COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (17 Viewers)

You're right, I know that you're right and my brain is playing for team logic too. My emotions are still going that way though. It's not like I didn't tell him he was trying to catch covid by going on that hunting trip. It's not like I ignored him every time he made some dumbarse comment about the stupid masks or the dumb restrictions or claiming that covid death numbers are fake or any of that fun stuff. I'd call it every single time to the point it became difficult to even talk with him leading up to and since the election. It's not like I didn't tell him exactly what I thought when they all piled in the car with symptoms to go get tested then went to a restaurant to eat. Not like I didn't say anything when they all went shopping with symptoms.

When I called to wish him a Merry Christmas I could hear in his voice just how much he screwed up. My stepmother in the background dry heaving, literally crying out in pain from her joints, flat out screaming in agony. The fear in his voice asking me if he should take her to the hospital. The same time he is telling me how he is over it and feels better but he couldn't stop coughing long enough to convince me he was doing as well as he convinced himself he would. Just a few minutes later he is on Facebook asking for "prayer warriors" to pray for my stepmom and then he is parading around the comment section claiming he always wears a mask while blaming the masks for spreading covid.

He is the reason a lot of people are sick right now, including himself. It's his reasoning and logic that we are spraying money all over covid and can't seem to figure out why it isn't working. It is that thought process that has basically shut my business down for 6 months this year. It is those actions that have my kids doing homeschool. To go full circle, it is people like my dad who are the most upset that it is impacting business, family, school and lives but unwilling to even fathom the idea they are the cause of the problem.

So yes, I know I shouldn't feel guilty. Yes, I do love my dad and the good guy he once was is still in there somewhere but trying to feel sympathy for his situation while not feeling guilt for the pain he has caused others is not easy, even if it should be. Thanks for everyone letting me vent. I'll step back now as this thread shouldn't be dominated by the idiots around me and I will just reserve a post for the outcome.

I hope that you, your dad and your stepmom are all able to have a long sit-down in February once you're vaccinated.
This isn't the last pandemic we're going to see and the next one could be worse.

to avoid more of the politics trap, feel free.

Not even sure what this means anymore. Maybe in March or April there were other facts about the fataliity rate, spread vectors, open school, and so on.

At this point, just about all of those questions are pretty much answered, and the cause of just about all of these deaths is politics.

All we can do is hope for the speed and efficacy of a vaccine to stop stupid people from killing more innocent people.

Sorry if anyone's offended, but at this point I can't even spare pity for these spreaders, much less sympathy.

I hope that you, your dad and your stepmom are all able to have a long sit-down in February once you're vaccinated.
This isn't the last pandemic we're going to see and the next one could be worse.

Sit down? They're going in and out of the ICU and neighbors are dying. If that didn't work, it's real, real hard to see what a sit down is going to do.

Sit down? They're going in and out of the ICU and neighbors are dying. If that didn't work, it's real, real hard to see what a sit down is going to do.

The sit down is to remove everyone from distractions and explain that Covid isn't the last pandemic. There's going to be more and by heaven Dad will effing take it seriously next time.

b
The sit down is to remove everyone from distractions and explain that Covid isn't the last pandemic. There's going to be more and by heaven Dad will effing take it seriously next time.
That might work for 30 minutes or however long it takes before dad logs on to Facebook and/or switches on newsmax.

We'd have a Civil War here in the states if this happened, but man do I love this policy...

It would just further cement in their minds that this is a hoax and that these aren't covid related dead, but normal dead.

How on earth is this happening? California has some of the strictest lockdowns.
Without looking at it... they've been locked down for so long, I assume folks are mostly ignoring it and gathering on their own. The population is so high, they've been a powder keg waiting to blow.

EDIT, I was kinda right. It was in the article you posted. Also a linked article.

The state is posting the country's worst COVID-19 numbers despite a new stay-at-home order that took effect in most of the state in early December. Cellphone data suggests compliance is low, and some have speculated the state's strict restrictions contributed to the winter explosion.

How did it all go wrong for the state that issued the nation's first stay-at-home order in March and imposed some of the country's toughest restrictions? One possible explanation: The state and its counties have been too strict for their own good.

"A significant number of people have lost faith in the public health guidance and don’t know what to believe anymore," said Daniel Kotzin, a member of two advocacy groups hoping to reopen schools and businesses in San Francisco. "One part of it is when our leaders say one thing and do another, and another part is it’s just been so strict with no escape valve and people can’t do it anymore. For over nine months we’ve been locked up with constantly shifting goalposts."

The "escape valve" theory makes sense to Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at UCSF.

"When the new lockdown came down, a friend of mine said we've basically been under lockdown in San Francisco since March," Gandhi said. "So I think the dance of opening and closing elsewhere was a necessary dance, since it allowed people economic relief and social relief in between waves. But in California, the system was quite strict and didn't allow that release. And it wasn't just the state; counties like San Francisco didn’t even allow what the state was allowing to reopen. San Francisco was even more strict."

How on earth is this happening? California has some of the strictest lockdowns.
Look at the mobility data, that stay at home order has no teeth and is largely going ignored. People are still gathering in small groups at homes and not wearing masks. Things like Thanksgiving and Christmas are the problem right now. People also can't afford to take off work and are coming in sick. You combine that with a huge number of migrant workers and extreme population density and California is a time bomb.

California is 3rd in the country for cases per 100k on a 7 day moving average behind Texas and Tn. Texas is absolutely crushing it right now. California has to get 50% worse just to catch were Texas is today and Texas showing no signs of slowing down. Southern California, Tn and Texas. The top 5 states in cases per capita are all touching the 35th parallel (Tx, Tn, Ca, Ok, Al). it's pretty easy to track and predict the movement of the virus. Georgia, Alabama, Ms, La, SC, Fl, Tx and Arky are all about to be competing for the top spot the next month or two.

Look at the mobility data, that stay at home order has no teeth and is largely going ignored. People are still gathering in small groups at homes and not wearing masks. Things like Thanksgiving and Christmas are the problem right now. People also can't afford to take off work and are coming in sick. You combine that with a huge number of migrant workers and extreme population density and California is a time bomb.

California is 3rd in the country for cases per 100k on a 7 day moving average behind Texas and Tn. Texas is absolutely crushing it right now. California has to get 50% worse just to catch were Texas is today and Texas showing no signs of slowing down. Southern California, Tn and Texas. The top 5 states in cases per capita are all touching the 35th parallel (Tx, Tn, Ca, Ok, Al). it's pretty easy to track and predict the movement of the virus. Georgia, Alabama, Ms, La, SC, Fl, Tx and Arky are all about to be competing for the top spot the next month or two.

remind me again...30th parallel and below will do "decently" because of sun, right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom