COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (15 Viewers)

I remember when this was all going down on WWL radio's coverage last March.

One thing that kept making me nuts back then was how they were hyping up "No cases in New Orleans ... No cases in New Orleans!" back in early March. When Jefferson Parish started identifying cases, New Orleans was acting like it had some magic COVID wall around it. That foolishness didn't last long.

Lots of interesting quotes from Dr Avegno from 1 year ago - like "don't worry about covid, worry about the flu" and "you do not need a mask!"

Oh sh.... I'm eligible now? My BMI is 34.4

o_O
I'm not sure if I qualify or not. I've got high blood pressure, but it's well controlled with medicine. I'd guess that still counts tho as there's no stipulation there about it.

:unsure:

Oh sh.... I'm eligible now? My BMI is 34.4
I would bet money that at this point, a strong majority of Louisiana adults are eligible.

You don't need to be visibly obese, even ... just have a BMI over 25. IMHO, that's not particularly large.

I'm not sure if I qualify or not. I've got high blood pressure, but it's well controlled with medicine. I'd guess that still counts tho as there's no stipulation there about it.

:unsure:
Absolutely qualifies -- no question about it. Controlled vs. uncontrolled makes no difference.

Today 3-9 -2021 is the one year anniversary of the first covid case reported in Orleans Parrish. I heard this from WWL on the way home from work
Yep and by the end of that week, schools were shut down. Hard to believe that was a year ago now.

I just did my BMI and I'm .4 over the 25 so can count it. Gonna have to look up where to get one now.
While I was typing my posts, I got a pop up from my healthcare app saying I could schedule. Scheduled and eChecked for the appt already.

Very convenient.

I think everything you're saying is totally logical and well-informed and I don't take issue with a word of it but I'm just trying to understand the context (the point). Is it that you're saying that the idea that everyone (universal) should get the vaccine is misplaced? There is no mandate to get it (not in the US at least) so is it the social idea that (some) may have that everyone needs it?

I don't think its controversial at all that there are legitimate, medically-based reasons why not everyone should get it. Or for those who react to the first injection shouldn't have the booster. That's certainly not the same thing as some general anti-vax posture.

The context was a response to this quote: " Anyone administering the vaccine should be ready and capable of handling anaphylactic response. Other than that, deaths are a result of a COVID infection or some other condition (many of these vaccines are administered to the most vulnerable populations, who can die at any time due to a myriad of comorbidities unrelated to the vaccine). "

It implied that anaphylaxis is the only risk of death from the COVID vaccine. That is very unlikely untrue.

If someone gets COVID and die of a seemingly unrelated cause many are VERY willing to say that COVID had some role in that death. And perhaps they are right. But many of the same exact people are unwilling to say the same when someone dies from thrombocytopenia or febrile seizures after the the COVID vaccine. "Oh, they would have died anyway, it's unrelated, or it was due to COVID." I don't think that you can play both sides of the aisle in that way. Absolutely this vaccine is going to result in a small number of deaths. Anyone who's had their butt's kicked by this vaccine as a HEALTHY person can easily deduce that someone could get really sick from the vaccine. There WILL be deaths associated to this vaccine, and they aren't just anaphylactic reactions. To argue the opposite defies logic, and frankly stands in the way of my understanding of how the human body works.

But why do I bother? Truth. That's the point.

I'm not an antivax person. I think that 100% of the population should get the first vaccine. I think that well over 99% of the population should get the booster (at least this round anyway). But I do not think that everyone should get the booster. If you get REALLY sick from the first vaccine, I think that you should make a personal decision of whether or not it is worth it to you. That's what I would recommend to my loved ones. But for some reason, some will consider that heresy.

This is incredibly common. I had arm soreness for the first...I felt like dog crud for about 24 hours after the booster. Do I regret getting the booster? Absolutely not. It was the right thing to do. This is the case for 99+% of the population.

But when someone is on the verge of hospital admission from the first vaccine...there is no way that I can with good conscience recommend a booster for that same patient. The booster is typically at least slightly worse than the first. At some point we have to take the vaccine fanboy hat off and make appropriate logical decisions that are in the best interest of the individual. Just because there are illogical, crazy antivax people out there doesn't mean that we have to provide the polar opposite extreme opinion that vaccines are completely harmless. That's fiction.

Great comment. The booster shot can really knock somebody down hard. It kicks the immune system into HIGH gear, and for some people, that is not a good thing.

I would bet money that at this point, a strong majority of Louisiana adults are eligible.

You don't need to be visibly obese, even ... just have a BMI over 25. IMHO, that's not particularly large.
Just eat a few pop tarts....done. BMI over 25. Get the shot. ANYBODY who even thinks they might fit a category, go get the shot!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom