COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) 28,523,524 US cases, 505,309 US deaths.] (9 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Along those same lines....one of my first thoughts was "great....now I get to see 2 masks below everyone's nose".
I wonder when South Park will do a parody on double maskers castigating single maskers, but midway through the show somebody wears a 3rd mask and then they start trying to out mask each other to be more self righteous.

SaintInBucLand

Veteran Starter
Reaction score

I believe this study was to see if it helped after one had already gotten the virus.
Agree, that's a poorly worded article. Almost like it is trying to dissuade people from taking Vitamin C and Zinc, which are both proven to help make your immune system stronger.

If you don't normally take vitamin C or zinc and get coivd and suddenly start taking them, it's not going to help. It's more about being a prophylaxis than a treatment.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Agree, that's a poorly worded article. Almost like it is trying to dissuade people from taking Vitamin C and Zinc, which are both proven to help make your immune system stronger.

If you don't normally take vitamin C or zinc and get coivd and suddenly start taking them, it's not going to help. It's more about being a prophylaxis than a treatment.
I even have questions about that. How could taking things that strengthen your immune system not help even after getting it? Seems the people doing these articles are just looking for a reason to disprove things.

Jeff

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The purgatory between Shreveport and Alexandria
I even have questions about that. How could taking things that strengthen your immune system not help even after getting it? Seems the people doing these articles are just looking for a reason to disprove things.
I don't know about C but a vitamin D deficiency can take 6 to 8 weeks to correct. It's likely that most vitamins and minerals have a ramp-up time that exceeds the incubation period.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't know about C but a vitamin D deficiency can take 6 to 8 weeks to correct. It's likely that most vitamins and minerals have a ramp-up time that exceeds the incubation period.
This prompted me to research.Scurvy is caused by vitamin C deficiency. A full recovery can take up to 3 months or longer.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
But what about long haul covid people....I still say regardless of when you start taking it a vitamin regimen is probably a good idea.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
But what about long haul covid people....I still say regardless of when you start taking it a vitamin regimen is probably a good idea.
Most of the treatments after 7 days focus on reducing immune response though. Doubt it matters at all.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
Johns Hopkins Dr says we have more natural immunity in the population than we think (high rate of unknown/unreported/asymptomatic infections) which is what is driving the rapid drop in cases and hospitilizations.

1613688902049.png

I subscribe to this theory personally - I keep reading how everyone finally stayed home or started wearing masks and it does not match my personal observations. People are as out and about as ever IMO and mask wearing remains very spotty (especially indoor dining which is everywhere in the South) - yet cases are dropping like a stone. Its too early for vaccines to have knocked it down with only 15% of the US getting even 1 shot. Seems like COVID just hit the wall in January, right when the 'Xmas Spike' should have been accelerating.

Anyway, I hope he's right.

Last edited:

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Johns Hopkins Dr says we have more natural immunity in the population than we think (high rate of unknown/unreported/asymptomatic infections) which is what is driving the rapid drop in cases and hospitilizations.

1613688902049.png

I subscribe to this theory personally - I keep reading how everyone finally stayed home or started wearing masks and it does not match my personal observations. People are as out and about as ever IMO and mask wearing remains very spotty (especially indoor dining which is everywhere in the South) - yet cases are dropping like a stone. Its too early for vaccines to have knocked it down with only 15% of the US getting even 1 shot. Seems like COVID just hit the wall in January, right when the 'Xmas Spike' should have been accelerating.

Anyway, I hope he's right.
I hope this is true. I've seen mask wearing greatly improved. As for indoor restaurants, you have to remove it to eat. But to your point, there are a lot of people eating out again. We were invited for a get together with 3-4 other couples, but declined. I'm not ready to go there, yet. Waiting to be eligible for the shot. And I haven't missed eating out greatly.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
I hope this is true. I've seen mask wearing greatly improved. As for indoor restaurants, you have to remove it to eat. But to your point, there are a lot of people eating out again. We were invited for a get together with 3-4 other couples, but declined. I'm not ready to go there, yet. Waiting to be eligible for the shot. And I haven't missed eating out greatly.
I drove across the South over the long weekend (LA/MS/AL/GA/SC) - mask wearing was about 50/50 in the rural areas, higher in the urban areas but there was indoor dining and pretty well packed restaurants everywhere. It is certainly possible that people have drastically changed - I am admittedly using personal observation here. Just seems like its something else having been in various truck stops and restaurants along the way

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Same. I think there is probably more herd immunity in the people that just said fork it an kept going out, and then much less in those of us that have played it very conservative. I figure the shots aren't that far away, so I'm going to wait it out.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
Looks like you only need one Pfizer shot instead of two - that would massively change our available supply....

The Covid-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE generates robust immunity after one dose and can be stored in ordinary freezers instead of at ultracold temperatures, according to new research and data released by the companies.

The findings provide strong arguments in favor of delaying the second dose of the two-shot vaccine, as the U.K. has done. They could also have substantial implications on vaccine policy and distribution around the world, simplifying the logistics of distributing the vaccine.

A single shot of the vaccine is 85% effective in preventing symptomatic disease 15 to 28 days after being administered, according to a peer-reviewed study conducted by the Israeli government-owned Sheba Medical Center and published in the Lancet medical journal. Pfizer and BioNTech recommend that a second dose is administered 21 days after the first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)