COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [24,830,045 US cases, 412,109 US deaths.] (23 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score

nolaswede

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Looks like a new player in there vaccine market.

My friend volunteered for the J&J vaccine trial. She will find out on Friday if she got actual vaccine or the placebo. However, she mentioned that she had a minor reactions after the shot, like they mentioned in the article, so she most likely got the real shot.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
Looks like a new player in there vaccine market.

The problem is JNJ has been having production issues. Even if approved, they will likely only have a few million doses by mid February, and likely won't be at 50-60 million total until June. It's still very good if they get approved, but need Astra vaccine to get approved here also. I think the USA will be leaning very heavily on Moderna and Pfizer for a while. We are approaching 30 million doses allocated to the states. With the new expansion of eligibility and moving beyond health care people, many more people will be getting shots soon.

Last edited:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The main note about the Johnson and Johnson vaccine that is not approved yet.

"Vaccination elicited neutralizing antibodies — expected to stop the virus from infecting cells — in 90% of all participants by the 29th day after the first dose of vaccine and in all of them by two months after the first dose. The levels of these antibodies stayed stable for at least 71 days, they reported."

I dont know if the mRNA vaccines have similar antibody response times, but that would mean 1-2 months after the last (or only) dose, you're 'safe'.

Make sure we let our elders know it isn't just party time after the second dose.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The main note about the Johnson and Johnson vaccine that is not approved yet.

"Vaccination elicited neutralizing antibodies — expected to stop the virus from infecting cells — in 90% of all participants by the 29th day after the first dose of vaccine and in all of them by two months after the first dose. The levels of these antibodies stayed stable for at least 71 days, they reported."

I dont know if the mRNA vaccines have similar antibody response times, but that would mean 1-2 months after the last (or only) dose, you're 'safe'.

Make sure we let our elders know it isn't just party time after the second dose.
From what I have read, the mRNA vaccines have very high levels of neutralizing antibodies two weeks after the second dose.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From what I have read, the mRNA vaccines have very high levels of neutralizing antibodies two weeks after the second dose.
Same. From what I was reading when there was talk of giving everyone one shot, then getting the second when able is that they range 50-60% effective at 2 weeks. But the key thing to me at least is that your body, even if it gets sick, would have a step up to attack the virus quicker and avoid the major illness. It’s the laying ina bed with a tube slowly dying like my friends brother for 53 days that scares the hell out of me.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Same. From what I was reading when there was talk of giving everyone one shot, then getting the second when able is that they range 50-60% effective at 2 weeks. But the key thing to me at least is that your body, even if it gets sick, would have a step up to attack the virus quicker and avoid the major illness. It’s the laying ina bed with a tube slowly dying like my friends brother for 53 days that scares the hell out of me.
Exactly. I have been a very strong proponent of sticking to the two shot regimen, but the data seems to possibly support going the max effort one shot now, and one whenever you can get it type of plan.

"Until now, Israel’s speedy coronavirus vaccination rollout has been the source of awe, envy (and some criticism) worldwide. But with the release of preliminary data on how hundreds of thousands of people have responded to the shots, it’s also set to be the source of groundbreaking insights expected to help bolster vaccination efforts globally.

Most notably, the data released Tuesday by the Health Ministry shows that the vaccine significantly cut down infection levels among sample sizes even before full protection kicks in after the second of two doses.

Medics have been tracking infection levels among some 600,000 people who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, a group almost 30 times bigger than the one involved in the large-scale Phase 3 trial that preceded the US Food and Drug Administration’s approval of the shot.

A Health Ministry official announced that the vaccine curbs infections by some 50 percent 14 days after the first of two shots is administered. She said that the data is preliminary, and based on the results of coronavirus tests among both those who have received the vaccine and those who haven’t, who are are serving as a de facto control group."

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
Got my vaccine today as a front line worker in the covid hospital. Pretty smooth.

I got moderna
friend who works in hospital got his second last monday. Interested to see if you get same reaction he did ( next day woke feeling like CRAP- stayed in bed whole day. following day- like nothing happened )

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
friend who works in hospital got his second last monday. Interested to see if you get same reaction he did ( next day woke feeling like CRAP- stayed in bed whole day. following day- like nothing happened )
My sister got the 2nd last Monday too(Pfizer). She had a mild fever and some body aches, but was able to go to work. She took ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll give updates. I hope I ain't on the struggle bus tomorrow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 5)