COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (3 Viewers)

did you see the news where Metairie was gearing up for mardi gras?
Gonna be kind of weird. No parade route ... so just go fill the streets of Fat City? Or else hang out at various barrooms throughout the parish?

The Fly is closing again for Mardi Gras. I would still prefer the city allow outdoor activity rather than drive everyone indoors or to JP but Latoya is gonna Latoya.

I guess it doesn't really matter since the weather will be terrible.

This doctor did the right thing, didn't waste an almost full vial, and was fired for it. Sickening. We'd rather waste doses than get people vaccinated.

Does anyone have any good articles regarding the chance of catching it twice. I haven’t been able to find that much good info out there. And if one gets it, are you more likely to be asymptomatic etc? I remember an article, I think it was Australian, that showed people still having antibodies after 8 months. And then then some say people have gotten it 2-3 times.

Is everyone wearing two masks now? The CDC is now suggesting it.
Started yesterday with this because we visited a home which was not in our family's bubble.

A seamstress family friend made us some sweet double-layer masks last summer. We bought a few dozen and have been using them ever since. They've always fit well enough on me and my son, but they were somewhat big on my wife and daughter. Anyway, we found that double-masking helps my wife and daughter get a better "seal" overall. I wore two masks, as well, and it felt like there was no room to fit a virus in edgewise.

The point of the new CDC guidance is not strictly "wear two masks", though that's how the media is interpreting it. Rather, the guidance is "get your mask to fit better" and it happens that wearing two masks is an easy way to do it. Here's the actual title of the CDC's new guidance:

Maximizing Fit for Cloth and Medical Procedure Masks to Improve Performance and Reduce SARS-CoV-2 Transmission and Exposure, 2021

After reading through the specifics of the guidance ... the "maximizing fit" part is the crucial bit. Not "wearing two masks". Double-masking is presented as simply one of several means to an end. Other recommended fit-improvements include:

• Tying the loops of surgical masks a certain way to reduce air gaps (see picture C here), then tucking in any loose fabric to create an even better seal. This can also be done with many types of cloth masks. Note that this is still wearing a single mask, just with care taken to close in the common side gaps.
  • Wearing a plastic mask fitter over your surgical or cloth mask.
  • Wearing a neck gaiter -- even a thin single-layer nylon one is sufficient -- over a surgical or cloth mask.

Started yesterday with this because we visited a home which was not in our family's bubble.

A seamstress family friend made us some sweet double-layer masks last summer. We bought a few dozen and have been using them ever since. They've always fit well enough on me and my son, but they were somewhat big on my wife and daughter. Anyway, we found that double-masking helps my wife and daughter get a better "seal" overall. I wore two masks, as well, and it felt like there was no room to fit a virus in edgewise.

The point of the new CDC guidance is not strictly "wear two masks", though that's how the media is interpreting it. Rather, the guidance is "get your mask to fit better" and it happens that wearing two masks is an easy way to do it. Here's the actual title of the CDC's new guidance:

Maximizing Fit for Cloth and Medical Procedure Masks to Improve Performance and Reduce SARS-CoV-2 Transmission and Exposure, 2021

After reading through the specifics of the guidance ... the "maximizing fit" part is the crucial bit. Not "wearing two masks". Double-masking is presented as simply one of several means to an end. Other recommended fit-improvements include:

• Tying the loops of surgical masks a certain way to reduce air gaps (see picture C here), then tucking in any loose fabric to create an even better seal. This can also be done with many types of cloth masks. Note that this is still wearing a single mask, just with care taken to close in the common side gaps.
  • Wearing a plastic mask fitter over your surgical or cloth mask.
  • Wearing a neck gaiter -- even a thin single-layer nylon one is sufficient -- over a surgical or cloth mask.

A public health doctor told me this messaging is not necessarily about 2 masks per se but to get people that don't wear a mask to at least wear one, or pull the one they do wear above their chin.

FWIW I am Team Bandana and will remain so - don't @ me - though I carry a few surgical ones just in case, after I was denied boarding on SWA (after flying 3 prior times with no issues wearing a bandana).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom