COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (10 Viewers)

What should we be doing? More lockdowns???

No. Getting vaccinated. If the entire country approached the pandemic like the national (global) crisis that is is, we would have reached the vaccination levels required to dramatically decrease the chances of variants emerging on our shores.

What should we be doing? More lockdowns???
This is a great question. I just wish more people would get vaccinated. I saw a stat yesterday that saddens me.

Total number of doses
2,615,055 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been delivered in Mississippi

1,790,598 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Mississippi

Ms. has a population of 2.9 million. We've received enough doses to have almost every resident vaccinated. Only 34% have received one dose and only 27% are fully vaccinated. I can see a nasty variant developing here. We just don't know yet. This virus could disappear or be with us forever.

If we keep goofing around, we might find out.

Without herd immunity the virus will have plenty of opportunities to evolve into a version that feasts on children.

Ever since the CDC came out and said that if you're vaccinated, you don't need your mask... I don't see anyone wearing a mask... anywhere.

That's been almost a month... so shouldn't we be seeing insane spikes? I am traveling to Vegas this weekend.. wife and I are both vaccinated. I am in a ton of groups on FB and no one is wearing a mask in Vegas except workers it seems. Is COVID not a hot topic with the media right now?

The Louisiana department of health website is 2 week old data, so is there a more current place?

Ever since the CDC came out and said that if you're vaccinated, you don't need your mask... I don't see anyone wearing a mask... anywhere.
Masks are still common in the New Orleans metro, for what it's worth. Masking has fallen from virtually 100% down to about 70-80%, though, with some variance.

That's been almost a month... so shouldn't we be seeing insane spikes?
It's the reverse -- among the unvaccinated, there has been no insane decrease in cases-per-head:

That's been almost a month... so shouldn't we be seeing insane spikes? I am traveling to Vegas this weekend.. wife and I are both vaccinated. I am in a ton of groups on FB and no one is wearing a mask in Vegas except workers it seems. Is COVID not a hot topic with the media right now?

The Louisiana department of health website is 2 week old data, so is there a more current place?

You're responding to a poster who was responding to a hypothetical regarding increased disease/mortality in children. No one said anything about mask wearing in vaccinated populations.

Well, depends. Where are you at? Houston? A burb? Metro?

Also, the weather is pretty nice to be outside, always low transmission rates, UV light does a lot of damage to it.

Oh, and @jrdbrn , I just looked, guess we are getting an uptick now in a few places.

It's going to be a function of prior infections from last year and vaccination rate. If both were/are high, then new cases should be low.

Also, Vegas is seeing an uptick.

1623162426391.png

This data doesn't have prior infection totals to compare with. And some who were infected would have gotten vaccinated, so don't want to overcount. Even Kansas, technically down 1% from 14 days ago, is ramping back up, I expect it to be in the + territory tomorrow or the day after. 7 day averages take a while to move.

1623162638125.png

Now, to put Alabama in perspective It's up, but it's still at a near low. The question is will it be a small bump up, and what communities. i..e the most metro areas are probably more highly vaccinated, or were more harshly hit earlier, so they'll have a harder time getting a foothold again, but, the negative is that there are a lot of people in a condensed area. However, no one county in Alabama is really doing great with vaccinations, so not a big difference between metro and not.

1623162786794.png

A lot of these are small numbers, so big % change, but some are significant numbers, and it all depends on how many hospital beds are in smaller counties. If any (sometimes you need to go to the neighboring county).
1623162880614.png

It's a little early to see what's going on with Clark County Nevada, since they didn't report for the entire weekend. Also, I'm not sure how visitors are counted. It may depend on when they feel sick. Odds are, they might end up back home before they're symptomatic. At least, those unvaccinated.

1623163059807.png

Well, depends. Where are you at? Houston? A burb? Metro?

Also, the weather is pretty nice to be outside, always low transmission rates, UV light does a lot of damage to it.
Agreed, I believe we'll know more when Autumn comes and the days start getting shorter. We are currently in the month with the most intense sun rays and the longest days of the year. School is also out and there isn't much congregation from children.

I can only speak from personal experience. My fellow employees who didn't get vaccinated are still wearing masks.

Pfizer uptick is real, so, looking like kids. But look, also Moderna just moved up a bit, and J&J. Must be making some ground with community outreach (not much, but better than none).

1623163319044.png

It's going to turn into forced testing on the spot.

And this is all over the world. Lots of folks in lots of countries are trying to cheat.

I'm not sure vaccine cards will be the solution. They are policing official negative tests.

There would have to be a central verifiable database for results of.covid testing and it would have to be exempt from HIPAA. That way providers could just report official results. May still have to guard against under the table arrangements. People will bribe those with access.

The alternative is no international flights until a certain percentage of the world is vaccinated to a reasonable %. Maybe country by country. That has longer lasting economic impacts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom