COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (14 Viewers)

As he explained to the facility manager a patient overheard and marched over and yelled at him "Vaccines!?! You're the devil and you will burn in hell!"
The ignorance of people would be shocking if I hadn't already been on this planet for 43 years.

You are more likely to have "flu-like symptoms" following your first dose if you have antibodies from a previous COVID infection. The less time since your infection, the more antibodies you have and the bigger potential for symptoms following your first shot. The second dose will not likely produce as big a response and you may not experience any symptoms besides arm soreness and some fatigue.

In any case, the temporary symptoms are a small price to pay for immunity. If you have the opportunity to get the vaccine, you should get it.

This is true...99+% of the time. There is a small percentage of the population that does poorly from the first vaccine...I personally wouldn’t get the booster if I fit into that category. My wife was in that category...missed 4 days of work after the first vaccine incredibly sick...probably more risk than reward for her to get the booster. So she won’t be getting the booster. The immunization rate from a single injection isn’t bad...there are some reports that it’s between 70-90%, comparable to 95% or so from the booster.

I do know of someone who unfortunately died from the booster. It’s incredibly rare and shouldn’t be a deterrent from getting vaccinated, but it’s not completely benign (nor is anything in medicine) and you do have to use some level of reason when deciding whether any medical intervention is worth the risks.

This is true...99+% of the time. There is a small percentage of the population that does poorly from the first vaccine...I personally wouldn’t get the booster if I fit into that category. My wife was in that category...missed 4 days of work after the first vaccine incredibly sick...probably more risk than reward for her to get the booster. So she won’t be getting the booster. The immunization rate from a single injection isn’t bad...there are some reports that it’s between 70-90%, comparable to 95% or so from the booster.

I do know of someone who unfortunately died from the booster. It’s incredibly rare and shouldn’t be a deterrent from getting vaccinated, but it’s not completely benign (nor is anything in medicine) and you do have to use some level of reason when deciding whether any medical intervention is worth the risks.
When posting something as serious as this, you should weigh the risks/benefits of doing so. Worldwide, there has not been evidence of a DIRECT link between the vaccine and death. Anyone administering the vaccine should be ready and capable of handling anaphylactic response. Other than that, deaths are a result of a COVID infection or some other condition (many of these vaccines are administered to the most vulnerable populations, who can die at any time due to a myriad of comorbidities unrelated to the vaccine).
If what you're saying is indeed true, it needs to be something that is being studied by the CDC, WHO, vaccine manufacturers, etc., not a message board that may give someone on the fence an unnecessary pause about getting a safe and effective vaccine that will protect them against serious illness and death associated with a potential COVID infection.

When posting something as serious as this, you should weigh the risks/benefits of doing so. Worldwide, there has not been evidence of a DIRECT link between the vaccine and death. Anyone administering the vaccine should be ready and capable of handling anaphylactic response. Other than that, deaths are a result of a COVID infection or some other condition (many of these vaccines are administered to the most vulnerable populations, who can die at any time due to a myriad of comorbidities unrelated to the vaccine).
If what you're saying is indeed true, it needs to be something that is being studied by the CDC, WHO, vaccine manufacturers, etc., not a message board that may give someone on the fence an unnecessary pause about getting a safe and effective vaccine that will protect them against serious illness and death associated with a potential COVID infection.

I'm a physician. I considered it...I posted it. Anyone who thinks that a vaccine is not going to result in a single death when administered to millions of people are not very familiar with the realities of what we do. There is ALWAYS a risk. People should be educated and informed about risks. I personally think that the vaccine is a significant net positive. But the booster is NOT for everyone...and forcing it upon people who get a bad response from the first vaccine (even it if is NOT anaphylaxis) is bad medicine in my opinion.

I'd honestly be very surprised if there is a booster for EVERYONE this time next year. Right now we don't know who needs the booster, and who does poorly from the booster. I'd imagine that next year we will have much more data to draw those conclusions. And it is very important...from a health and financial perspective. Right now, we are trying to as quickly as possible achieve herd immunity, and that means giving the booster to the masses to try to get that extra 5-10% immunity in the general population in the midst of a pandemic. But we DO NOT have all of the answers right now. Assuming that we do is incredibly naïve.

I'm a physician. I considered it...I posted it. Anyone who thinks that a vaccine is not going to result in a single death when administered to millions of people are not very familiar with the realities of what we do. There is ALWAYS a risk. People should be educated and informed about risks. I personally think that the vaccine is a significant net positive. But the booster is NOT for everyone...and forcing it upon people who get a bad response from the first vaccine (even it if is NOT anaphylaxis) is bad medicine in my opinion.

I'd honestly be very surprised if there is a booster for EVERYONE this time next year. Right now we don't know who needs the booster, and who does poorly from the booster. I'd imagine that next year we will have much more data to draw those conclusions. And it is very important...from a health and financial perspective. Right now, we are trying to as quickly as possible achieve herd immunity, and that means giving the booster to the masses to try to get that extra 5-10% immunity in the general population in the midst of a pandemic. But we DO NOT have all of the answers right now. Assuming that we do is incredibly naïve.
That's reasonable.

My wife was just down for like a day with light fever and fatigue and the arm pain. So, she got the booster, knowing she'd feel the same. If she had a much much stronger negative reaction, I'd have told her to talk to her doctor.

Me, my arm hurt for a day or two. I had allergies, so hard to tell if that was that, or from the vaccine. So, I'm totally going in for round 2. No risk to me. (...so far)

If I felt like I was going to die, or have a real negative reaction.. I'd be done.

That's reasonable.

My wife was just down for like a day with light fever and fatigue and the arm pain. So, she got the booster, knowing she'd feel the same. If she had a much much stronger negative reaction, I'd have told her to talk to her doctor.

Me, my arm hurt for a day or two. I had allergies, so hard to tell if that was that, or from the vaccine. So, I'm totally going in for round 2. No risk to me. (...so far)

If I felt like I was going to die, or have a real negative reaction.. I'd be done.

This is incredibly common. I had arm soreness for the first...I felt like dog crud for about 24 hours after the booster. Do I regret getting the booster? Absolutely not. It was the right thing to do. This is the case for 99+% of the population.

But when someone is on the verge of hospital admission from the first vaccine...there is no way that I can with good conscience recommend a booster for that same patient. The booster is typically at least slightly worse than the first. At some point we have to take the vaccine fanboy hat off and make appropriate logical decisions that are in the best interest of the individual. Just because there are illogical, crazy antivax people out there doesn't mean that we have to provide the polar opposite extreme opinion that vaccines are completely harmless. That's fiction.

There is NO way that you can know with certainty that said individual died from a COVID booster vaccine. Therefore there's no reason to make that statement, especially coming from a physician that people on here listen to and respect. We don't need to hide the risks or be vaccine fanboys to encourage the general population to receive a vaccine that provides protection against a potentially deadly infection.

but it’s not completely benign (nor is anything in medicine) and you do have to use some level of reason when deciding whether any medical intervention is worth the risks.
It reminds me of all those commercials you see on TV for different drugs where you fix one problem, but you run the risk of 10 to 20 different side effects. When it takes the narrator longer to list the possible side effects than it does to describe what it fixes, I'd start to question if I wanted to take it. :covri:

This is incredibly common. I had arm soreness for the first...I felt like dog crud for about 24 hours after the booster. Do I regret getting the booster? Absolutely not. It was the right thing to do. This is the case for 99+% of the population.

But when someone is on the verge of hospital admission from the first vaccine...there is no way that I can with good conscience recommend a booster for that same patient. The booster is typically at least slightly worse than the first. At some point we have to take the vaccine fanboy hat off and make appropriate logical decisions that are in the best interest of the individual. Just because there are illogical, crazy antivax people out there doesn't mean that we have to provide the polar opposite extreme opinion that vaccines are completely harmless. That's fiction.

I think everything you're saying is totally logical and well-informed and I don't take issue with a word of it but I'm just trying to understand the context (the point). Is it that you're saying that the idea that everyone (universal) should get the vaccine is misplaced? There is no mandate to get it (not in the US at least) so is it the social idea that (some) may have that everyone needs it?

I don't think its controversial at all that there are legitimate, medically-based reasons why not everyone should get it. Or for those who react to the first injection shouldn't have the booster. That's certainly not the same thing as some general anti-vax posture.

Today 3-9 -2021 is the one year anniversary of the first covid case reported in Orleans Parrish. I heard this from WWL on the way home from work

Today 3-9 -2021 is the one year anniversary of the first covid case reported in Orleans Parrish. I heard this from WWL on the way home from work
I remember when this was all going down on WWL radio's coverage last March.

One thing that kept making me nuts back then was how they were hyping up "No cases in New Orleans ... No cases in New Orleans!" back in early March. When Jefferson Parish started identifying cases, New Orleans was acting like it had some magic COVID wall around it. That foolishness didn't last long.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom