COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (13 Viewers)

Ok but really? I hate to be that person, but I’m somewhat doubting that they used all precautions consistently. I’ve been around enough to see people wear masks around those who are strangers, but don’t consistently wear it around people they know. You have 3 teachers, who certainly know each other together for that long in a room together I have a hard time believing they did it.

Alright, lets say for the sake of the discussion that these people are telling outright lies and they didn't follow procedures fully. This still doesn't change the argument that its not safe to go back to school. I'm not at a huge school by any means, but even if we split it in half, there are still several hundred people a day in the building. Are they all going to be able to (willingly or not) follow guidelines 100% of the time? Doubtful.

We need to be talking about what is realistic and what isn't with school openings. I keep hearing this theory of children not getting sick, or as sick, when they get Covid. So are we forgetting that about 10-15% of the population in a school isn't a child?

Part of the problem is that there seems to be a fixation on numbers and percentages these days. Many appear not to understand the meaning of those numbers. 1 out of every 100 seems to be a more concrete way of expressing the actual significance of 1%. And yet there is a certain segment of the population that thinks that it's worth sacrificing 1 out of every 100 people rather than taking a minuscule step like wearing a mask and adhering to sensible guidelines.

Apparently the leaders of Livingston Parish want to go back to the Stay at Home Order. Denham Springs is always going to Denham Springs.

Part of the problem is that there seems to be a fixation on numbers and percentages these days. Many appear not to understand the meaning of those numbers. 1 out of every 100 seems to be a more concrete way of expressing the actual significance of 1%. And yet there is a certain segment of the population that thinks that it's worth sacrificing 1 out of every 100 people rather than taking a minuscule step like wearing a mask and adhering to sensible guidelines.

My favorite analogy (and I've probably already said it) is that if you had a bowl of 100 skittles and you knew one was guaranteed to kill you, would you still eat a skittle?

You know, this is kind of off topic, but the system in place has a lot to do with this. My wife, who was a substitute teacher for a year after college and has a law degree wanted to change careers and become a full time teacher a few years ago. But nobody would even interview her or even discuss a job with her. It's so strange. I get that ideally you want people with education degrees teaching, but she has a B.A. in English and a law degree. She has the education to teach either English, Civics, and maybe English. She just needs some training in the actually mechanics of teaching. But nobody would give her a chance for almost a year. After a year, she just gave up.

I mean, I even thought about doing the same thing after my daughter is out of the house and through college, but given her experiences, it doesn't appear possible.

I have a bachelor's degree in the engineering tech field. I have never worked in that field and have been working for the last decade in equipment rental management. Now that I'm older and wiser I realize that neither the field of my degree or the field I work in now is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I feel teaching is something I would have a passion for and I'd be good at but it would require me to be certified. I understand the push to have certified teachers but I just feel like school systems are missing out on great teachers who would choose the profession because they have a passion for it and also not only have the skills to teach certain subjects but also have "real world" life experiences that can be great in mentoring young people. Just my opinion of course.

Alright, lets say for the sake of the discussion that these people are telling outright lies and they didn't follow procedures fully. This still doesn't change the argument that its not safe to go back to school. I'm not at a huge school by any means, but even if we split it in half, there are still several hundred people a day in the building. Are they all going to be able to (willingly or not) follow guidelines 100% of the time? Doubtful.

We need to be talking about what is realistic and what isn't with school openings. I keep hearing this theory of children not getting sick, or as sick, when they get Covid. So are we forgetting that about 10-15% of the population in a school isn't a child?
I lean towards your level of caution regarding schools, but these stories are important.

The only details that they followed the mask and sanitizer protocol is from the School, not any individuals. They also don't really spend any time in the article talking about how they interacted in or outside the classroom. They mention she was sick in early June, and one other woman just tested positive again.. either she's getting a second round, or she's still fighting off the first one.

There is nothing in the article saying they likely got it from each other. They really just don't talk about it at all.

Apparently the leaders of Livingston Parish want to go back to the Stay at Home Order. Denham Springs is always going to Denham Springs.

It's not just Livingston......buttttttttttttt.....issuing a mask mandate without issuing fines is a waste of time. Why do most people wear seat belts? They want to stay safe in a crash and they want to avoid a ticket for not wearing one. If we said, "We have a seat belt mandate in effect now because it will help protect you, but if you don't wear one, we will not fine or cite you." you think as many people would wear them?

You know, this is kind of off topic, but the system in place has a lot to do with this. My wife, who was a substitute teacher for a year after college and has a law degree wanted to change careers and become a full time teacher a few years ago. But nobody would even interview her or even discuss a job with her. It's so strange. I get that ideally you want people with education degrees teaching, but she has a B.A. in English and a law degree. She has the education to teach either English, Civics, and maybe English. She just needs some training in the actually mechanics of teaching. But nobody would give her a chance for almost a year. After a year, she just gave up.

I mean, I even thought about doing the same thing after my daughter is out of the house and through college, but given her experiences, it doesn't appear possible.

Which is, in fact, ridiculous because what you really want are subject matter experts doing the teaching. An education degree doesn't mean you know your subject at all.

I lean towards your level of caution regarding schools, but these stories are important.

The only details that they followed the mask and sanitizer protocol is from the School, not any individuals. They also don't really spend any time in the article talking about how they interacted in or outside the classroom. They mention she was sick in early June, and one other woman just tested positive again.. either she's getting a second round, or she's still fighting off the first one.

There is nothing in the article saying they likely got it from each other. They really just don't talk about it at all.

Interesting you note that about re-infection. It appears that there is growing evidence that re-infection is fairly common:

Which is, in fact, ridiculous because what you really want are subject matter experts doing the teaching. An education degree doesn't mean you know your subject at all.

I agree. It just seems odd that they won't let people with the education and real world experience to teach subjects teach them when they actually have the motivation to do it.

And, I mean, if lawyers don't know how to do anything else, they certainly know how to research topics and speak about them authoritatively to large groups of people. You don't want a lawyer teaching math, but civics, english, history? The seem natural fits. And, I know many who would really like the opportunity to do something worthwhile with their lives. And people like engineers can certainly teach math and the sciences. And IT professionals would be ideal to teach those subjects.

It's not just Livingston......buttttttttttttt.....issuing a mask mandate without issuing fines is a waste of time. Why do most people wear seat belts? They want to stay safe in a crash and they want to avoid a ticket for not wearing one. If we said, "We have a seat belt mandate in effect now because it will help protect you, but if you don't wear one, we will not fine or cite you." you think as many people would wear them?

I'm sure other Parishes will refuse to enforce the rule too and even if the governments don't refuse, people won't comply without fines to back it up anyway. It's just that Livingston is the first place that I have seen a confirmed report that the government of the Parish is refusing to enforce a lawful order from the Governor.

What else they are doing is using statistics based on current/past safety guidelines as proof that the situation isn't as bad as it seems. How is it fair to use results from social distancing measures we have/had in place as proof against the measures? If we didn't have the measures in place, that number would be a whole lot higher than 1%. It's circular reasoning.

As we were told in the beginning by Dr. Fauci and his crew - "If these guidelines are successful, it'll make many believe that we never needed them to begin with." Boy were they correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom