COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [24,830,045 US cases, 412,109 US deaths.] (17 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely.
This is why it needs to be studied further using the scientific method. Trust in the Science.
And there are a bunch of strains. how "infectious" it is, isn't something you can directly test. Too many variables in this uncontrolled environment.

1610419187851.png

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
Another thought, once we're clear of this, if we've had it, should still get vaccinated?
Yes.

vaccine gives a stronger antibody response, I believe.
Yes, but. I really wish there would have been guidelines about this. I believe (Based on too many years of education and discussions with people way smarter and more knowledgeable than I am.) that natural immunity that presents itself from having had the virus has a certain degree of protection. It varies between people depending on the severity of their exposure and their immune response. But, given all of that, it would have been nice to have had an antibody criteria for people who have recovered from the virus. If you are above a certain level, don't get the vaccine...yet. We have a very limited amount of vaccine and it makes very little sense to give it to people who still have a very high antibody level within their systems instead of people who have a higher likelihood of death if they got the virus.

I read about a Healthcare Worker who was discussing vaccine side effects. For this person, there were moderate side effects. Deeper into it, this person had recovered from a severe case of Covid and had nearly died. It is understandable that they had a more severe side effect from the vaccine, they very likely already had a high level of antibodies. Anybody ever had a tetanus shot ahead of schedule? It is like being hit by a truck in your arm.

In the end, everybody should get the vaccine, even people who have recovered from the virus.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
It is coming. Look at the math, about 80-90% of the deaths are from a subset of 10-20% of the population. Once we get that 10-20% vaccinated, this is much more manageable. It is coming, we will come out of this almost as fast as we went into it.

I am not a loon, this is far worse than the seasonal flu for those who are more susceptible to this virus, but for many people, it is about like a really bad flu season. We need to get the very vulnerable people vaccinated. Once we do that, it moves from a pandemic to a severe, but manageable, public health crisis.

Florida is almost at 3% of its population vaccinated already. (North Dakota and West Virginia are over 5% already.) It seems really low, but consider that these are mostly healthcare workers and the most vulnerable. That number will be 6% soon, then 10%. It's happening! Where is that GIF when you need it?

itztime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Will do. If we start showing symptoms sooner than that, should we go then?
The earliar with the test the better chance you could possibly return a negative result. First hand story of a ER provider I know, tested positive when he first experienced symptoms. Wife tested with him and she tested negative, she than became very ill and tested two more times, returning a negative, on the 7th day of feeling like dog poo, she tested positive.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Welp...my son tested positive tonight. He's the only one showing symptoms at the moment. I want to get all of my family tested, but isn't there lag time before we would test positive? Not sure how to handle with 6 of us in the house.

Don't know where he got it from, whether friends or work. Who knows.
Good luck to you guys. I feel for you and understand the worry. When our son got it in November he was quarantined to a room upstairs and was only allowed down with a mask to use the restroom and then the wife sprayed everything down with lysol after he finished. We made it through that round with him being the only one that got it. My wife brought it home this time from work and I was the only one that caught it from her but understandable since we share a bed and she was a cougher that first night she started showing symptoms. Just try to keep him as quarantined as possible and good luck to you guys.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is coming. Look at the math, about 80-90% of the deaths are from a subset of 10-20% of the population. Once we get that 10-20% vaccinated, this is much more manageable. It is coming, we will come out of this almost as fast as we went into it.

I am not a loon, this is far worse than the seasonal flu for those who are more susceptible to this virus, but for many people, it is about like a really bad flu season. We need to get the very vulnerable people vaccinated. Once we do that, it moves from a pandemic to a severe, but manageable, public health crisis.

Florida is almost at 3% of its population vaccinated already. (North Dakota and West Virginia are over 5% already.) It seems really low, but consider that these are mostly healthcare workers and the most vulnerable. That number will be 6% soon, then 10%. It's happening! Where is that GIF when you need it?

Yes, but....

It isn't just deaths. It is how many folks go to the hospital. That's where it becomes manageable or not.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
My 16 y.o. is positive as of last week. The rest of my house is negative - I've tested negative 2x in the last 6 days and he's been in isolation since last Wednesday. I am more convinced than ever that I had it over Xmas 2019 but will probably never know for sure.

He's had some minor congestion - nothing bad and his O2 has been healthy/steady but he's had a lot of fatigue - he just feels really run down - and this is my super high-energy kid.

He gets out of isolation Thursday.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
Welp...my son tested positive tonight. He's the only one showing symptoms at the moment. I want to get all of my family tested, but isn't there lag time before we would test positive? Not sure how to handle with 6 of us in the house.

Don't know where he got it from, whether friends or work. Who knows.
If you can, wait to test everyone for 4-5 days after last exposure to him.

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Really good twitter thread on excess deaths in 15-64 year olds compared across different countries.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
This will be impossible to vet one way or the other (I don't think the data exists) but:

In the New Orleans area (really, in all of SE LA including Northshore, BR area, etc.) ... are COVID infections lately only causing very mild symptoms for dang near everyone that gets it around here?

Anecdotes and small sample size, I realize ... but several people close to me have tested positive for COVID since mid-December. Only one person over 70, two in their 50s, one 40s, two 30s, one 20s. One in the 50s is decidedly obese.

Anyway -- not one has had a severe symptom. Worst thing anyone of them got is a few days of fatigue. All report changes in sense of smell but even that's been reported as no biggie -- maybe a day or two or three. A few even reported not getting a fever (!).

And predictably, hearing reports of "it wasn't a big deal for me!" from familiars leads to more doubt about "what's really going on" among our family and friends. A few who caught it were denialists -- the rest followed the rules but still felt COVID has been overblown to some degree.

Is there something going on locally that's knowingly depressing COVID symptoms in recent weeks? Those that were most susceptible typically got it early and everyone left are kind of the "hard cases" from the virus' point of view? Perhaps a different milder strain not making the news? Anything at all? Just coincidence and luck?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 7)