COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (15 Viewers)

I don't think people in their 20s watch TV news.

Lol, yeah, not tv news, but they do consume their share of news through social media, and those TV news outlets usually have a presence on those platforms. My oldest son is 22 and we talk occasionally about current events. Usually he and his friends are talking about all the stuff that's going on, so they trade in news so to speak.

Lol, yeah, not tv news, but they do consume their share of news through social media, and those TV news outlets usually have a presence on those platforms. My oldest son is 22 and we talk occasionally about current events. Usually he and his friends are talking about all the stuff that's going on, so they trade in news so to speak.

And they get their news from anti-vax platforms?

More outstanding work from Trevor Bedford. We can see how Michigan’s current outbreak is definitely being fueled by B.1.1.7. Thread:

With these recent reports from India, how has China managed to only have 100k cases and 5000 deaths?

It's pretty clear by a number of different methods that China's numbers aren't accurate - they're complete lies.
Yes, their figures won't be true, but at the same time, it's also pretty clear that China isn't in the same state as India, so the question is still valid as to why not.

And the most significant difference, I'd say, would be in China's highly aggressive approach to containing outbreaks. Full authoritarian lockdowns, population monitoring, strong compliance. Whereas India managed, somehow, to not get completely overwhelmed in their first wave, and their authorities seem to have just taken that as an indication they could just say, "it's all over now, everyone relax and get back to normal," which, no, they couldn't.

Interesting study from MIT.

It's what we've talked about before. 6 feet is fine for shorter term, but if you're eating, or working in a shared space, it's all about air flow. If you don't have good airflow, you're screwed if anyone infected comes into that air space. Get in, get out. Eat, put your mask back on.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/staying-6-feet-apart-indoors-112732760.html

But in an environment in which the air is moving around the room and people are talking, eating, singing, and sneezing, the drops can be suspended in the airflow and mixed throughout the room longer.

The effect can be counteracted by ventilation or filtration to get the virus particles out of circulation in the room.

A website made available by the researchers shows how this model works in different scenarios.

For example, if an infected person walks into a classroom hosting 25 people, none wearing masks and all speaking, everyone would be at risk from the coronavirus within 36 minutes, the website says. It doesn't matter if they follow the 6-foot rule.

By contrast, if all 25 people in that room were wearing a mask, the air would be safe to breathe for 20 hours, it said.

If they were all singing without a mask, they be at risk from the virus within three minutes.

Public-health bodies have started to acknowledge that the 6-foot rule is not a catchall. In March, the CDC advised that the 6-foot rule could be brought down to 3 feet in K-12 schools.

Here's the app / study they mentioned.

https://indoor-covid-safety.herokuapp.com/

Using a 737 as an example, for Southwest, the occupancy max is about 175 passengers. BTW, that "limted to >160 people" is just their cutoff. I can't change it to 175 or 200.

The masks are disposable surgical style masks, in these two examples.

1619462998141.png

With UK Strain, those 100 people in masks go from 54 hours to 34 hours in masks, talking.

What I need to verify is if the infected person is masked, like the others, or always unmasked.
1619463741108.png

Ahh, advanced mode is fun.

Using a baseline of 28% immune, which is about what a lot of States are at now.

No masks, speaking on an airplane. 175 people, 55 min.

1619464187270.png

If no one is talking, 175 people are good for 16 hours with no masks.

1619464299850.png

I'll spare the image, but wearing masks and speaking, with an infected person on board, with 28% immune.. good for 43 hours with 175 people.

Yes, their figures won't be true, but at the same time, it's also pretty clear that China isn't in the same state as India, so the question is still valid as to why not.

And the most significant difference, I'd say, would be in China's highly aggressive approach to containing outbreaks. Full authoritarian lockdowns, population monitoring, strong compliance. Whereas India managed, somehow, to not get completely overwhelmed in their first wave, and their authorities seem to have just taken that as an indication they could just say, "it's all over now, everyone relax and get back to normal," which, no, they couldn't.

I posted the following on both threads. My wife is from Taiwan. It's common practice to wear masks and social distance during Flu season. When the original outbreaks started occuring in Wuhan, they immediately shut down air and sea travel to mainland China. It's something the USA should have done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom