COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

Note the vast difference in all age groups between covid related deaths and influenza. Some may be comingled with pneumonia.

Screenshot_20210429-070729_Samsung Internet.jpg

This was highlighted in the NYT piece I posted late last week. It basically makes the point that as we get to a stage where the primary risk of infection is to children, the mitigation effort may look different - mainly because this virus seems to have such dramatically mild effects on children.

This was highlighted in the NYT piece I posted late last week. It basically makes the point that as we get to a stage where the primary risk of infection is to children, the mitigation effort may look different - mainly because this virus seems to have such dramatically mild effects on children.

has there been any research into the reason for the difference between kids and adults?

i remember reading about the possibility of the "immaturity" of a childs immune system, but dont recall any recent articles about studies showing if there has been additional research.

It sounds easy and it probably is that due to the "newness " of a childs immune system and being able to recognize just about anything, it starts to work immediately on COVID whereas adult immune systems are "programmed" over decades to react to things it has seen before, so response to a novel virus is not as quick.

has there been any research into the reason for the difference between kids and adults?

i remember reading about the possibility of the "immaturity" of a childs immune system, but dont recall any recent articles about studies showing if there has been additional research.

It sounds easy and it probably is that due to the "newness " of a childs immune system and being able to recognize just about anything, it starts to work immediately on COVID whereas adult immune systems are "programmed" over decades to react to things it has seen before, so response to a novel virus is not as quick.

This appears to be a review of the different theories. It is published December 2020 after revision from a July 2020 draft, so not sure how up to date it is.

We may need to take a booster shot for the new variants. I'll do so if needed. We are still learning

We may need to take a booster shot for the new variants. I'll do so if needed. We are still learning

Indeed, variants are likely to be the next phase of the pandemic - a phase that is already well underway. So far, research suggests that existing vaccines protect well against the dominant variant B.1.1.7. So in the race between vaccine and variant dominance, B.1.1.7 doesn't appear to be poised to break vaccine protection. Of course people refusing it in large numbers, or the inability to deploy vaccine to outbreak locations will challenge those dynamics.

I think we're still figuring out if P.1 (Brazil) is protected by current vaccine. P.1 is in full spread in parts of Canada, which means that if P.1 becomes dominant over B.1.1.7, the question of vaccine protection for P.1 will become more immediate.

Early research suggests that existing vaccine will provide meaningful (though possibly not as strong) protection from P.1 and B.1.351 (South Africa) - so even if not as strong it's still far better. Moderna has already said it expects to have a variant booster by November.

Of course new, more worrisome variants can always emerge and they tend to emerge from uncontrolled outbreak situations - which is why it's not enough for the first world to get vaccinated and leave the rest of the world to fend for themselves. India already has a local variant (B.1.617) that is growing in its share of infection.

I had a visit with a new client out in Eastern CO this week. They apologized for their extreme Covid precautions as the town is experiencing an outbreak. Two hospital employees post 2nd vaccination have Covid, though they stated that their illness is not horrible. One other hospital employee caught it 5 days post shot 1, and they said that employee got really ill. They are thinking a mutated strain is in the community.

Denver airport, Holy Schnitzels! Pre-pandemic crowd here, shoulder to shoulder, folks on top of each other. Denver Covid code obviously doesn’t apply here, but does everywhere else, I was fussed at standing outside at an outdoor bar, full sun light 10 yards from the nearest human being for not having a mask, while the other patrons who had a beer in hand were okay, I was still waiting for mine, all by my lonesome self.

I had a visit with a new client out in Eastern CO this week. They apologized for their extreme Covid precautions as the town is experiencing an outbreak. Two hospital employees post 2nd vaccination have Covid, though they stated that their illness is not horrible. One other hospital employee caught it 5 days post shot 1, and they said that employee got really ill. They are thinking a mutated strain is in the community.

Denver airport, Holy Schnitzels! Pre-pandemic crowd here, shoulder to shoulder, folks on top of each other. Denver Covid code obviously doesn’t apply here, but does everywhere else, I was fussed at standing outside at an outdoor bar, full sun light 10 yards from the nearest human being for not having a mask, while the other patrons who had a beer in hand were okay, I was still waiting for mine, all by my lonesome self.

ill be passing thru there late may - but ill be 4 weeks post #2 Pfizer...

Indeed, variants are likely to be the next phase of the pandemic - a phase that is already well underway. So far, research suggests that existing vaccines protect well against the dominant variant B.1.1.7. So in the race between vaccine and variant dominance, B.1.1.7 doesn't appear to be poised to break vaccine protection. Of course people refusing it in large numbers, or the inability to deploy vaccine to outbreak locations will challenge those dynamics.

I think we're still figuring out if P.1 (Brazil) is protected by current vaccine. P.1 is in full spread in parts of Canada, which means that if P.1 becomes dominant over B.1.1.7, the question of vaccine protection for P.1 will become more immediate.

Early research suggests that existing vaccine will provide meaningful (though possibly not as strong) protection from P.1 and B.1.351 (South Africa) - so even if not as strong it's still far better. Moderna has already said it expects to have a variant booster by November.

Of course new, more worrisome variants can always emerge and they tend to emerge from uncontrolled outbreak situations - which is why it's not enough for the first world to get vaccinated and leave the rest of the world to fend for themselves. India already has a local variant (B.1.617) that is growing in its share of infection.

Yep. I think the US case load is about to plummet and be limited to very isolated hot spots around the country.

From that point, it's going to be all about watching for a vaccine busting variants to emerge. With the actual case numbers in Brazil and India far worse than advertised, it's entirely possible a new variant emerges that turns everything upside down. For now though, I think Americans see a near full return to normal in another month. The biggest threat to the USA right now is to the economy if China starts heading down a bad path. As of today, they are less than 10% vaccinated with a vaccine that is not very good and case loads are blowing up in neighboring countries.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone frequented a Business yet that dropped their mask requirement in Louisiana yet? So far, every place I've been, still have it required. Not that I mind, just curious.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone frequented a Business yet that dropped their mask requirement in Louisiana yet? So far, every place I've been, still have it required. Not that I mind, just curious.

Yes. Including my office. Not all that keen on it ( the decision to drop requirement ), since out of 8 employees at my location, im the ONLY one vaccinated. So whatever. I dont get paid to make decisions.

Everywhere around here requires a mask. And I don't think that's going away, at least not for a few more months.

Things are absolutely ridiculous up here. My mental health has been a mess - I've been a ball of stress and anger for months and there are times when I hardly recognize myself. It's part of the reason I haven't been around - because, to be honest, I haven't been fun to be around.

Our provincial government is a total mess. We are more than a year into this, and our ICUs have never been fuller. The r factor is at nearly its highest. We are breaking records for cases. The best resource for locating vaccines is a group of volunteers on Twitter. We have no leadership.

The first few months of the school year were fine. We were in class every day, but it was draining because we had to put in 5-6 hours a day, every day or every other day, with the same students because of the scheduling issues. Health and safety precautions were overwhelming. But then, the semester break hit and we didn't return to in person instruction for a couple of weeks and then we did WHILE CASES WERE SKYROCKETING.

Going into work every day was anxiety-ridden. My wife is, as I've mentioned before, immune-compromised and I've been on pins and needles about her health. She was vaccinated last week, with her Pfizer shot, and that was a relief. I have vaccination appointment this weekend, so that will also be a relief.

But our poor factory workers in nearby areas of the city - Brampton and Scarborough - which are home to poorer people of color are being totally neglected. A 55-year old father caught it at his work place and brought it home, and his 13-year old daughter caught it, and died.

Because our government hasn't put any protections in place for paid sick leave (though they enjoy it themselves... the Premier is currently at home for a 14-day quarantine while being paid his salary) nor enough testing nor enough ppe nor enough measures to punish businesses, and it goes on and on.

We were told today to expect a similar situation in September when the Fall term resumes.

That's pathetic.

I'm so angry and heartbroken and defeated.

From the end of January to the beginning of March, we had 5 rounds of tests in this house because I was a close contact or my oldest daughter was (twice) or my son was (once) or my youngest was symptomatic. None of us tested positive at any point, thankfully. But our home has been turned upside down, inverted inside-out.

And we are better off than probably 2/3 to 3/4 of other people in the province.

I'm just so tired of this. We are so busy playing party politics up here, that people are getting put through the woodchipper each day and the sickness counts and death tolls don't seem to matter to anyone that actually has any power. We have populist politicos in charge who only care about their power and re-election abilities.

It's disgusting.

It's not often where I look at the US and think, "Hey, there goes a country better off politically than Canada or Ontario."

But this is - and has been for ($*^%&% months - one of those times.

Things are absolutely ridiculous up here. My mental health has been a mess - I've been a ball of stress and anger for months and there are times when I hardly recognize myself. It's part of the reason I haven't been around - because, to be honest, I haven't been fun to be around.

Our provincial government is a total mess. We are more than a year into this, and our ICUs have never been fuller. The r factor is at nearly its highest. We are breaking records for cases. The best resource for locating vaccines is a group of volunteers on Twitter. We have no leadership.

The first few months of the school year were fine. We were in class every day, but it was draining because we had to put in 5-6 hours a day, every day or every other day, with the same students because of the scheduling issues. Health and safety precautions were overwhelming. But then, the semester break hit and we didn't return to in person instruction for a couple of weeks and then we did WHILE CASES WERE SKYROCKETING.

Going into work every day was anxiety-ridden. My wife is, as I've mentioned before, immune-compromised and I've been on pins and needles about her health. She was vaccinated last week, with her Pfizer shot, and that was a relief. I have vaccination appointment this weekend, so that will also be a relief.

But our poor factory workers in nearby areas of the city - Brampton and Scarborough - which are home to poorer people of color are being totally neglected. A 55-year old father caught it at his work place and brought it home, and his 13-year old daughter caught it, and died.

Because our government hasn't put any protections in place for paid sick leave (though they enjoy it themselves... the Premier is currently at home for a 14-day quarantine while being paid his salary) nor enough testing nor enough ppe nor enough measures to punish businesses, and it goes on and on.

We were told today to expect a similar situation in September when the Fall term resumes.

That's pathetic.

I'm so angry and heartbroken and defeated.

From the end of January to the beginning of March, we had 5 rounds of tests in this house because I was a close contact or my oldest daughter was (twice) or my son was (once) or my youngest was symptomatic. None of us tested positive at any point, thankfully. But our home has been turned upside down, inverted inside-out.

And we are better off than probably 2/3 to 3/4 of other people in the province.

I'm just so tired of this. We are so busy playing party politics up here, that people are getting put through the woodchipper each day and the sickness counts and death tolls don't seem to matter to anyone that actually has any power. We have populist politicos in charge who only care about their power and re-election abilities.

It's disgusting.

It's not often where I look at the US and think, "Hey, there goes a country better off politically than Canada or Ontario."

But this is - and has been for ($*^%&% months - one of those times.
I feel for ya. My sister is a high school teacher in Ontario and this has been very stressful for her too. Just gotta keep hope that we can get the virus under control as vaccinations increase.

Just wanted to say that when I left these boards to sort a massive crisis in my own life there were a few people whose intelligent, thoughtful and often very funny posts I really missed.
You (and a lot of the fine people who still post here - yeah you know who you are) were one of them.
If you're having a bad time mate you should know that there are good people here to talk with - I for one have always spent time reading and rereading your posts. You've always challenged me to think through my opinions and although it's been a long time (and so much has happened to me) I always loved chatting with you and getting your take on life!

So hey in one of those embarrassingly emotional uncomfortable male-bonding things....I send good wishes and a fist bump!

:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom