COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

My 16 y.o. is positive as of last week. The rest of my house is negative - I've tested negative 2x in the last 6 days and he's been in isolation since last Wednesday. I am more convinced than ever that I had it over Xmas 2019 but will probably never know for sure.

He's had some minor congestion - nothing bad and his O2 has been healthy/steady but he's had a lot of fatigue - he just feels really run down - and this is my super high-energy kid.

He gets out of isolation Thursday.

Welp...my son tested positive tonight. He's the only one showing symptoms at the moment. I want to get all of my family tested, but isn't there lag time before we would test positive? Not sure how to handle with 6 of us in the house.

Don't know where he got it from, whether friends or work. Who knows.

If you can, wait to test everyone for 4-5 days after last exposure to him.

Really good twitter thread on excess deaths in 15-64 year olds compared across different countries.

This will be impossible to vet one way or the other (I don't think the data exists) but:

In the New Orleans area (really, in all of SE LA including Northshore, BR area, etc.) ... are COVID infections lately only causing very mild symptoms for dang near everyone that gets it around here?

Anecdotes and small sample size, I realize ... but several people close to me have tested positive for COVID since mid-December. Only one person over 70, two in their 50s, one 40s, two 30s, one 20s. One in the 50s is decidedly obese.

Anyway -- not one has had a severe symptom. Worst thing anyone of them got is a few days of fatigue. All report changes in sense of smell but even that's been reported as no biggie -- maybe a day or two or three. A few even reported not getting a fever (!).

And predictably, hearing reports of "it wasn't a big deal for me!" from familiars leads to more doubt about "what's really going on" among our family and friends. A few who caught it were denialists -- the rest followed the rules but still felt COVID has been overblown to some degree.

Is there something going on locally that's knowingly depressing COVID symptoms in recent weeks? Those that were most susceptible typically got it early and everyone left are kind of the "hard cases" from the virus' point of view? Perhaps a different milder strain not making the news? Anything at all? Just coincidence and luck?

This will be impossible to vet one way or the other (I don't think the data exists) but:

In the New Orleans area (really, in all of SE LA including Northshore, BR area, etc.) ... are COVID infections lately only causing very mild symptoms for dang near everyone that gets it around here?

Anecdotes and small sample size, I realize ... but several people close to me have tested positive for COVID since mid-December. Only one person over 70, two in their 50s, one 40s, two 30s, one 20s. One in the 50s is decidedly obese.

Anyway -- not one has had a severe symptom. Worst thing anyone of them got is a few days of fatigue. All report changes in sense of smell but even that's been reported as no biggie -- maybe a day or two or three. A few even reported not getting a fever (!).

And predictably, hearing reports of "it wasn't a big deal for me!" from familiars leads to more doubt about "what's really going on" among our family and friends. A few who caught it were denialists -- the rest followed the rules but still felt COVID has been overblown to some degree.

Is there something going on locally that's knowingly depressing COVID symptoms in recent weeks? Those that were most susceptible typically got it early and everyone left are kind of the "hard cases" from the virus' point of view? Perhaps a different milder strain not making the news? Anything at all? Just coincidence and luck?

Coworker had it... she is older, but very healthy. She said it was mild.

Another coworker has it in Oklahoma... she is older, but also very healthy and she said it felt like a severe flu. Last I spoke with her, she was battling it for 6 days and she said it was progressing.

*shrug*

I dunno but my guess is that what you're seeing (and I've seen similar) is just confirmation that for most people, it results in minor or zero symptoms. That's been the one constant throughout the pandemic. But applied across a few hundred million (or a few billion) people, the small minority of severe cases add up to a big number.

My dad and stepmom are both at home, off of full time oxygen and recovering. They both still have symptoms and both have permanent damage to their lungs, how severe that damage will be wont be known for months/years. Stepmom's case was quite odd. She has been dealing with extreme blood pressure and sugar level spikes that has included multiple rounds of IV blood pressure meds and inculin injection despite no history of either. She has also been dealing with extreme anxiety that included panic attacks, also not in her history. She also had extreme, long lasting migraines and still has no sense of taste or smell. Doctors think Covid did some work on her brain and it's causing all of the other issues. Whether or not they persist or go away only time will tell.

Next door neighbor and his wife are both home from the hospital but struggling to do much more than lay in the bed.

Few other friends have got it recently but all seemed to have minor cases but all have been fairly long lasting. This virus is strange.

Oschner in Covington over the weekend had a rolling line from 8-6pm Sat and Sun for shots. The few times i passed ( i take Oschner blvd to get home ) they were 100 deep ( line ).

And no one under the age of 70 it looked like.

was really happy to see that.

Oschner in Covington over the weekend had a rolling line from 8-6pm Sat and Sun for shots. The few times i passed ( i take Oschner blvd to get home ) they were 100 deep ( line ).

And no one under the age of 70 it looked like.

was really happy to see that.
My mom (70+) got hers at Ochsner's main campus on Saturday. They told her that they were on pace to do 1,600 vaccinations that day.

The federal government is changing the way it allocates coronavirus vaccine doses, now basing it on how quickly states can administer shots and the size of their elderly population, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Tuesday.

States will be given two weeks to prepare for the change, Azar told reporters during a news briefing. That should give states enough time to improve their data reporting to the government and ensure all vaccinations are being “promptly” documented, he said.

States aren’t currently reporting vaccinations in a timely matter, Azar said, adding that vaccine doses “are sitting in freezers in hospitals."

I understand prioritizing health care/front line workers first, but after that, I'd open it to anyone that can wants it. Numbers of vaccinations matter more than age or Dept of Labor job classifications.

FWIW this change should benefit Louisiana who have done a pretty good job at getting the vaccine out there as far as I can tell.

I understand prioritizing health care/front line workers first, but after that, I'd open it to anyone that can wants it. Numbers of vaccinations matter more than age or Dept of Labor job classifications.

FWIW this change should benefit Louisiana who have done a pretty good job at getting the vaccine out there as far as I can tell.
Ah, right before it comes to teachers you want to change it up
I see how it is👎🏼

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom