some people kind of like seeing all of the suffering and chaos. They get off on it. Meh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom