COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

I'm seeing this on TV and wondering what the hell is wrong with people. I just don't get it.

I saw pictures of the French Quarter this weekend and it was packed. Hopefully this does not lead to a surge in New Orleans. We have COVID on the ropes and I don't want to fall back into having all the restaurants and bars closed. It's such a hard balancing act to let people make money, but avoid getting an outbreak.

Anecdotally, I am seeing way more out of state license plates on my morning commute that I have seen since the COVID restrictions started. Lots of Mississippi, Texas, and Florida plates. I barely saw an out of state plate from March of last year until Mardi Gras. But, about a week after Mardi Gras, I started seeing 4 or 5 out of states plates on my commute and that number seems to be pretty steady or increasing every day. Lets hope those people are being safe and the bars and restaurants are making them be safe.

I saw pictures of the French Quarter this weekend and it was packed. Hopefully this does not lead to a surge in New Orleans. We have COVID on the ropes and I don't want to fall back into having all the restaurants and bars closed. It's such a hard balancing act to let people make money, but avoid getting an outbreak.

Anecdotally, I am seeing way more out of state license plates on my morning commute that I have seen since the COVID restrictions started. Lots of Mississippi, Texas, and Florida plates. I barely saw an out of state plate from March of last year until Mardi Gras. But, about a week after Mardi Gras, I started seeing 4 or 5 out of states plates on my commute and that number seems to be pretty steady or increasing every day. Lets hope those people are being safe and the bars and restaurants are making them be safe.

The other thing is there are variants out there, and I'm just a bit worried that we're gonna get a variant that is resistant to the vaccines and then we'll be Brazil. I really hope not. But if too many people are acting like fools...

Fwiw, I still haven't left my house except for groceries and miscellaneous errands. We've had just one of our friends over or visited. And she got vaccinated last week. Even after we get vaccinated, we're not gonna change our routine a whole lot until the virus is largely eradicated.

Fwiw, I still haven't left my house except for groceries and miscellaneous errands. We've had just one of our friends over or visited. And she got vaccinated last week. Even after we get vaccinated, we're not gonna change our routine a whole lot until the virus is largely eradicated.

I get cabin fever just reading this. :)

Nothing to do with the State or City... It's simply young, immature, selfish, teens and 20-somethings that are tired of being locked up, are bored to death, and know they have nearly a zero percent chance of dying from the virus....

I said a month ago - the Vaccine needed to go into every willing arm before this started happening...

These are the type of people that going to ignore rules and mass-spread this again (and can do so with near self-impunity)... not older people that know they are at risk, not the elderly, not sick people with existing conditions, not doctors, and not school children...

As I said before... the time for selective vax is over... every willing arm gets a shot... Hell, set up vax stations at the beach - on college campus - in night clubs - gentlemen's clubs - amusement parks... let's kill this thing.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the State or City... It's simply young, immature, selfish, teens and 20-somethings that are tired of being locked up, are bored to death, and know they have nearly a zero percent chance of dying from the virus....

I said a month ago - the Vaccine needed to go into every willing arm before this started happening...

These are the type of people that going to ignore rules and mass-spread this again (and can do so with near self-impunity)... not older people that know they are at risk, not the elderly, not sick people with existing conditions, not doctors, and not school children...

As I said before... the time for selective vax is over... every willing arm gets a shot... Hell, set up vax stations at the beach - on college campus - in night clubs - gentlemen's clubs - amusement parks... let's kill this thing.

I agree - the exquisitely crafted 'tiers' no longer make sense, if they ever did (beyond giving it to frontline health workers first). My daughter goes to college in an East Coast state that will currently provide shots to those living in congregate living situations defined as "migrant work camps, correctional facilities and homeless shelters" but not college dorms. So the kids just keep spreading it to each other....

interesting read on the potential origin of the virus and how media/politics is getting in the way of asking all the right questions.

Did the coronavirus leak from a lab? These scientists say we shouldn’t rule it out.
For many scientists, challenging the idea that SARS-CoV-2 has natural origins is seen as career suicide. But a vocal few say it shouldn't be disregarded or lumped in with conspiracy theories.
David Relman, a microbiologist at Stanford University, says a lab leak was never the subject of a “fair and dispassionate discussion of the facts as we know them.” Instead, tempers soon began to flare as those calling for a closer look at possible lab origins were dismissed as conspiracy theorists spouting misinformation. Election-year politics and growing Sinophobic sentiments only added to the tensions. Attacks on Asian-Americans had been escalating since the pandemic began, and with then-president Trump fuming about a “Chinese virus,” many scientists and reporters became “cautious about saying anything that might justify the rhetoric of his administration,” says Jamie Metzl, a senior fellow at the Washington, DC–based Atlantic Council, an international affairs think tank.

It could have been career suicide for scientists to voice suspicions about a possible lab leak, says Metzl, especially when there was already a long history of viral disease outbreaks spilling over from nature. Alina Chan, a postdoctoral fellow specializing in gene therapy and cell engineering at the Broad Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, echoes that view. Chan says the risk of challenging the orthodoxy that SARS-CoV-2 has natural origins—an entirely plausible hypothesis, she maintains—is greatest for established scientists in infectious disease with supervisory roles and staffs to support. She herself has spent much of the last year calling for more scrutiny of a potential lab leak, claiming that as a postdoc, she has less to lose.

The other thing is there are variants out there, and I'm just a bit worried that we're gonna get a variant that is resistant to the vaccines and then we'll be Brazil. I really hope not. But if too many people are acting like fools...
I think the risk of this happening is being sensationalized in the popular media. Scientists hedge by nature, and whenever they won't categorically rule something out or whenever they express concern ... the media runs with that as "something bad is for sure gonna happen!"

I think the risk of this happening is being sensationalized in the popular media. Scientists hedge by nature, and whenever they won't categorically rule something out or whenever they express concern ... the media runs with that as "something bad is for sure gonna happen!"

Well, I somewhat agree. Sensationalist on the part of the media? Sure. We will get a variant for sure? Maybe, I don't know. But, I do think just putting heads in the sand and ignoring the possibility isn't the right answer either. Not saying that's you, but more towards the reckless idiots out there.

I do think being careless and allowing for more spread could possibly lead to a greater likelihood that it could happen. The odds may be small, but greater than it otherwise would be if we took greater precautions.

Last edited:
If you're like the norm, at most, you might be just taking a rest day the day after you get the shot.

Your shoulder will feel like you strained it for like a day and change, but there is a pain max you can push through, unlike a strain.
Thanks for the info! I am scheduled to get the shot @ 8:30 tomorrow morning. Somewhat nervous. I've read about allergic reactions and such to the vaccine. Seems rare, but when it comes to this kind of thing- I am a worst-case scenario guy, lol.

Thanks for the info! I am scheduled to get the shot @ 8:30 tomorrow morning. Somewhat nervous. I've read about allergic reactions and such to the vaccine. Seems rare, but when it comes to this kind of thing- I am a worst-case scenario guy, lol.

There is a 15 minute wait period after you receive the vaccine. Medical staff are readily available if an allergic reaction occurs. You'll be fine. I read an article weeks ago that said 3 times as many people are allergic to housecat dander than these vaccines.

interesting read on the potential origin of the virus and how media/politics is getting in the way of asking all the right questions.

Maybe. I honestly think it doesn't really matter all that much. If it was spilled over from a lab China would cover it up to the point nobody will ever know so it really doesn't change anything. Even if we do find out it was spillover from a lab and not nature it again, doesn't change all that much. The focus then would turn out to be about labs when it really should be about nature. Everything I'm reading and seeing is the next pandemic is likely a lot closer than we think. Between shrinking rainforests in Amazon, African bush meat, American animal farms, human encroachment to wildlife, climate change, etc it probably wont be more than a decade or two before we are dealing with this again. The one positive is Trump's mishandling is going to give incintives to politicians to not be a dumbarse on the next one and choose science over conspiracy and brainwashing, at least I hope. Hopefully we don't find out.

I could also see a situation where finding out in came from a Chinese lab could put us in a war that nobody wants. Would be a ton of political pressure to do something stupid to a Chinese Regime I think would currently invite it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom