COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (14 Viewers)

This is true. It can be mandated, Martial law is enforced after hurricanes. The problem with Covid is there are not enough
officials to enforce it.

Martial law is instituted after natural disasters because of crippled infrastructure and lack of resources in the immediate area, such as food/water, power and shelter.

I didn't see this in the thread but in this article they have a new variant 70% more transmissible.

"The tougher restrictions, announced at short notice, are in response to the sudden emergence of a fast-spreading variant of COVID-19. The new variant of the virus is currently believed to be up to 70% more transmissible than the original strain."

https://www.businessinsider.com/lon...y-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar

I didn't see this in the thread but in this article they have a new variant 70% more transmissible.

"The tougher restrictions, announced at short notice, are in response to the sudden emergence of a fast-spreading variant of COVID-19. The new variant of the virus is currently believed to be up to 70% more transmissible than the original strain."

https://www.businessinsider.com/lon...y-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar
We don't know that it's 70% more transmissible, as the quote there with it's "believed to be up to" indicates. At this point, I don't think any evidence has been provided to support that conclusion. The official line from the UK government is that, "Based on preliminary modelling data, the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) now consider that the new strain can spread significantly more quickly and could increase R by 0.4 or more. New and existing data will continue to be analysed as we learn more about the variant." (source). That suggests this isn't from laboratory or animal testing on the new strain, but relying on comparing the current rate of spread to modelling and attributing some or all of the difference to this strain.

But part of the background to this is that the regions where they say this strain has become dominant have been under unduly lax restrictions for some time. We had three tiers of restrictions here (tier 1 being the lowest, tier 3 the highest). London, for example, was in tier 2 up until Wednesday, when it was finally increased to tier 3 and is now being put into the newly created tier 4.

Consequently, it's hard to say how much of the rapid rise in cases is due to a new strain of the virus, and how much is due to lax restrictions, a reluctance to tighten them, and ever increasing complacency.

So I think we'll have to wait and see whether this strain really is more transmissible, and if so, to what extent. I would say, though, that the risk of mutation is just one more reason why it's nuts to keep letting the virus run wild; sure, it might not mutate much generally, but if you keep giving it millions of opportunities to do, mutations are going to happen.

This virus is highlighting just how incredibly stupid and selfish a large portion of our society (read as humans) is. Just belligerently ignorant. It's so frustrating. I flew home to New Orleans and quarantined for DAYS prior to taking a test and getting a negative result prior to spending close time with my family. People are out here not wearing masks, not social distancing, like they are impervious. SMH.

I predict there will be a lot of ignoring of these measures. It's going to be a messy end of the year and a tough start to the new one I suspect.
Reporter today: "Should people try to leave the south-east before midnight tonight?"

UK Chief Medical Officer: "Please do not do this."

London: Footage of packed train carriages out of London emerged on social media as many attempted to flee the capital hours before tough Tier 4 restrictions came into force. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ations-tier-4-covid-restrictions-b394242.html

Yes, that'll avoid spreading the virus, cramming people onto trains with no social distancing possible going all over the country. So this is going well.

This virus is highlighting just how incredibly stupid and selfish a large portion of our society (read as humans) is. Just belligerently ignorant. It's so frustrating. I flew home to New Orleans and quarantined for DAYS prior to taking a test and getting a negative result prior to spending close time with my family. People are out here not wearing masks, not social distancing, like they are impervious. SMH.
My dad's fever spiked to 105 last night. My stepmom, her sister and friend all woke up with symptoms this morning. The 5 of them went and got tested today (4 actually, the firend that flies back to NOLA tomorrow doesn't want to get tested because it might prevent her from flying home). After getting tested they all went out to eat afterwards. I'm P'Oed and having a moral tug of war at the moment. Just got off the phone with him and told him exactly how selfish and irresponsible they are being.

My dad's fever spiked to 105 last night. My stepmom, her sister and friend all woke up with symptoms this morning. The 5 of them went and got tested today (4 actually, the firend that flies back to NOLA tomorrow doesn't want to get tested because it might prevent her from flying home). After getting tested they all went out to eat afterwards. I'm P'Oed and having a moral tug of war at the moment. Just got off the phone with him and told him exactly how selfish and irresponsible they are being.
Ughhhhh!! How can we win? How can we beat this thing if SO many people feel like they are too special to follow the rules and shouldn't have to be inconvenienced?

Why would her getting tested prevent her from flying home? She can lie about it like that guy who boarded the United Airlines flight in Orlando, and then died inflight.

But seriously, sorry to read about your situation. That's tough to have family members so mindfully careless.

Why would her getting tested prevent her from flying home? She can lie about it like that guy who boarded the United Airlines flight in Orlando, and then died inflight.

But seriously, sorry to read about your situation. That's tough to have family members so mindfully careless.
I have no idea. Not sure if she thinks its tracked or what. I can not comprehend the level of stupid for all involved.

We're going to hit 5k dead in a day before the calendar turns.

Will be enough dead to fill the dome in the month of December and January will double that.

It's also about time for the South to catch on fire and join the party. Think it's been bad so far down here? Watch what happens next.
I think pretty much all the schools around here are out for the next two weeks. I'm not sure how we're going to go back at the beginning of January or, if we do, how long we'll stay open. I can't imagine we'll make it to the end of January.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom