COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (16 Viewers)

This virus is highlighting just how incredibly stupid and selfish a large portion of our society (read as humans) is. Just belligerently ignorant. It's so frustrating. I flew home to New Orleans and quarantined for DAYS prior to taking a test and getting a negative result prior to spending close time with my family. People are out here not wearing masks, not social distancing, like they are impervious. SMH.
My dad's fever spiked to 105 last night. My stepmom, her sister and friend all woke up with symptoms this morning. The 5 of them went and got tested today (4 actually, the firend that flies back to NOLA tomorrow doesn't want to get tested because it might prevent her from flying home). After getting tested they all went out to eat afterwards. I'm P'Oed and having a moral tug of war at the moment. Just got off the phone with him and told him exactly how selfish and irresponsible they are being.

I don't know where we are heading here. About 40% of our deaths have been in the elderly with pre-existing health conditions. They have been told for the last two months that they would be up for the vaccine after the health care workers and nursing home residents. Many of these elderly folks have been very patient, they understand that the health care workers needed to go first, Then a story like this comes out, where Massachusetts plans to vaccinate PRISONERS before old people with pre-existing health conditions.

"Among those first in line for the COVID-19 vaccine in Massachusetts are correction workers and the nearly 13,000 people incarcerated in jails and prisons in the state. The news comes as COVID cases continue to spike behind bars."

"Gov. Charlie Baker included both groups in the first phase of his COVID vaccination plan, which he announced last week. The first phase also includes health care workers, police, fire and emergency responders and residents of long term care facilities and those living and working in homeless shelters. Massachusetts is one of six states to specifically include prisoners in the first phase of vaccinations, according to the Prison Policy Initiative."

I don't know where this is heading nationwide, but vaccinating rapists, child molesters and murders before senior citizen veterans with pre-existing health conditions....does not seem like the thing to do. My dad has done everything right, he has two pre-existing health conditions that make him more vulnerable to this disease, he served twice in active duty in the US Army. He is 85 years old. When he sees on TV that some prisoners are potentially getting shots before him, it kind of ticks him off, it does a lot more than tick me off. My wife is younger, but also has a pre-existing condition that makes her vulnerable.

I sure hope that Louisiana keeps to its plan and that prisoners are in line at the back, with the general population. I would hate to see the reaction of many citizens if the vaccine starts to go into child molesters and rapists arms before our aged Veterans. That will not go over well with the general populace or with me. I have been keeping my family as safe as possible, please don't use vaccine on prisoners before my great family who has never done anything wrong in this world and has done good for so many people.

On another note, my Sister In Law is in quarantine, because a coworker, also in Healthcare, they are lab people,,,,not "frontline" yet tested positive for the virus after having symptoms for four days, going to work every day and lying about her symptoms,

... vaccinating rapists, child molesters and murders before senior citizen veterans with pre-existing health conditions ...
The vast majority of people in prison are serving sentences for drug possession and other non-violent crimes, some of them are veterans too. They are no even close to being mostly rapists, child molesters and murderers.

Prison populations and corrections officers have had high infection and fatality rates. They are a very vulnerable group.

Last edited:
The vast majority of people in prison are serving sentences for drug possession and other non-violent crimes, some of them are veterans too. They are no even close to being mostly rapists, child molesters and murderers.

Prison populations and corrections officers have had high infection and fatality rates. They are a very vulnerable group.

You're not going to last long on the internets thinking things through like that.

I know that many people in prison are non-violent offenders. I am 100% in favor of vaccinating corrections officers very early in the process. The Louisiana plan from two months ago did not include criminal inmates in the early wave of vaccinations. The numbers have not changed much since then. I would be ok with non-violent offenders, over whatever cutoff age is set, or with pre-existing conditions, being vaccinated on schedule with the rest of the population.

I'm not necessarily a fan of vaccines going to prisons before the elderly as a binary choice. That said, I do think that prisons need to be fairly high on the list, simply because they cannot socially distance and isolate themselves and the guards who often have to physically interact with the prisoners. The elderly can and should continue to protect themselves until the prisons have been taken care of. If it takes a couple of extra days or weeks before they get their turn, so be it. We've all had to chip in and be patient, so a little extra time to be sure we protect the vulnerable isn't a bad thing.

I'm not necessarily a fan of vaccines going to prisons before the elderly as a binary choice. That said, I do think that prisons need to be fairly high on the list, simply because they cannot socially distance and isolate themselves and the guards who often have to physically interact with the prisoners. The elderly can and should continue to protect themselves until the prisons have been taken care of. If it takes a couple of extra days or weeks before they get their turn, so be it. We've all had to chip in and be patient, so a little extra time to be sure we protect the vulnerable isn't a bad thing.

I think what he's saying is that out of two vulnerable populations, the law-abiding one should go first.

I think what he's saying is that out of two vulnerable populations, the law-abiding one should go first.

I agree he's saying that. And my first reaction to that is the elderly vulnerable should be first. But I totally get why the prison population should be high on the list. They're arguably more vulnerable because there's really no way for both the prisoners and the guards to fully protect themselves in a prison setting. The elderly can isolate themselves more effectively than those in and working for the prisons.

A lot of freak out happening over mutation in UK. Another mutation in South Africa also announced last night in which health experts think it is also faster spreading and may impact younger people more significantly.

A lot of freak out happening over mutation in UK. Another mutation in South Africa also announced last night in which health experts think it is also faster spreading and may impact younger people more significantly.
was wondering when the southern hemisphere was going to up its game

I haven’t read much on this UK mutation. Is it freak out worthy?

I haven’t read much on this UK mutation. Is it freak out worthy?
From what I have read, shouldnt impact vaccine but could be more contagious. Personally, I think it is just spreading faster because it is prime conditions for rapid spread in UK right now.

Members of Congress are getting the vaccine under the guise of fostering positive vaccine sentiment. I agree that a PR aspect of this will be very important going forward, but does anyone think that politicians being vaccinated this early, while MANY front line health care workers are still waiting is a good policy? (I assume that when we see them without masks in a few weeks that their reply will be they have been vaccinated.)

I know a couple of retired doctors. They don't see patients, and have not seen patients in years. Where should they be in line? With health care workers or with other "regular" old people?

Members of Congress are getting the vaccine under the guise of fostering positive vaccine sentiment. I agree that a PR aspect of this will be very important going forward, but does anyone think that politicians being vaccinated this early, while MANY front line health care workers are still waiting is a good policy? (I assume that when we see them without masks in a few weeks that their reply will be they have been vaccinated.)

I know a couple of retired doctors. They don't see patients, and have not seen patients in years. Where should they be in line? With health care workers or with other "regular" old people?

Health care workers who are actively working directly with patients should absolutely be first in line.

From what I have read, shouldnt impact vaccine but could be more contagious. Personally, I think it is just spreading faster because it is prime conditions for rapid spread in UK right now.
Perhaps, but lots of other European countries that are generally dealing with the same ideal conditions are closing borders to the UK right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom