COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

If you're keeping score at home, on March 11 we had 127,000 cases, and 2,000-3,000 deaths. That was FOUR MONTHS AGO.

In four months, we've had 3,000,000 new cases and at least 130,000 deaths (between the massive increases in (1) deaths classified as "pnuemonia" and (2) deaths of unknown cause at home, I'd peg this number at least at 150,000).

Run that over a year, it's 12,000,000 cases and 400,000-500,000 deaths. By comparison, heart disease kills (as of 2017) about 635,000 and cancer 598,000 per year.

Come to your own conclusions as to how and why.

It's totally fine, though. Under control. Soon, those 3,000,000 cases will be down to close to zero. One day, it's like a miracle, it will disappear.

I refuse to ignore how we got here, and believe doing so is detrimental to our present and future.

I want the America that pioneers innovation, invests in cutting edge technologies, leads the way on science and medicine. While there are injustices our society must confront and correct, it is also true that our history is rich with accomplishment. I want to believe that we are so much better than we look in 2020.

All I have been hearing for the past several days (from coworkers) is how 98% survive the virus. They don’t think it’s a big deal. I have heard anecdotes from a few that say their doctor has told them they should not worry much about it and the masks are a farce.
We don’t have it bad here and for us, life really hasn’t changed. I work for a defense contractor and we have been conducting business as usual. We had two people get the virus and they both say it was not a big deal.
Not very many people I work with are taking this seriously and are mad that they have to wear masks in certain places.

It is absolutely mind boggling to me how some people think that 2 out of every 100 people dying from a contagious virus is no big deal. It's like society has become completely desensitized to death and no longer cares about the overall impact that death has on other people or their families. Either that, or they simply just don't understand data analytics in any way whatsoever and are too selfish to want to make the attempt to.

Compare this to the Pneumonia/Influenza, which sees a death rate of less than 2 of every 10,000 people, and it is clear to see how much more serious this thing is and why we can't just go about functioning like normal.

2 out of every 100 people dying (possibly more), closing in on 140,000 people dead in four months from a contagious virus that we have no cure for, and people are turning their noses up at prevention measures - we have failed as a country at raising people and teaching them to care for one another, plain and simple.

It is also sickening to see so many people's "doctors" and "nurses" still flashing their credentials to speak up on a topic they aren't truly qualified to speak on (Epidemiology and mass virus spread prevention tactics), and people that don't understand their lack of qualification take them at their word.

I saw a viral Facebook video the other day of a "doctor" being a naysayer on the impact of COVID-19, and talking down on the masks and all the social distancing stuff. At the beginning of the video, he sort of brags that he needs to be quick because he has a couple of patients waiting for him right now, then he goes on to go through all the typical talking points based off of conjecture, bad math, and a clear misunderstanding of articles and data. There are literally thousands of replies to the video, of people agreeing with him, saying "thank you so much doctor," and people using that video as replies in debates, and sharing it on their pages, etc.

I google the doctor's name....and he's a friggin' Chiropractor.

The province had 116 new cases yesterday, and only four health units province-wide - had more than 5 new cases. 17 public health units provided no new cases at all.

As a result, we are looking at Stage 3 in many areas of the province that might come as early as next week.

Increasingly, politicians up here are facing pressure from American politicians to open up the border - but there is absolute solidarity *against that happening*

He added that Ontarians are in "such a better position than our friends south of the border," and that he does not want to reopen the border with U.S. anytime soon.

"Our American friends, I love you, but stay home," Ford said.

Keep in mind, Ford is super duper US-friendly. He wants US commerce and businesses. It's one of the things he's been criticized for. And he's steadfast in keeping the border closed, and travelers from America out.

The adherence to masks and social distancing has also helped the economy, as 380,000 jobs were added. But I know that number can be kind of confusing, in the way jobs that were added were some that had closed previously because of the pandemic.

So we are now living in a condo building after we sold our house. The building has a big sign on the entry doors and elevators that say "Masks Required in Building!" It's not a big building so we typically don't see other people, but when we do, masks are about 50%.

This morning I took the kids up to the pool on the rooftop deck. There's an indoor common area / clubhouse that is pretty nice. There is currently a birthday party of some sort going on . . . looks to be people in their early 30s, I'd guess. About 15 of them, not a single mask. Carrying on as normal.

The odds are that it's nothing - but if any one of them is infectious this morning, it's likely that this activity would generate at least several more infections - perhaps more. And then of course it gets geometric and potentially exponential from there.

Scary. So out of 11,000 how many will develop serious, and potentially long-term, complications?

We don't know.

Best estimates now are that about 60% will have long term lung damage.
About 17% will have long term heart damage.
Most will have abnormally high blood clotting in all organs.
About 5% will have neurocognitive and mental health problems.
About 20% of symptomatic patients are showing mental health problems similar to some other diseases that last at least a year, some for life.
About 40% of males have indicators of hormonal changes that could impact fertility later in life.
As much as 100% of people who had covid have long term liver damage that could have big impacts later in life.
An unknown but possibly significant amount of people could have long term brain damage ranging from minor to deadly effects.
A very small percentage of children have had a syndrome where 4-6 weeks after Covid the entire body starts to shut down. It's unknown if this will happen in more farther down the road or if it will go away in the few that have had it.
An increasing number of people who had Covid are now appearing to have a type of ADEM, which is an encephalytis with a 5% mortality rate, long recovery and long lasting impacts. The rates at which this is occuring is steadily increasing the farther removed people get from Covid recovery. It's a small percentage of people but given that it is increasing with time and could appear years after infection it is something worth watching.
Best guesses are that most that recover from Covid will suffer long term minor damage to the immune system including a loss of T-cells. On it's own this doesn't appear very signfiicant but for those with autoimmune problems it is potentially signficant.

In the grand scheme of things, all this may end up being minor. It could also end up being extremely severe. In the cases of SARS and MERS the moderate to severe long term lung damage in a very large percentage of survivors (35+%) should worry anyone who catches Covid since the numbers are thought to be even higher than SARS or MERS.

If I had to guess, most will never notice the difference. For children who like sports, there will almost certainly be a loss of lung function that impacts them. There will be rare severe long term complications and we'll probably see a wave of ensephalitis in children over the next decade. This is in line with the more optimistic views. I'm not willing to make that bet with my children's health and think it's insane to risk the health of a generation of children for what is ultimately a political hail mary.

We are so screwed...

There is no end in sight for this entire saga. There are literally millions of people like this among us.

I stopped watching after she said, "and it's unhealthy to wear a mask." Paging Darwin, clean up on aisle 3.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom