COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (12 Viewers)

Healthy reminder that the media often runs with stories that may be total BS if it fits the narrative or gets eyeballs/clicks.

I recall at various points over the years of my education being taught that anecdotes are patently suspect and should never be treated for anything more than what they are: one person's account of something. It doesn't mean it isn't true. But it also doesn't mean it can be extrapolated into some generally applicable fact or point.

I recall at various points over the years of my education being taught that anecdotes are patently suspect and should never be treated for anything more than what they are: one person's account of something. It doesn't mean it isn't true. But it also doesn't mean it can be extrapolated into some generally applicable fact or point.
News media just can't help itself. It's became such a competitive environment that the real story comes second to fast and attention grabbing

Very long read, kind of complex, but it tells the story of how mRNA vaccines came about and why it happened so fast.

The future of treatments for a whole host of diseases and ailments could be at hand in the not too distant future. MANY scientific/healthcare advances have occurred as a result of wars or were hastened because of wars. In a way, the focus on the Covid-19 virus has resulted in a warlike response from many governments and companies. Let's hope that we get positive developments overall from this that help offset some of the negative's that have occurred. (Not diminishing the negatives, they have been huge, death and economic destruction.)

"After isolating the virus from patients, Chinese scientists on Jan. 10 posted online its genetic sequence. Because companies that work with messenger RNA don’t need the virus itself to create a vaccine, just a computer that tells scientists what chemicals to put together and in what order, researchers at Moderna, BioNTech, and other companies got to work."

"Moderna and BioNTech each designed a tiny snip of genetic code that could be deployed into cells to stimulate a coronavirus immune response. The two vaccines differ in their chemical structures, how the substances are made, and how they deliver mRNA into cells. Both vaccines require two shots a few weeks apart."

"Forty-two days after the genetic code was released, Moderna’s CEO Bancel opened an email on Feb. 24 on his cellphone and smiled, as he recalled to the Globe. Up popped a photograph of a box placed inside a refrigerated truck at the Norwood plant and bound for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, Md. The package held a few hundred vials, each containing the experimental vaccine."

News media just can't help itself. It's became such a competitive environment that the real story comes second to fast and attention grabbing

And oftentimes when a story is found to be inaccurate, there's little if any follow up to correct it. Journalism isn't near what it used to be 10-20 years ago. I know this because I was one.

I want to start by saying we are not anti-vaxxers. Complete opposite really. My wife is the one that got me on the flu vaccine when we met...before that I'd never had one. My wife is a healthcare worker and will presumably be offered the vaccine kinda early. She asked me the other day if I was going to take the shot and I said most definitely. Shocking to me she was undecided. She also said most people where she works were also leary of it. I think they're come to trust the process we've had for vaccine approval so this speedy version gives them pause. Pretty sure she will get it but her questioning the safety of this one surprised me.
I will say that I’ll probably get the vaccine
I will also say that with our first we spread out his immunization shots as long as we could
Our question was never about the science but with industry - can’t say that I always trust industry to do what’s right

Healthy reminder that the media often runs with stories that may be total BS if it fits the narrative or gets eyeballs/clicks.

This is a very, very important point. Stories like this that fit into a narrative go viral so easily. It's also an important point that your article doesn't claim she was making it up, but challenging the scope of the problem. For all we know, it was 2 patients she had that were like this, but it made a big impression on her -- so the scope can be quite limited.

I want to start by saying we are not anti-vaxxers. Complete opposite really. My wife is the one that got me on the flu vaccine when we met...before that I'd never had one. My wife is a healthcare worker and will presumably be offered the vaccine kinda early. She asked me the other day if I was going to take the shot and I said most definitely. Shocking to me she was undecided. She also said most people where she works were also leary of it. I think they're come to trust the process we've had for vaccine approval so this speedy version gives them pause. Pretty sure she will get it but her questioning the safety of this one surprised me.

If that's the case, then consider getting the Pfizer vaccine. It was developed in Germany and is not part of the "Warp Speed" program beyond distribution.

I will say that the FDA, IMO, has been doing its job. The vaccines would have been released in October but the FDA is demanding two months of documentation after closing the phase 3 trial to fully document side effects and other possible issues. Then of course we have Dr Fauci who doesn't give a damn what Trump says or does. He's been fully on board with these vaccine announcements.

I was concerned that the approval process was being rushed and/or safety was being bypassed and/or rushed to get the vaccine out before November 3. But, now that that date has passed, and they seem to be taking their time to do everything right, I feel pretty safe taking the vaccine and plan to do it when it is available to me. There is, of course, some risk as there is with any medicine you take, but I feel much more confident in the process at this point.

Here's the money shot. Group A is asymptomatic. Group B is ICU admission. Orange is Vitamin D deficient.

1605931057583.png

And for those wondering.

For this study, the researchers measured vitamin D levels in 3.4 million blood samples collected weekly in the United States between July 2006 and December 2011. The results appear in the journal PLoS One.

"Even with food fortification, vitamin D levels in the population show a high level of seasonality due to the influence of sunlight," study first author Amy Kasahara, a UC Irvine graduate student in public health, said in a university news release.

"In this study, we have shown that vitamin D levels lag the solar cycle, peaking in August and troughing in February," she said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom