COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (17 Viewers)

Press conference on a Saturday? Has he been doing them on weekends lately? If not, then I would have to think it's something "big" that he'll be announcing. Maybe coming to his senses and mandating masks, but that's probably too much to ask. Could be the Phase 1 rumors we've been hearing.

He's typically been doing them mid week. A Saturday press conference seems pretty atypical. Hopefully it's something of substance and not another toothless request to do the thing everyone keeps failing to do.

Louisiana governor has a press conference at 230 today for a covid update. Anyone here have a guess as to what’s gonna happen?
I hope he announces mandatory face masks. Could it also be rolling back to Phase 1 rumor that we have been hearing.

Press conference on a Saturday? Has he been doing them on weekends lately? If not, then I would have to think it's something "big" that he'll be announcing. Maybe coming to his senses and mandating masks, but that's probably too much to ask. Could be the Phase 1 rumors we've been hearing.

I don't recall him giving press conferences on weekends since sometime in April or May. It would seem that this would have to be some sort of fairly major announcement, but it could just be another "no, really, wear a mask. This time I really mean it." Let's hope that's not the case.

But surely the people here who support re-opening have more to it than that?

I think there are people that believe the economic hardship is greater than the pandemic hardship, but those people are more rational and reasonable in their approach to opposing it. When you see people making specious arguments or acting crazy it's the dreaded P word.

Without delving into the dreaded ”P”-word that frightens away long-time adherents of the site, can someone please explain to me the rationale for the behavior of those women and COVID-parties and the general resistance to mask wearing?
people smoke, people have unprotected sex, people drink and drive, people root for the falcons
there is all sort of risky, adverse behavior people get up to
generally someone has way more of a psychological drive for short term stroke vs long term benefit/goal setting

then throwing a social dynamic like politics or religion or culture on top of risky behavior and it's gas on a fire

I'm sorry but some of this is a privilege(non-compliance with public safety guidelines) that most people of color can not relate to. Black and Brown people who resist authority are confronted with quick, and often harsh sanctioning in public and private places(I'm not referring to protest or civil disobedience).

And, IMO adherence to one P Word party or another has become a lifestyle and culture choice for many people over the years. It's how they choose which station or source to get their news from. It's how they choose who to follow on social media. It's even how they pick their favorite sports ball player. In fact, choosing a political party has become more like picking a team to be a fan of than anything else. It's the image that matters, not the substance.

The result is that people follow politics like it's a sport. They become fans of one political ideology or the other and they follow the leader of that party no matter what they say and tend to mimic what they and other leaders of that party do. After all, "fanatic" is the source of the word "fan." So, when their leaders supports outrageous behavior their fans mimic that outrageous behavior. And so we get people recording themselves acting like arses in public, saying dumb things about HIPAA and the Constitution, and then they, not someone else, post them on social media for everyone to see how big a fan of their team they are. It would be a fascinating psychological subject if it wasn't so dangerous.

And, FWIW, I think there are some who have logically looked at this and decided that they think the economic damage created by "shutting down" will be worse than the damage of the virus. I disagree with them because I think it will cost too many lives AND we will still end up with serious economic problems from this virus, even if we don't shut down again, but I respect an opinion that is based on facts and a weighing of one side versus the other. I don't respect ranting and raving based on fanaticism and lack of knowledge.
This didn't just happen, one group has its own major network that has provided a huge loudspeaker to promote an ideology to the masses. People may say MSNBC is a left-wing network but they don't mention that CNBC is a pro-business site that aligns more closely with a traditional business perspective, and they both offshoots of they're both sub-networks of NBC. I have to give it Ailes and his elephant friends for thinking long term in the 80s.

I’m not sure which of the threads to put this in and it may already be in one. But this is very scary for me. Without Nexium I’m miserable enough I wish I were dead. I’m not exaggerating a lot here. Before those drugs acid ruled most of my thoughts.

Well I’m not going near any P word until it’s safe to be within 6 feet again. But I’m scared of those (admittedly early) findings on heart burn meds. Correlation is enough. I take it from the article that Pepcid doesn’t put me at higher risk so I just ordered some.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom