COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (25 Viewers)

I realize you guys have your minds made up on this... and will find issues or pick apart everything I post about this....

I just wanted to provide the Links, Data, Reliable sources, and historical context to back up my take prior to being asked for it...

I knew before hand it didn't matter, and that even then the data would be downplayed rebuffed and discounted for various personal reasons and predisposed perspectives...

But like I said, I don't have kids in school (nor do I know any teachers) so it doesn't impact me... just wanted you guys to have it within your conversation about this because it's literally being reported that way all over the globe.

Again, from the third article you linked about the French study:

" The data on kids has been contradictory so far, with some reports corroborating the Pasteur findings and at least one pointing the other way." [Emphasis in Original]

Again, from the third article you linked about the French study:

" The data on kids has been contradictory so far, with some reports corroborating the Pasteur findings and at least one pointing the other way." [Emphasis in Original]

I literally Googled it once... picked the top 3 articles... and read them... there are countless sources and articles worldwide that are finding the same thing... a 15 second GIS bares that out.

I just grabbed the top few before I was asked for them...

Feel free to keep looking.

I realize you guys have your minds made up on this... and will find issues or pick apart everything I post about this....

I just wanted to provide the Links, Data, Reliable sources, and historical context to back up my take prior to being asked for it...

I knew before hand it didn't matter, and that even then the data would be downplayed rebuffed and discounted for various personal reasons and predisposed perspectives...

But like I said, I don't have kids in school so it doesn't impact me... just wanted you guys to have it within your conversation about this because it's literally being reported that way all over the globe.
I think the issue is that the US is by FAR the worst country at handling the pandemic at this point. Brazil is closing in but as of right now the US is utterly embarrassing. So, people don't have faith that the school systems will fare much better than the country as a whole. The entire thing is one ginormous cluster**** of missteps. And if you had school aged children, the thought of having your child walk into what is basically a giant warzone/petri dish (which school historically are anyway even without a pandemic) is alarming and disheartening. NOTHING has been shown to give U.S. parents faith that the school system will be handled well. I mean, how much death of children is acceptable? What percentage of children dying due to further mishandling is ok? Ask most parents, and the answer will probably be 0.

I think the issue is that the US is by FAR the worst country at handling the pandemic at this point. Brazil is closing in but as of right now the US is utterly embarrassing. So, people don't have faith that the school systems will fare much better than the country as a whole. The entire thing is one ginormous cluster**** of missteps. And if you had school aged children, the thought of having your child walk into what is basically a giant warzone/petri dish (which school historically are anyway even without a pandemic) is alarming and disheartening. NOTHING has been shown to give U.S. parents faith that the school system will be handled well. I mean, how much death of children is acceptable? What percentage of children dying due to further mishandling is ok? Ask most parents, and the answer will probably be 0.

I get that... and that's fair... but as I have said before... there will never be zero risk with anything in life, so the decision has to be made on real-time data with context based risk assessments.

Not being insensitive... it's just how I see it.

Yeah ok, we're gonna force kids back to school when top federal leadership has not begun to take the virus seriously.

"Children, raise your hand if you think you are asymptomatic for coronavirus."

Raising-Hands.jpg

I literally Googled it once... picked the top 3 articles...

This is one of the problems of so much information at our hands.

This is “research” in 2020.

I draaaagggggged 90 students this year through weeks of academic database research and engagement. No google. Google
Scholar acceptable. No Wikipedia (which should function as a good starting point but too often they stop there) . University, scholarly, academic databases. It sucks. It’s boring. It’s tedious.

Tough. I don’t care.

It’s called RE-search. What most of them - and adults too - do is just search. And called it research. It’s •literally• not.

if we are going to demand critical thought and informed opinions, then we should model it better

It’s a good first step. It just can’t be the only step.

Also, for a country that wants life to return to normal sooner and kids to go to school, then suck it up. Wear a mask. Stay home.

Yes, the longer kids are out of school the more they suffer academically and socially.

but dont tell me you give a damn about that when you refuse to wear a mask or skip your weekly dinner out or your nails getting done or whatever

because what you are really saying is you don’t •actually• care about kids falling behind socially and academically. You just need to go to work and need someone to watch your kid.

The wild card in all this are the parents. Do you have faith that parents will have had real talks with their kids and impressed on them how serious this all is? I have less than zero faith that's happened.....it doesn't help that the parents themselves aren't taking it serious. I keep thinking back to March when the school closings were on the horizon. My daughter (8th grade) said boys were intentionally coughing on each other as a joke hoping school would be closed. Has enough changed between then and now? I seriously doubt it.
Then the other side is a kid like my youngest - we never used scare tactics or installed draconian measures or anything but he has significant fear of ‘outside’
And this was a kid who loved to play outside
So along with the cavalier kids, you’ll also have the way apprehensive kids in the same mix
How is this going to pan out??

I get that... and that's fair... but as I have said before... there will never be zero risk with anything in life, so the decision has to be made on real-time data with context based risk assessments.

Not being insensitive... it's just how I see it.

Even with that view..We're still in unprecedented territory. We don't know how exactly it will effect school-aged children and their environment (teachers, cafeteria workers, etc). We don't know how kids, teenagers, or even adults who catch the disease fare over the duration of many years -- what long term effects it may have on the blood, brain and other vital organs. Many studies seem to indicate there is some lasting impact on health.

The result could be one that costs thousands of lives, if not more. Again, this is a novel disease like nothing we've faced before in the modern era...Sure, everything comes with risk. But it's not every day you have a high probability of being a healthy individual going out on the town and if you don't wear proper PPE, being admitted to the ER days later. This doesn't happen with the flu. This doesn't happen with a stomach bug or any of the other basic seasonal infections.

And again...the scariest part is we hardly know enough about it yet like we do the other sicknesses. And we have no vaccine.

I really don't see how it isn't the most intelligent approach to err on the side of caution.

It really is disheartening though to see the sheer number of ordinary people who are for all intents and purposes conspiracy theorists out there pumping fraudulent information to fit their bias. It's almost like they cheerlead against science based data for some odd political reason. It's these people who will more likely than not find out the hard way, again, that Biology and Virology in particular doesn't give a damn about your opinions.....

Even with that view..We're still in unprecedented territory. We don't know how exactly it will effect school-aged children and their environment (teachers, cafeteria workers, etc). We don't know how kids, teenagers, or even adults who catch the disease fare over the duration of many years -- what long term effects it may have on the blood, brain and other vital organs. Many studies seem to indicate there is some lasting impact on health.

The result could be one that costs thousands of lives, if not more. Again, this is a novel disease like nothing we've faced before in the modern era...Sure, everything comes with risk. But it's not every day you have a high probability of being a healthy individual going out on the town and if you don't wear proper PPE, being admitted to the ER days later. This doesn't happen with the flu. This doesn't happen with a stomach bug or any of the other basic seasonal infections.

And again...the scariest part is we hardly know enough about it yet like we do the other sicknesses. And we have no vaccine.

I really don't see how it isn't the most intelligent approach to err on the side of caution.
I don't think we have come close to seeing the Covid at full strength. This late fall and winter will be very telling. Heck it wouldn't surprise me to see this Virus mutate and become even stronger after surviving summer. I can't recall any illness that gains steam in the summer months, but yet Covid has.

Will Covid strike you if you get a cold or regular flu or deal with fall allergens. In CentralTexas every Januarary Cedar Fever Strike hard. There are going to be lots of variables with Covid in 3 months.

Yep, 25 people. Does that include the restaurant/bar staff?

Edit: seating capacity is limited to 25.

I don't know how restaurants come out the other side of this. I don't insure many, but the ones I do, I feel terribly for. One in particular on St. Charles... Family run for 40 years. I don't know how they surivive this if for extended period of time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom