COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (12 Viewers)

I was watching a thing about vaccine development which I thought was interesting. The researcher was discussing the time line. He was basically saying that the actual testing timeframe is very similar and that the testing isn’t being rushed. What’s changed is the buttload of cash to keep trials moving as fast as possible, and the review which may sit on a variety of people’s desks for weeks is now being immediately reviewed by everyone as fast as possible. He was saying this was the only real difference in the timeframe.
1. Now about the safety of mRNA. Supposedly, this should be safer than a regular vaccine if the dacuments I’ve read are to be believed. It does it’s signaling to the body and it’s gone. In theory should be very safe with less potential issues. With keeping up as best I can, I’ll happily take it.
As far as things developing, it’s possible, but our knowledge as a scientific community about the body is way ahead of the 1940s and 1950s.
2. Expiration dates only really are an issue in the holding temperature where the levels will decline. With the ultra cold temps it’s being long term stored at there should be no degradation as nothing really happens at those temperatures. I’m pretty sure it’s similar technology to storing eggs and sperm which have a near indefinite shelf life.
3. The person shouldn’t be a carrier as they have immunity. They may have a small amount but it should be pounced on easily by the body. Covid needs a decent dose to cause an infection, and that simply wouldn’t be enough of a viral load.
4. The other part about this is the post where Covid was mutating so badly in a patient that they died because it stays ahead of the immune response. This is simply crap. The HIV virus, which is the most unstable of the bunch doesn’t even do this. Also, the guy insinuating that this virus is similar to common cold virus which are always mutating. First there are over 225 different common cold viruses. While yes, they can mutate, the unique thing about Covid, , and SARS and MERS, is the fact they are not similar to anything else. Once this makes the rounds through having it or getting vaccinated, this family line of coronavirus will be effectively blunted. Yes, people could still get a version, but the body would still recognize that spike which is being used. Hence, you wouldn’t get nearly as sick as the body would pounce on it that much quicker.
Besides, who is running gene sequencing on a single patient to follow the mutations in real life like that? I mean come on people

My question is will it be a one time shot,or require yearly vaccinations like the flu.
Nope one time shot. Coronavirus is stable enough and these are showing a strong immune response. Ignore the whole immunity fading after 4 months thing. That’s active immunity. T and B cell immunity from SARS is still. There after 15 years, and early (8month) data shows this is behaving in the same manner.

This will end up being the biggest super spreader event of the entire pandemic. People protesting voter fraud that didn't happen who don't believe in a virus that is happening. This is sturgis on steroids at a time where daily cases are about 400% higher than when Sturgis took place except instead of the population density of Sturgis, this is taking place in the population dense DC area.

I was in DC last weekend and was so impressed that 95% of people wore masks. And DC has done pretty well overall with the # of cases. Now, that’s about to change 😕

My question is will it be a one time shot,or require yearly vaccinations like the flu.

I think that depends on how the virus continues to circulate and how long the vaccine provides meaningful immunity. The virus itself is quite narrow in its genome - at least compared to other viruses that cause humans to get sick. If effective vaccines are deployed worldwide, it's possible that viral circulation will be so substantially degraded that it is effectively 'gone' in many places. It isn't like the flu (at least not now) where it is more of family of viruses with quite a bit of variation that requires vaccines be reformulated every year.

And, of course, if the immunity provided by the vaccine lasts for some time, that will also work to keep the virus's spread low and not require frequent reinoculation. I posted that report yesterday about new research showing the post-infection immunity appears to be very good (contrary to some earlier anecdotes about re-infection), perhaps even immunity for many years. If the vaccine does the same, that would be hugely helpful in actually eliminating the virus from circulation. Like, at all.

It's a good question. Let's hope that it's less like the flu (as the Facebook physicians tell us) and more like MMR. I remember my high school (late 80's) herding us into the gym and giving us a MMR shot regardless of our vaccination history because of an outbreak but I don't think that it was because of a mutation but more of the result of a large enough percentage of students not being vaccinated that herd immunity wasn't possible.

It's a good question. Let's hope that it's less like the flu (as the Facebook physicians tell us) and more like MMR. I remember my high school (late 80's) herding us into the gym and giving us a MMR shot regardless of our vaccination history because of an outbreak but I don't think that it was because of a mutation but more of the result of a large enough percentage of students not being vaccinated that herd immunity wasn't possible.

I remember being pulled out of class in the first grade and all 1st grade students being lined up in the hallway to receive
the smallpox vaccination. This aggressive world wide action eradicated the disease. Due to the anti vaccer crowd now, I
don't see that happening with covid.

Just fork irresponsible people. Fork em all. I've stayed home and done what I've had to do as best I can. Seeing idiots running around with no masks, hosting parties and generally putting others at risk is just stupid. You have Sturgis, and leaders of states saying "freedomz!" Yeah, you're free to kill people. It's just proof positive that after 10 months, people care more about themselves than they do their neighbors and country.

I've said this before and probably will say it again, when you put party (or your team/tribe) ahead of country, your priorities are whack.

Idiots close to home
=========================

A gun show promoter, a firearms dealer, and a prospective gun show attendee have sued the state of Virginia, asking for an exemption to allow for a large 25,000-person indoor gun show to be held at the Dulles Expo Center.

Because the event is scheduled for this weekend, the case is moving quickly and a hearing has been scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Thursday morning.

Currently, in Virginia, social gatherings of more than 250 people are not allowed per Phase 3 guidelines..................

Idiots close to home

A gun show promoter, a firearms dealer, and a prospective gun show attendee have sued the state of Virginia, asking for an exemption to allow for a large 25,000-person indoor gun show to be held at the Dulles Expo Center.

Because the event is scheduled for this weekend, the case is moving quickly and a hearing has been scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Thursday morning.

Currently, in Virginia, social gatherings of more than 250 people are not allowed per Phase 3 guidelines..................

Well it's a new form of gun control.

Idiots close to home

So social gatherings of 250 aren't good, but they want something 100x larger indoors? Cool. I can't see how that could go wrong.

Here's some more good news.
At least it's not quite as deadly as it once was.

“All of our patients in the community are testing positive, but they’re not sick enough to be in the hospital,” he explained. “The percentage of patients that are sick enough to be in the hospital has actually gone down.”

“We’ve learned how to better care for them. So we’ve got some things that we know work. And we’ve got some things that we were using that we know don’t really work.”

Quick vaccine question:

How is it that the Moderna vaccine is good for 30 days in your kitchen refrigerator but the Pfizer one has to be at like -50 degrees?

From what we know now, the thinking is that the mRNA vaccines should provide years of protection. Once the body has been "programed" to fight the disease, it will remember. The three earliest vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna and hopefully AstraZeneca, are all two shot deals. One shot and a second shot 28 days or 21 days later, depending on the vaccine.) The way the mRNA vaccines have been developed, they should kill this puppy pretty good and give many years of protection. They don't know for sure yet, but that is the best thinking out there right now. I don't know for sure on the Astra vaccine, but I would guess it will provide years also. (Look at this as probably more like the Mumps or Measles as opposed to the seasonal flu for vaccine purposes. Again, nobody knows for certain yet.)

Quick vaccine question:

How is it that the Moderna vaccine is good for 30 days in your kitchen refrigerator but the Pfizer one has to be at like -50 degrees?

Vaccines made from mRNA can be made much faster than older vaccines could, explains Margaret Liu, a vaccine researcher who chairs the board of the International Society for Vaccines and specializes in genetic vaccines. The problem, says Liu, is that mRNA is "really easily destroyed, and that's because there are many, many enzymes that will just break it apart."

Here's an analogy: Think of the vaccine as a chocolate bar that melts easily. Just as there are ways to keep the chocolate from melting into goo, there are things the drugmakers did to protect their COVID-19 vaccines.

The first step, Liu says, was to modify the mRNA nucleosides — the "building blocks" of the RNA vaccine. "They've used modified versions because those are more stable," she says. This would be like changing the chocolate recipe so it's not quite so melty.

The next step was to use lipid nanoparticles, which, Liu explains, "is kind of like putting your chocolate inside a candy coating — you have an M&M, so the chocolate doesn't melt."

But even with the stabilized building blocks and lipid coating, the mRNA could still fall apart easily, which is why the vaccine is frozen.

"Everything happens more slowly as you lower the temperature," Liu says. "So your chemical reactions — the enzymes that break down RNA — are going to happen more slowly." It's the same idea as freezing food to keep it from spoiling.

Quick vaccine question:

Great question. Easy answer, Moderna is an mRNA company, that is what they do. (No products yet, but lots of scientists.) Pfizer, may not have made some mRNA that was as stable when it gets warmer. mRNA just breaks apart fast once it warms up.

Second answer....some Tacoes are better than other Tacoes. SR lore there......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom