COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (14 Viewers)

I work with someone who thinks Covid is a hoax. He also thinks the Earth is flat so there's that.

BTW hope you and your wife are well. I'll never forgot your support while my wife had severe pneumonia and was hospitalized while dealing with what was likely Covid back in February.
I remember that, my friend, and I remember your concern over her well-being. This crap is real when it shows up on our doorsteps. Unfortunately, many will not get it at all until it does materialize in their homes. And it will.

Last edited:
I remember that, my friend, and I remember your concern over her well-being. This crap is real when it shows up on our doorsteps. Unfortunately, many will not get it at all until it does. materialize in their homes. And it will
In A twist of irony in Feb. I was only person in hospital wearing a mask. I didn't see one nurse or doctor with one on.

Ivy League cancelled all sports until 2021 stating that current optimism simply isn't matching reality.

Most places are saying it's just the Ivy League and it wont have an impact on the rest of NCAA sports. Then again, they all said that when the Ivy League suspended basketball in March and 3 days later there wasn't a sport to be found on the globe.

None of these studies have been. Theyve all been with multiple uncontrolled variables, but that is the most realistic. Kids in schools, people at work, we have 15 different kinds of masks, cleanliness levels, personal space, removing masks, not removing masks...

From someone who does scientific studies all the time, often you need some real world tests thrown in there as well.

Oh, I know. Trust me, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the fact that many studies are done in controlled environments that don't reflect what happens in the real world. Some done on purpose, some just negligently so. I'm just saying that it's hard to do any real hard science with things like viruses since medical ethics prevents us from purposely exposing people. And tests with controlled variable and control groups are the gold standard for hard science. But, that's more about tearing down a position than establishing what is a scientific "Truth."

But, it's often the case that with medical issues, we have to rely on epidemiology and case studies that aren't controlled and may have very small sample sizes to draw conclusions. It's the reason the tobacco companies got away with denying that cigarettes and/or second hand smoke causes cancer for so long. It took a long time for the weight of the evidence from epidemiology and case studies to be of enough weight to draw conclusions because we couldn't do real controlled experiments where people were intentionally exposed to cigarette smoke. The only real experiments we could do was on rodents and their physiology is not quite the same. We have also done rodent experiments with COVID, but they have the same issues.

The problem with those steroids is that long term use can lead to scarring of the lungs and reduction in lung function.
We're lucky this was a short 5-day course. Chronic users do face the reduced lung function and scarring which you reference.

Ivy League cancelled all sports until 2021 stating that current optimism simply isn't matching reality.

Most places are saying it's just the Ivy League and it wont have an impact on the rest of NCAA sports. Then again, they all said that when the Ivy League suspended basketball in March and 3 days later there wasn't a sport to be found on the globe.
I guess we'll see how mighty the $$$ is. I just don't see how college football is going to happen.

In defense of the non-ivy schools, they don't have billion-dollar endowments to keep them going, the sports revenue of some schools represents a significant part of the income. A college town with no college sports is almost a ghost town. I think big conferences will try but the mid-majors may cancel like the Cal State system.

Over 3000 new cases in 3 days and 39 deaths in time span in Austin area. This from a place where people where mask willingly since outbreak and has had strong mask mandates. Can only imagine what areas with careless mask measures are like.
Any word on what's driving the infections there? I know Austin has a hopping night life...bar driven perhaps where people aren't wearing masks?

We're lucky this was a short 5-day course. Chronic users do face the reduced lung function and scarring which you reference.

Yeah, it's really more of an issue for people with COPD/Emphysema. If it's short course it just helps with breathing and fighting off viral infections in the lungs. It's often used to treat viral pneumonia which is why it makes sense that it helps with COVID.

People with COPD/Emphysema tend to get pneumonia often and the only real treatment is steroids, which help to fight off the pneumonia, but scar the lungs over the long term. I know my dad had emphysema and kept getting pneumonia as a result. So, he was off and on steroids for years. That lead to his lungs getting more scarred and his heart having to work harder and harder to get oxygen into his bloodstream. That ultimately lead to him dying of a massive heart attack at 67.

Well, Louisiana and New Orleans continue the slow climb in numbers. Some of it is a backlog of tests, but that just means that this rise started earlier. And, 12.8% positive is not good news at all. It was at 10% a few days ago. But, some of that could be the backlog reporting.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom