COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (14 Viewers)

Well today we are floating the idea of no masks for under 10. I have a 9 year old that won’t be going to 4th grade if that is the answer.

That, and my uncle in Carbondale, Colorado was supposed to have knee surgery. Long story short he tested positive for Covid during pre-surgery procedures.

he played D-1 OG in the 70’s. Other than having his knees shot he is in pretty good health. But he is in his 60’s, so we’ll see.
I cannot imagine a teachers union going for this.

Well today we are floating the idea of no masks for under 10. I have a 9 year old that won’t be going to 4th grade if that is the answer.

That, and my uncle in Carbondale, Colorado was supposed to have knee surgery. Long story short he tested positive for Covid during pre-surgery procedures.

he played D-1 OG in the 70’s. Other than having his knees shot he is in pretty good health. But he is in his 60’s, so we’ll see.

Hope he's okay man.

I have someone I know that has it - my first time with a case among people in my direct communication.

here is their full study. I'm not sure if this was before they were putting folks in masks, or after. If before, there are a few other considerations, like weather, air flow, etc.

So far, based on the two studies, there seems to be a dividing line around the age of 15. So, high school was more likely to spread, but grade school wasn't.

So, there may be a pathway to opening grade schools, but High schools will likely have to be online or with very strong protocols. The 6ft won't work, because classes aren't big enough.
This is where it gets weird for me. The same way people complain about it being a made up virus how do I justify not believing studies that say it's fine for me to send my kids to public school? I don't believe that....it's not fine to me. I know in my house with 3 kids EVERY year we get sick from something one of them brings home from school. This year the stakes are much higher. I have zero doubts that if I get it I'm done....I'll never survive it. I had a lung infection 2 years ago where I coughed for 2 months, I take blood pressure medicine, I'm over weight, and I take medicine to control my blood sugar. I'm a walking poster child for the people that die from this infection. The study can say 10% but if I get it that quickly becomes 100%. I want all the precautions and I always want to err on the side of extreme caution. I don't want to leave my kids fatherless.

I finally came up with the right mask analogy.

It's like in the movie Signs when the world figured out that water defeated the aliens . . . and Americans were like "You can't tell me what to do with my water!"

This is where it gets weird for me. The same way people complain about it being a made up virus how do I justify not believing studies that say it's fine for me to send my kids to public school? I don't believe that....it's not fine to me. I know in my house with 3 kids EVERY year we get sick from something one of them brings home from school. This year the stakes are much higher. I have zero doubts that if I get it I'm done....I'll never survive it. I had a lung infection 2 years ago where I coughed for 2 months, I take blood pressure medicine, I'm over weight, and I take medicine to control my blood sugar. I'm a walking poster child for the people that die from this infection. The study can say 10% but if I get it that quickly becomes 100%. I want all the precautions and I always want to err on the side of extreme caution. I don't want to leave my kids fatherless.

Fwiw, My wife is 62 and type 2 diabetic. Our family Dr. put her at 14% fatal. It's no joke,but may not be a death sentence> we are not willing to risk it. Her butt is staying home.

Fwiw, My wife is 62 and type 2 diabetic. Our family Dr. put her at 14% fatal. It's no joke,but may not be a death sentence> we are not willing to risk it. Her butt is staying home.
It doesn't help when you read the stories of people much younger and in much better shape passing from covid. If they didn't make it what chance do I have? I don't understand how a Dr assigns 14% to someone about an infection we really still don't know a ton about. I would say you and your wife just need to do the best you can to limit risk.....which is what I'm doing except now I'm being told it's perfectly fine to send my 3 kids to a building that routinely gets us sick every year.

It doesn't help when you read the stories of people much younger and in much better shape passing from covid. If they didn't make it what chance do I have? I don't understand how a Dr assigns 14% to someone about an infection we really still don't know a ton about. I would say you and your wife just need to do the best you can to limit risk.....which is what I'm doing except now I'm being told it's perfectly fine to send my 3 kids to a building that routinely gets us sick every year.

don't ask me how she came up with the %. I just trust her medical knowledge. It far exceeds mine. She's basing that% on current
medical knowledge. She put me at 9% by the way . I'm borderline high blood pressure and have dangerously high cholesterol that I'm taking 3 meds to control it.

But you aren't being told it's perfectly fine.
The French study just suggests that for young kids, with the right precautions, school may be an acceptable risk.
But that assumes a background level.of infection way, way lower than what the US has.
So no, at this point it's certainly *not* "fine" to send your kids to school.

Imagine you're asking someone about making a long drive in the winter.
They reply "Well, it's not too dangerous if you have studded snow tires, four-wheel drive and it's a clear, windless day."
Then you look outside at your '85 Pinto with racing slicks as it quickly becomes a snowdrift in a raging blizzard.

Here we go. Changing Science because it isn't convenient again. It didn't work in January, February, March, April, May, June and hasn't worked so far in July so we'll give it another go in August.

giphy.gif

Was hoping they'd do this. The science is the science, and changing it for convenience basically takes away any credibility in the department's findings.

Our city, just outside of Toronto, had a city council meeting tonight.

Unanimous vote - masks are now mandated here, too. Was glad to see that, even though most people had been doing it (like 85%) prior to the mandate.
I am just south of you in London, Ontario...wish they would do that here. We have had very few cases so people do not seem to take it very seriously. I am not a high risk individual but I wear my mask to not be a spreader and get very annoyed that others do not seem to be as courteous

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom