COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (12 Viewers)

Historical Information from a virus that scared people and caused massive disruptions in lives. The Polio Virus is one that just terrified people because it mostly infected children. Before my time, and most people on this board, every Summer, there was an outbreak of Polio in the USA and around the world. It caused outright panic among parents and children were kept away from other children. (Polio is still out there today, but at a much lower rate. On Oct. 24, 2019, World Polio Day, WHO announced there were only 94 cases of wild polio in the world. A global campaign is underway to eradicate the disease worldwide.)

Dr. Jonas Salk was 33 years old when he took up the task of developing a safe and effective Polio Vaccine. He spent the next 2 1/2 years working at The University of Pittsburgh in his lab working on this project. He and his fellow scientists worked around live Polio virus on a daily basis. Eventually, he developed a potential vaccine and was given permission to try it out. He gave the experimental vaccine to his three healthy sons. Trials continued and the results came in.

1955 Polio Vaccine Trial Announcement

"Safe, effective, and potent."

"With these words on April 12, 1955, Dr. Thomas Francis Jr., director of the Poliomyelitis Vaccine Evaluation Center at the University of Michigan School of Public Health, announced to the world that the Salk polio vaccine was up to 90% effective in preventing paralytic polio."

Polio had been around for quite some time. Others had tried to develop a vaccine and had failed. It was amazing work, especially for the 1950's.

Think about this. The Novel Coronavirus (Covid 19) has been around for months. Most of the scientific research began in January or February of this year. Vaccine research began in February or March of 2020. Vaccines were in Phase 1 testing in May. Vaccines were in Phase 2/3. (Very interesting how the FDA streamlined all of this.....fascinating how many normal "bureaucratic" delays were removed.....this may make future medical advances much quicker.) Early results from Phase 3 studies came out in November for two vaccines that are about 95% effective. The speed at which this has been done is incredible. Basically 10-11 months from start to finish. (Consider that we went to the Moon in 1969 with way less computer power than you have in your cell phone today.)

This pandemic WILL END. IT WILL END SOON. Much sooner than many people think. We will have multiple, HIGHLY EFFECTIVE vaccines on the market very soon. This thing will be beat. I think most "average" people who really want to get a shot, should be able to find one out there by April or so. Once we get the most vulnerable vaccinated, the death numbers should plummet. That is, by far, the most important thing. Vaccinating Healthcare Workers who have been putting their lives on the line every day, needs to happen very quickly. It will be a great event when the first "public" vaccine shot is given. (It should be given to two people at an event.... an old person who has been cooped up for months and a healthcare hero who has been working with Covid patients.) We need positive news and a positive story.

Very fascinating read:

Historical Information from a virus that scared people and caused massive disruptions in lives. The Polio Virus is one that just terrified people because it mostly infected children. Before my time, and most people on this board, every Summer, there was an outbreak of Polio in the USA and around the world. It caused outright panic among parents and children were kept away from other children. (Polio is still out there today, but at a much lower rate. On Oct. 24, 2019, World Polio Day, WHO announced there were only 94 cases of wild polio in the world. A global campaign is underway to eradicate the disease worldwide.)

Dr. Jonas Salk was 33 years old when he took up the task of developing a safe and effective Polio Vaccine. He spent the next 2 1/2 years working at The University of Pittsburgh in his lab working on this project. He and his fellow scientists worked around live Polio virus on a daily basis. Eventually, he developed a potential vaccine and was given permission to try it out. He gave the experimental vaccine to his three healthy sons. Trials continued and the results came in.

"With these words on April 12, 1955, Dr. Thomas Francis Jr., director of the Poliomyelitis Vaccine Evaluation Center at the University of Michigan School of Public Health, announced to the world that the Salk polio vaccine was up to 90% effective in preventing paralytic polio."

Polio had been around for quite some time. Others had tried to develop a vaccine and had failed. It was amazing work, especially for the 1950's.

Think about this. The Novel Coronavirus (Covid 19) has been around for months. Most of the scientific research began in January or February of this year. Vaccine research began in February or March of 2020. Vaccines were in Phase 1 testing in May. Vaccines were in Phase 2/3. (Very interesting how the FDA streamlined all of this.....fascinating how many normal "bureaucratic" delays were removed.....this may make future medical advances much quicker.) Early results from Phase 3 studies came out in November for two vaccines that are about 95% effective. The speed at which this has been done is incredible. Basically 10-11 months from start to finish. (Consider that we went to the Moon in 1969 with way less computer power than you have in your cell phone today.)

This pandemic WILL END. IT WILL END SOON. Much sooner than many people think. We will have multiple, HIGHLY EFFECTIVE vaccines on the market very soon. This thing will be beat. I think most "average" people who really want to get a shot, should be able to find one out there by April or so. Once we get the most vulnerable vaccinated, the death numbers should plummet. That is, by far, the most important thing. Vaccinating Healthcare Workers who have been putting their lives on the line every day, needs to happen very quickly. It will be a great event when the first "public" vaccine shot is given. (It should be given to two people at an event.... an old person who has been cooped up for months and a healthcare hero who has been working with Covid patients.) We need positive news and a positive story.

Very fascinating read:

I really hope this is reason to feel optimistic about the intermediate term. The next 2-3 months are gonna be really tough, but beyond that, I think there's reason to think we'll be in a better place then with the vaccines widely made available.

Healthy reminder that the media often runs with stories that may be total BS if it fits the narrative or gets eyeballs/clicks.

Doering’s statement that she’s watched “so many” people die from the disease even as they deny its very existence, endlessly repeated on social media and presented by news outlets without corroboration, would seem to represent a broader phenomenon.

But other nurses who work in similar settings say they’ve seen nothing of the kind.

Alisyn Camerota, the CNN anchor who conducted the interview, is an Emmy Award–winning journalist. Tracy Connor, who covered the story for the Daily Beast, is that publication’s executive editor. They and others simply repeated Doering’s anecdotes, framed as an astounding embodiment of red-state denialism. The Washington Post article quotes at length from Doering’s tweets and TV interview, and claims—without providing any further evidence—that Covid patients seen by other health care workers “are reluctant to acknowledge that they have been infected with a virus that President Trump has said will simply disappear.” Similar write-ups appeared in the Daily Beast and HuffPost.

In fact, this episode has some similarities to other weakly sourced accounts of Covid denialism in states that vote Republican. In July we heard reports of rampant “Covid parties.” One version of this story had college students in Tuscaloosa hosting parties with infected guests, and then betting on who else would catch the virus. Another took the form of a second-hand account from a nurse in San Antonio. A 30-year-old patient was said to have admitted just before he died that he’d gotten sick by going to a Covid party. “I thought it was a hoax,” he allegedly told the nurse, “but it’s not.”

As WIRED’s Gilad Edelman reported at the time, none of these accounts held up to further scrutiny—yet each had been picked up from its original source and then amplified by larger publications that added little or no additional reporting. There’s good reason for these stories to be passed along, Edelman wrote. The hospital administrator who first went public with the story of the last-breath Covid-party confession is “trying desperately to get the American public to take the coronavirus seriously. If she hears a perfect cautionary tale, it isn’t necessarily her responsibility to investigate whether it’s too perfect before passing it along. It is, however, precisely the job of reporters.”

I really hope this is reason to feel optimistic about the intermediate term. The next 2-3 months are gonna be really tough, but beyond that, I think there's reason to think we'll be in a better place then with the vaccines widely made available.

I am hopeful that the first 20 million or so courses of the two earliest vaccines, over 40 million doses, are out there in circulation in the next 4-6 weeks. If all healthcare workers (about 16 million people) and all Nursing Home Residents (about 1.5 million people) are given the vaccines first, it should help a great deal. I am hopeful/optimistic that the Astrazeneca vaccine will show positive results and get approval by mid January. The total number of people who could get vaccinated between now and the end of January could run as high as 40-50 million people. That should take a huge slice of the most vulnerable people pretty much off the table. (At 50 million people vaccinated, if done this way, that would be just about enough to vaccinate every healthcare worker in the USA and every person over the age of 70 years old.)

In my opinion, people need to see positive stories about the vaccination programs. They can't be getting doom and gloom "fake vaccine" stories every day. For this to be effective, you need needles in arms and lots of needles and lots of arms.

Last edited:
Healthy reminder that the media often runs with stories that may be total BS if it fits the narrative or gets eyeballs/clicks.

If she made up the story, she should be suspended. But, it's the news organization's responsibility to vet sources and verify claims before airing. That's just basic journalism 101. Not that there aren't any crazy people out there, but while her claims seemed believable, I did wonder if people who are on death's door actually respond like that. Complete denial doesn't seem likely after the typical weeks of suffering from Covid symptoms.

Very fascinating read:

I want to start by saying we are not anti-vaxxers. Complete opposite really. My wife is the one that got me on the flu vaccine when we met...before that I'd never had one. My wife is a healthcare worker and will presumably be offered the vaccine kinda early. She asked me the other day if I was going to take the shot and I said most definitely. Shocking to me she was undecided. She also said most people where she works were also leary of it. I think they're come to trust the process we've had for vaccine approval so this speedy version gives them pause. Pretty sure she will get it but her questioning the safety of this one surprised me.

I am hopeful that the first 20 million or so courses of the two earliest vaccines, over 40 million doses, are out there in circulation in the next 4-6 weeks. If all healthcare workers (about 16 million people) and all Nursing Home Residents (about 1.5 million people) are given the vaccines first, it should help a great deal. I am hopeful/optimistic that the Astrazeneca vaccine will show positive results and get approval by mid January. The total number of people who could get vaccinated between now and the end of January could run as high as 40-50 million people. That should take a huge slice of the most vulnerable people pretty much off the table.

In my opinion, people need to see positive stories about the vaccination programs. They can't be getting doom and gloom "fake vaccine" stories every day. For this to be effective, you need needles in arms and lots of needles and lots of arms.
The vaccine is as positive as it gets. It's simply incredible just how quickly and effectively the Scientific community came together to eliminate a virus in a matter of a couple of months. The vaccines going for authorization in the next few weeks were all developed back in the Spring. I'll even give Trump credit for "warp speed" even though it was the most logical of solutions, logic escaped the administration seemingly everywhere else so I am thankful they got this right.

It doesn't change the fact that every step of the way dictatorship level propaganda, conspiracy theories and misinformation was being spewed (and still is) which killed a sheet ton of people, bankrupted many more, put stresses on our healthcare system and workers while doing harm to the economy, possibly long term damage to the countries credibility as well as possible permanent damage to the dollar. Finally, it will ultimately reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine by bolstering the anti-vax groups.

It doesn't change the fact that we are likely going to roll up about a half million deaths, a number that far exceeds any other country. It doesn't change the fact that we are ultimately spending more than pretty much the entire world combined in order to get the worst results.

I just hope the fall out isn't permanent and only lasts a couple decades.

I want to start by saying we are not anti-vaxxers. Complete opposite really. My wife is the one that got me on the flu vaccine when we met...before that I'd never had one. My wife is a healthcare worker and will presumably be offered the vaccine kinda early. She asked me the other day if I was going to take the shot and I said most definitely. Shocking to me she was undecided. She also said most people where she works were also leary of it. I think they're come to trust the process we've had for vaccine approval so this speedy version gives them pause. Pretty sure she will get it but her questioning the safety of this one surprised me.

I think that many healthcare workers won't have a choice. Their employers will make getting the vaccine mandatory for keeping their jobs.

As much crap as I've talked about racing to get a vaccine, I'm in the same boat. So far, the data that has been released makes the vaccine a no-brainer but until the bulk of the data is released I think anyone should reserve the right to be skeptical. Under the assumption the data that has been presented by both Pfizer and Moderna is correct and not misleading then I think any reservations about the vaccine from all but the anti-vax crowd will quickly disappear. Pfizer has been extremely honest, tempered expectations and has acted very responsible throughout but they are still a big pharma company. Moderna on the other hand has shown some sleezy tendancies along the way with the sale of stock and announcement timings. If it were just Moderna, I'd have a lot more doubt.

I'd love to depend on the FDA but the FDA has also been treated as a political toolbox by this administration and it is very difficult to trust them. I have a lot more trust in Fauci, Birx and EU.

As much crap as I've talked about racing to get a vaccine, I'm in the same boat. So far, the data that has been released makes the vaccine a no-brainer but until the bulk of the data is released I think anyone should reserve the right to be skeptical. Under the assumption the data that has been presented by both Pfizer and Moderna is correct and not misleading then I think any reservations about the vaccine from all but the anti-vax crowd will quickly disappear. Pfizer has been extremely honest, tempered expectations and has acted very responsible throughout but they are still a big pharma company. Moderna on the other hand has shown some sleezy tendancies along the way with the sale of stock and announcement timings. If it were just Moderna, I'd have a lot more doubt.

I'd love to depend on the FDA but the FDA has also been treated as a political toolbox by this administration and it is very difficult to trust them. I have a lot more trust in Fauci, Birx and EU.

I listened to Fauci talk about the vaccines and he is very confident that the process is sound. He did say he wishes they had not called it "Operation Warp Speed" because it erodes confidence in the process by implying shortcuts, etc.

But FWIW he trusts the process in place to verify safety, though obviously there is no way to know possible long term effects. We will all just have to make that call for ourselves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom