COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (23 Viewers)

Something I get as an email from the NY Times.... this started by talking about outdoor mask usage. That if someone is just walking by, you don't need to mask up.

I just like the note about compassion.

I understand why many people will continue to exercise more caution than the data suggests is necessary (and, to be clear, caution with children is vital until more adults have had the chance to get a vaccine). Covid has been horrible, arguably worse than any other infectious disease in living memory, and it is not over. “We’ve been so traumatized by all of this,” Gregg Gonsalves, a Yale epidemiologist, told Tara Parker-Pope. “I think we need to have a little bit of compassion for the people having trouble letting go.”​
Compassion is a good concept. At this stage in the pandemic, different people are going to start making different decisions, and many of those decisions will be defensible. Before lashing out at behavior that is different from your own, maybe it’s worth pausing to ask whether compassion is the better response​

If there ever was a place that needed to be locked down, this is definitely up there. Still allowing large public gatherings is crazy to me. That said, India was always going to be a powder keg for an epidemic; the sheer numbers of people, widespread poor working conditions and medical services, the services between those wealthy citizens and the working class couldn't be more stark. India has a ton of problems that only makes the pandemic worse. Sad to see it getting so bad there.

its a virus' wet dream. its a petri dish. Thats what scares me.

If there ever was a place that needed to be locked down, this is definitely up there. Still allowing large public gatherings is crazy to me. That said, India was always going to be a powder keg for an epidemic; the sheer numbers of people, widespread poor working conditions and medical services, the services between those wealthy citizens and the working class couldn't be more stark. India has a ton of problems that only makes the pandemic worse. Sad to see it getting so bad there.
This post jogged my memory. My HS biology teacher was from the 60's generation. After receiving his degree from UCLA, he went on a world tour. His friend from India said, If you go to India avoid Calcutta . My friends don't go there. It's the nastiest city on earth.

Something I get as an email from the NY Times.... this started by talking about outdoor mask usage. That if someone is just walking by, you don't need to mask up.

I just like the note about compassion.
Love and understanding is what we need. Where i live at people go in stores and gas stations without mask. Even though business request it.

I dont mind cause i mask up. Even when all this passes im masking at work and public places. If nothing else so i dont get common cold.

I spoke to a friend Sunday morning about his Dad battling COVID. He died later that day and was buried today. COVID spread through their family in the last few days (about 6 families all live next to each other on family property). The epicenter of the mini-outbreak appears to be his sister's family who's always been mask and distance conscience, but they recently started attending church with minimal protection. So she, her husband and child got it. It was spread to their mother, then my friend and then his father. He had Moderna shot 1 about 10 days prior and it minimized his bout. There was no visitation and a private funeral, I'm assuming because of the virus in the family.

I haven't had anyone close to me experience it in a while. I think we're in a much better place, but it's still very real. I fear the interest in vaccines is plateauing. Most that wanted it have already been vaccinated.

It’s time to lock down all cross border travel. No exceptions until the world gets a handle on this.

Be interesting if they do. Our company has major international contracts. We would have massive layoffs for laborers and office staff.

So, interesting how much can change in like 6-8 months.

In the early summer of 2020 and when we drove the boy up to college, many of the rest stops north of Palm Beach County on the turnpike had like workers and 20% masked. Maybe 50% sometimes.

This time, it looked like 95% masked. Only saw one 60 yr old dude without a mask just walk in.

So,.for all of the talk about it being somewhat optional in Florida, I'm seeing better mask usage.

Haven't explored much tonight but at UF, on campus like 95% mask usage outdoors. They also have drive up testing on campus and vaccination drives.

I'm gonna try to check out an outdoor bar here in a few.

Several of my co-workers in India have contracted COVID. One is in the hospital and the others we are waiting to hear status. It's really bad there according to the lead that I spoke with this morning. She sounded hopeless. Little oxygen availability, no access to vaccine unless you are 45 plus, and even then you have to wait 6 months or more. It's insane. I really hope things turnaround for them.

Not much of a bar scene in downtown. Just a few pockets. Not many wanting to hang indoors, I guess. A few outside.

Not much of a bar scene in downtown. Just a few pockets. Not many wanting to hang indoors, I guess. A few outside.

I'm on my desk top and couldn't find the article from FOX that came over my phone last night. It said vaccinated people can gather with other vaccinated people in small gatherings indoors. It was from the CDC. The CDC also recommends practicing social distancing and wearing a mask in public until "more is known". Once again, we are still learning.

The situation in India is so bad - and it's nowhere near the apex, with hundreds of thousands of new cases daily (still going up), and severe/hospitalization-requiring disease lagging new cases by over two weeks, it's going to get worse in India. They are setting up makeshift oxygen tents where dozens of patients get connected to an oxygen system . . . but thy are crude and sometimes fail.

Yet the country has not moved to shut down mass gatherings. Large (by India's standards means tens of thousands or more) political gatherings and religious celebrations continue on a regular basis.

Man what a nightmare

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom