COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (10 Viewers)

Interesting and transparent read from Iowa State AD on why it is important that they have some type of football season

I found it more interesting that they stated its more than just safety vs revenue....then proceeded to explain how if football isn't played they lose a ton of revenue. I think these universities and the players are going to have to make hard decisions. Many schools are going to lose a lot because they do not have football generated the normal money they are use to getting in. They're going to have to cut a lot of programs, a lot of faculty, raise tuition etc. And the players are going to have to make the decision if they feel it is worth it for them to continue playing. Then you of course have to think about it from their perspective. What if they decide they don't want to play this year because they're worried about the virus. Are they going to have that held against them when they finally come back? Next year when its time to suit up again, is there going to be some sort of retaliation against those that refused to play the previous year?

Every time I see something like that, I get mad at our public health officials all over again.

Whatever chance we had to get this fractured country on board with masks went out the window when the first 6 weeks of public health advice actively downplayed wearing masks.

You can't just walk that one back and expect 300M people to comply when half of them don't trust anyone anyway.

Los Angeles public schools will not reopen.

Just to throw some numbers in.

Second largest in the nation, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) serves over 600,000 students in kindergarten through twelfth grade at over 1,000 schools. The District also has over 200 independently-operated public charter schools, authorized by the Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education.

Someone better at budgets than me will have to parse this (luckily most of humanity falls in that category), but it seems like he’s fudging/conflating ‘20 losses with ‘21 debts
They should have the cash on hand for this year, correct?

I doubt it. Their budget for the year assumed they would be taking in revenue during the fall that is about to evaporate.

I doubt it. Their budget for the year assumed they would be taking in revenue during the fall that is about to evaporate.
A major university sports program living hand to mouth does not seem accurate (and certainly not wise)
And salaries are certainly a concern
But it looked like scholarships and meals/treatment were the next big expenses and they’re probably not on the hook for that, correct?

Just to throw some numbers in.

Second largest in the nation, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) serves over 600,000 students in kindergarten through twelfth grade at over 1,000 schools. The District also has over 200 independently-operated public charter schools, authorized by the Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education.

This is huge in California. If LAUSD goes, then others in the immediate vicinity of LA will also. Then, with LA metro down, SDUSD will go also because if one does so will the other. Every other county will then be looking at CDE opening policy and finding state/county/local benchmarks for opening aren’t met, and won’t be for a while, and having to justify why they don’t.

A major university sports program living hand to mouth does not seem accurate (and certainly not wise)
And salaries are certainly a concern
But it looked like scholarships and meals/treatment were the next big expenses and they’re probably not on the hook for that, correct?

I am assuming they have some cash reserves but not 100% of their budgeted revenue on hand, but I don't know for sure. It says they spend $86M/year and are looking at a shortfall of $40M, so its not really hand to mouth, its just a massive hit to their expected revenue.

Most schools are honoring their scholarships even if no sports season (or if they've ended the team entirely) - which is both the moral and smart thing to do, so I am not sure how much of all that can realistically be saved.

We can only hope.

San Diego has also announced they aren't reopening. Hopefully this is the start of a trend.

I read that the hospital situation in San Diego county is dire.

But I just don't see the governors in places like Florida, Texas, South Carolina, etc. giving much of a crap about what schools in California do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom