COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) 28,523,524 US cases, 505,309 US deaths.] (19 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Johns Hopkins Dr says we have more natural immunity in the population than we think (high rate of unknown/unreported/asymptomatic infections) which is what is driving the rapid drop in cases and hospitilizations.

1613688902049.png

I subscribe to this theory personally - I keep reading how everyone finally stayed home or started wearing masks and it does not match my personal observations. People are as out and about as ever IMO and mask wearing remains very spotty (especially indoor dining which is everywhere in the South) - yet cases are dropping like a stone. Its too early for vaccines to have knocked it down with only 15% of the US getting even 1 shot. Seems like COVID just hit the wall in January, right when the 'Xmas Spike' should have been accelerating.

Anyway, I hope he's right.
I believe it's a combination of people who've already had it and the vaccinations. The drops started around 2 weeks after
the vaccines were first administered

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
In the last three weeks I've been in 14 states and 2 countries. I can see an overwhelming difference in mask usage. The exception here is the rural areas of Ms, Al, La and Tx. The cities in these states seem to be much improved though.

Combine that with vaccines and antibodies from the virus itself it's had a huge impact on the virus spread. I do think we will keep declining for the next week or two but the rate of decline will slow and we'll level off soon. Problem spots are going to be the deep south, mid atlantic coastal areas, southern Tx and southern California. I do think we will start to see cases rise in March as the country comes out of deep freeze but only briefly and then we will begin to see a nosedive in cases again. Still do not think the variances will matter all that much. The idea that it would be the dominant strain by March leading to another big surge seems like quite the longshot.

With all that said, the only family members left on my wife's side that haven't had covid yet tested positive today with symptoms.

My second shot was postponed due to weather but will get it tomorrow morning.

Reaction score
With all that said, the only family members left on my wife's side that haven't had covid yet tested positive today with symptoms.
I'm curious.. when you say the only family members left, how many people are you talking about in the family?

bclemms

Reaction score
I'm curious.. when you say the only family members left, how many people are you talking about in the family?
Dozens. For two of them it is their second time getting covid. My father in law has been exposed a half dozen times but managed to avoid it but now it looks like he has it after skipping his vaccine appointment his doctor set up because he didn't trust the vaccine. The only family member member on my wife's side that hasn't had it is her aunt who has been super safe.

Just hung up with my dad. His brother in law that had covid with him back in December is now showing symptoms after his son got on a plane with them with symptoms and later testing positive and he exposed my dad and stepmom. This just a few weeks after my dad passed in his vaccine a few weeks after spending 25 days in the hospital.

Just shows this won't completely go away but at least it is for the most part optional at this point.

nolaswede

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Down to 3.27% positivity rate and “only” 530 cases including probable cases. And it’s the first time in a while, that Orleans parish had a higher case # than Jefferson Parish. If that continues, my guess is that actual number is way higher than the official one.

Reaction score
Dozens. For two of them it is their second time getting covid. My father in law has been exposed a half dozen times but managed to avoid it but now it looks like he has it after skipping his vaccine appointment his doctor set up because he didn't trust the vaccine. The only family member member on my wife's side that hasn't had it is her aunt who has been super safe.

Just hung up with my dad. His brother in law that had covid with him back in December is now showing symptoms after his son got on a plane with them with symptoms and later testing positive and he exposed my dad and stepmom. This just a few weeks after my dad passed in his vaccine a few weeks after spending 25 days in the hospital.

Just shows this won't completely go away but at least it is for the most part optional at this point.
That's wild. My family is pretty active and no immediate family has gotten it. 1 friend got it. Out of town family from TX and MS got it.

Maybe it's something in our water keeping us safe :D

nolaswede

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about your family. Always difficult!

Been curious about the chances to get it twice and wonder how common it really is. Can’t really find much information out there. Your family members that have had it, did they have a milder version?

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
We just had a close call. My son's girlfriend tested positive after finding out people she worked with Thursday and Sunday were positive. My son saw her on Saturday and Sunday evening, so we were bracing ourselves that he was positive and may have spread it to the rest of the household, but fortunately his test came back negative. It looks like she contracted it Sunday afternoon (she just lost her taste and smell yesterday, which usually happens 3-4 days after infection), so not enough time had passed for her to spread it when he saw her Sunday night.

Needless to say we were quite releived when we received his results yesterday, and this was good wake up call for him and us. I think since school returned to two days a week in class last month he and some of his friends were beginning to act and socialize like it was over. Eleven months in, vaccines around the corner, the finish line almost in sight, this is not the time to get careless.

bclemms

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your family. Always difficult!

Been curious about the chances to get it twice and wonder how common it really is. Can’t really find much information out there. Your family members that have had it, did they have a milder version?
Just the opposite for them. They had a mild case the first time, this time they are getting their arses kicked.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wonder if you need to bring any id?

nm have to be enrolled in VA healthcare. im not.

yet lol
I'd encourage you to do it. While I'm not a vet, I do know a few, and in spite of all the press they've had over the years, there are some definite perks to being enrolled, I think. This was years ago though. Don't know if that's still the case today.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Down to 3.27% positivity rate and “only” 530 cases including probable cases. And it’s the first time in a while, that Orleans parish had a higher case # than Jefferson Parish. If that continues, my guess is that actual number is way higher than the official one.
The county I live in is down to 4.16 positivity from a high of 17.6% in early January.

I'm glad to report that the nursing home where I work has been declared free of outbreak, and we may be taking visitors beginning March 1 :)

bclemms

Reaction score
That's wild. My family is pretty active and no immediate family has gotten it. 1 friend got it. Out of town family from TX and MS got it.

Maybe it's something in our water keeping us safe :D
My firend in Tampa was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, traveled to Iceland as their outbreak was getting rolling, then he went to NYC as it was exploding, then was in Florida during it's summer boom. We joke that he is patient 0 spreading his covid seed all over the planet. He has been on at least 60 flights the last year, took only minor precautions like wearing a mask in public and washing his hands. Tested negative for antibodies twice, never had it, wasn't exposed, doesn't know anyone close to him that has had it, none of his family has gotten it in any part of the country. Then you have people like my wife's family and I that have seen it run wild through both sides of family, our friends and neighbors.

These are the states I've been to since Covid started, many of them multiple times.
1613774631657.png

I haven't been exposed once but also took some pretty extreme precautions. I've only been on a handful of commercial flights (all but one since getting the vaccine) and have been on a few small private flights. The rest has been in my car, by myself, sleeping in my car and packing my own food when Covid was really running hard. When covid was at lower levels I stayed in some hotels but always made sure they had independent heating/cooling units in each room, wore a mask and disinfected the room myself. During the stretch from the second half of November until I got the vaccine in January I completely took off from work and stayed at home because I knew how bad it would be and just didn't take any chances. I've completely avoided friends and family, didn't eat out until after vaccine, didn't even go to the store (had groceries delivered) and kids have been homeschooled. I probably didn't need to go that far but I haven't been exposed. I also understand that not everyone can do those things. However, there is a big difference between my actions and not changing any behavior at all. Unfortunately only my mom, two of my aunt's and my wife's aunt really took it at least somewhat seriously. Now here we are a year later and the only family members that took it serious are the only ones that didn't get it. It's quite telling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 4)