COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (9 Viewers)

Have you seen @Oye? I’m concerned.

I've seen him post on Twitter a few times recently. I don't think he like how Canada is handling it, but no indication that he or his family have any issues.

No I have not. Ive been checking in to see any posts from him.

Just a couple of example of poor leadership from up here, last Sunday the Education Minister comes out and says all kids can go back to school after their 1 week break, schools are 99% safe. The next day the Premiere of Ontario Doug Ford(yes the brother of famous Rob Ford) says nope all schools closed and online learning only.
Yesterday Doug extended the 4 week lockdown to an additional 2 weeks so now 6 weeks and his presser he says the police can stop you in your cars and ask questions why you are out during lockdown. The next day the police force says they will not be doing this. Just a couple of examples.

Thanks, everyone, for keeping me in mind. I have PMs to answer, and I will. But more publicly, thanks. We were never in danger or anything - and we've all been healthy. A lot of it is exactly as showtime described. It's so insane and just gets dumber.

Truth be told, I didn't really trust myself online - so I've been more active on twitter, basically haranguing white supremacists, misogynists, and bigots to get the venom out.

Trust me, it's not something I would want to subject anyone to here lol

Knowing him, he's going on very long, specific runs.

He’s on a health/jogging kick atm

Running has saved me, tbh. I ran a 5K about a decade ago and stopped running, but then I picked it up again more consistently.

Why?

Spite.

Someone told me, "But you don't run" and I went for a run that very afternoon and have been running ever since and each run (I've logged 400kms across 80 runs since then) has been driven by spite to prove that person wrong.

I just went over 10K for the first time in my life earlier this week.

If I didn't have running to work out my frustrations, I'm not sure how I would have made it. I posted recently, on IG, that running changed my life. I know I am given to hyperbole, but that was 100% factual.

In fact, it's a VERY windy day here and I'm going for a run now, into the wind, to take advantage of the natural resistance.

I'm not recommending petty spite as a motivator.

But I'm also not not recommending it. ;)

But you don't give me $1,000 US.

Let's see if the spite works to my advantage. :grin:

Things are absolutely ridiculous up here. My mental health has been a mess - I've been a ball of stress and anger for months and there are times when I hardly recognize myself. It's part of the reason I haven't been around - because, to be honest, I haven't been fun to be around.

Our provincial government is a total mess. We are more than a year into this, and our ICUs have never been fuller. The r factor is at nearly its highest. We are breaking records for cases. The best resource for locating vaccines is a group of volunteers on Twitter. We have no leadership.

The first few months of the school year were fine. We were in class every day, but it was draining because we had to put in 5-6 hours a day, every day or every other day, with the same students because of the scheduling issues. Health and safety precautions were overwhelming. But then, the semester break hit and we didn't return to in person instruction for a couple of weeks and then we did WHILE CASES WERE SKYROCKETING.

Going into work every day was anxiety-ridden. My wife is, as I've mentioned before, immune-compromised and I've been on pins and needles about her health. She was vaccinated last week, with her Pfizer shot, and that was a relief. I have vaccination appointment this weekend, so that will also be a relief.

But our poor factory workers in nearby areas of the city - Brampton and Scarborough - which are home to poorer people of color are being totally neglected. A 55-year old father caught it at his work place and brought it home, and his 13-year old daughter caught it, and died.

Because our government hasn't put any protections in place for paid sick leave (though they enjoy it themselves... the Premier is currently at home for a 14-day quarantine while being paid his salary) nor enough testing nor enough ppe nor enough measures to punish businesses, and it goes on and on.

We were told today to expect a similar situation in September when the Fall term resumes.

That's pathetic.

I'm so angry and heartbroken and defeated.

From the end of January to the beginning of March, we had 5 rounds of tests in this house because I was a close contact or my oldest daughter was (twice) or my son was (once) or my youngest was symptomatic. None of us tested positive at any point, thankfully. But our home has been turned upside down, inverted inside-out.

And we are better off than probably 2/3 to 3/4 of other people in the province.

I'm just so tired of this. We are so busy playing party politics up here, that people are getting put through the woodchipper each day and the sickness counts and death tolls don't seem to matter to anyone that actually has any power. We have populist politicos in charge who only care about their power and re-election abilities.

It's disgusting.

It's not often where I look at the US and think, "Hey, there goes a country better off politically than Canada or Ontario."

But this is - and has been for ($*^%&% months - one of those times.

Thank you for your message. Miss reading your posts. Tough to see all that's going on up there. Hang in there man!

Even though we're making progress here, we're not quite out the woods yet and people we know are still getting sick. And a long time poster here, St. PJ died this week from Covid.

It's just crazy that we've all been dealing with this over a year. Just found out my wife's best friend is in the ER, so she's heading to Richmond to be with her.

Stay strong. We're pulling for you.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone frequented a Business yet that dropped their mask requirement in Louisiana yet? So far, every place I've been, still have it required. Not that I mind, just curious.

Ours hasn't mandated it, but they still suggest following CDC guidelines.

Sorry to hear about the stresses Oye, but glad you found an outlet for them thru running. Be it spite, fear whatever motivates you to move and flush out thru exercise can only be a good thing. And im glad you found your outlet.

My sister looking for hers. 365 days in Florence Italy in 2020 of which 108 were spent in full lockdown. Finally gets to return home Dec 2020 only to arrive home to an absolute cluster#$@# of cases and renewed fear. But she had been thru, alone, in Florence, so now home with husband, things were better.

Fast forward to March- they had her husbands BF stay with them as he was transitioning housing ( works for big network sporting events as lead engineer ) and decided to go play hockey w/ friends. Returned with covid. 5 days before my sister was to receive vaccine, she contracted.

He had mild variety. over in 4 days.

she was not as lucky. it was close to 17 days. No hospitalization so that was good. However, she fell in the prime demographic for LONG COVID. Thats what she now has. They symptoms are random as they are timing wise. They go from headache to brain fog to extreme fatigue and she never knows when she awakes what the day will hold. Talk about maddening, stress and depression all in one package. She is managing quite well, telemed with Mt. Siani in NYC as they are the main ones studying Long Covid, and the current prognosis is good. Its just getting to that point that is the trick.

So i feel ya. Stay strong, keep running and your sanity as all this will come to an end at some point and revisionist history will be all we have.

Glad to see you are getting vaccine too.

My sister looking for hers. 365 days in Florence Italy in 2020 of which 108 were spent in full lockdown. Finally gets to return home Dec 2020 only to arrive home to an absolute cluster#$@# of cases and renewed fear. But she had been thru, alone, in Florence, so now home with husband, things were better.
That’s when you know Covid is just screwing with people:
Covid: I’m going to make you stuck in Florence for a year!
Sentient Being (trying to play it cool): Gosh! How Unfair! This will be the worst thing ever!!
Covid: nice try, I wasn’t finished...

Sorry to hear about the stresses Oye, but glad you found an outlet for them thru running. Be it spite, fear whatever motivates you to move and flush out thru exercise can only be a good thing. And im glad you found your outlet.

Fast forward to March- they had her husbands BF stay with them as he was transitioning housing ( works for big network sporting events as lead engineer ) and decided to go play hockey w/ friends. Returned with covid. 5 days before my sister was to receive vaccine, she contracted.

He had mild variety. over in 4 days.

she was not as lucky. it was close to 17 days. No hospitalization so that was good. However, she fell in the prime demographic for LONG COVID. Thats what she now has. They symptoms are random as they are timing wise. They go from headache to brain fog to extreme fatigue and she never knows when she awakes what the day will hold. Talk about maddening, stress and depression all in one package. She is managing quite well, telemed with Mt. Siani in NYC as they are the main ones studying Long Covid, and the current prognosis is good. Its just getting to that point that is the trick.

So i feel ya. Stay strong, keep running and your sanity as all this will come to an end at some point and revisionist history will be all we have.

Glad to see you are getting vaccine too.
What part of the US did she return to? I've been sharing the story of your sister with my daughter because she did study abroad a couple of times in Florence.

My mother-in-law had long covid, and said after she had the 2nd dose it was like a fog that had been over her the last year was lifted.

yes she is awaiting dose 2. Some are saying hold off, others say to get.

Hopefully she will get better in the coming weeks and be able to get the 2nd dose.

Thanks

What part of the US did she return to? I've been sharing the story of your sister with my daughter because she did study abroad a couple of times in Florence.

Denver.

My sister LOVED Florence - was really saddened she couldnt take it everything, but it was memorable experience. Plus her design school awarded her a scholarship for year 2 as well as online ability to finish out state side.

Travel restrictions w/ India beginning May 4

Surprised it hasn't started yet. This should have happened weeks ago if not longer. At least we're making a lot of progress on the vaccine front to hopefully keep spread from India at a minimum.

Such a heartbreaking mess there. 300k new cases per day is just impossible to comprehend. Geez.

Surprised it hasn't started yet. This should have happened weeks ago if not longer. At least we're making a lot of progress on the vaccine front to hopefully keep spread from India at a minimum.

Such a heartbreaking mess there. 300k new cases per day is just impossible to comprehend. Geez.
couple of models thru Univ of Wash and another ( i think UM ) say that the likely number is 5 to 10x higher.

Thats really hard to wrap your mind around, but in a country with such dense and relatively poor population, its probably closer to 1,000,000 per day. I just dont think they have the testing capacity to churn out those numbers.

And just like here early on, there is motivation ( politically ) to tamp down those "official" numbers.

couple of models thru Univ of Wash and another ( i think UM ) say that the likely number is 5 to 10x higher.

Thats really hard to wrap your mind around, but in a country with such dense and relatively poor population, its probably closer to 1,000,000 per day. I just dont think they have the testing capacity to churn out those numbers.

And just like here early on, there is motivation ( politically ) to tamp down those "official" numbers.

Yeah, makes you wonder how bad it actually was in China. Never believed their numbers. Not even a little bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom