COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (13 Viewers)

good reminder as we get back to "normal" that for so many people things will never be the same
==============================
Last month, when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said vaccinated people could resume gathering indoors unmasked, many saw it as the most hopeful sign so far of the nation’s reopening.

But Pamela Addison felt blindsided. She got on a Zoom call with other women whose husbands had died of covid-19. To many, it felt too soon to stop wearing masks. And the CDC announcement felt like a punch in the stomach.

“I think it makes our grief deeper,” said Addison, 37, a teacher in Waldwick, N.J. Her 44-year-old husband Martin, a speech pathologist at a hospital, died of the coronavirus in April 2020, leaving behind two children, who are now 3 and 1. “As people move forward who haven’t been impacted, I kind of feel like they forget and don’t care about the people whose lives were. You kind of don’t feel cared about.”

After 15 months of surges and shutdowns, vaccines have turned the tide of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States. Infection rates have plummeted. President Biden has declared that “the light at the end of the tunnel is actually growing brighter and brighter.” Restaurants and bars are reopening to full capacity, and flights are crammed with people excited to finally take postponed vacations or reunite with relatives.

But for millions, there will be no reunions and no return to a pre-pandemic life. Covid has killed nearly 600,000 in the United States and left an estimated 5.4 million grieving. For many of them, watching the country open up feels like the reopening of a wound.

“They are thankful the pandemic is coming to an end, they are thankful there is a vaccine, but . . . I think the quickness with which this happened, and the celebration with which this happened is a little discordant,” said Chris Kocher, founder and executive director of Covid Survivors for Change, a survivors and families advocacy group, adding that because of travel restrictions, some families are only now beginning to gather and mourn.

“The lack of validation is really hard for people — the idea that it’s behind us, the idea that we don’t need to take basic safety precautions,” he said. “We’ve experienced a collective national trauma — how can we celebrate the lives that have been lost?”

For many, the loss is not just psychological but also financial. In some cases, family breadwinners have died..............

good reminder as we get back to "normal" that for so many people things will never be the same
==============================
Last month, when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said vaccinated people could resume gathering indoors unmasked, many saw it as the most hopeful sign so far of the nation’s reopening.

But Pamela Addison felt blindsided. She got on a Zoom call with other women whose husbands had died of covid-19. To many, it felt too soon to stop wearing masks. And the CDC announcement felt like a punch in the stomach.

“I think it makes our grief deeper,” said Addison, 37, a teacher in Waldwick, N.J. Her 44-year-old husband Martin, a speech pathologist at a hospital, died of the coronavirus in April 2020, leaving behind two children, who are now 3 and 1. “As people move forward who haven’t been impacted, I kind of feel like they forget and don’t care about the people whose lives were. You kind of don’t feel cared about.”

After 15 months of surges and shutdowns, vaccines have turned the tide of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States. Infection rates have plummeted. President Biden has declared that “the light at the end of the tunnel is actually growing brighter and brighter.” Restaurants and bars are reopening to full capacity, and flights are crammed with people excited to finally take postponed vacations or reunite with relatives.

But for millions, there will be no reunions and no return to a pre-pandemic life. Covid has killed nearly 600,000 in the United States and left an estimated 5.4 million grieving. For many of them, watching the country open up feels like the reopening of a wound.

“They are thankful the pandemic is coming to an end, they are thankful there is a vaccine, but . . . I think the quickness with which this happened, and the celebration with which this happened is a little discordant,” said Chris Kocher, founder and executive director of Covid Survivors for Change, a survivors and families advocacy group, adding that because of travel restrictions, some families are only now beginning to gather and mourn.

“The lack of validation is really hard for people — the idea that it’s behind us, the idea that we don’t need to take basic safety precautions,” he said. “We’ve experienced a collective national trauma — how can we celebrate the lives that have been lost?”

For many, the loss is not just psychological but also financial. In some cases, family breadwinners have died..............

Probably similar to 'winning a war' or 'ending a war' and wanting to celebrate, yet there are those who lost fellow soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen, who would feel a bit conflicted.

Some people really suck.
Honestly, there is equal amount of people sucking here.

The people that are just butt crevasses AND the people that couldn't see this coming. We should have had a universal vaccine passport months ago. It's as simple as an app with a scannable QR code.

Honestly, there is equal amount of people sucking here.

The people that are just butt crevasses AND the people that couldn't see this coming. We should have had a universal vaccine passport months ago. It's as simple as an app with a scannable QR code.

I don't think it's quite that simple (unless you just mean ideally, which sure, that's true). But realistically, a government version of a universal vaccine passport would have to be administered through HHS - and it wouldn't have even gotten started until several weeks after the Biden inauguration (because we know there was no interest from the Trump administration). And it would have almost certainly required a contractor to create . . . so now you're talking time to prepare the requirement, compete the award, and only then can you get started on it. Then you'd have to roll it out through some kind of platform where the vaccine provider verifies that it was done. I doubt we'd have it yet, sitting here in June.

A commercial/private alternative is viable - large employers and schools were using third-party compliance managers, with apps and other resources to do Covid screening. But that wouldn't have any sort of "official" quality about it and unless the vaccine providers were populating it directly themselves, it could still be falsified.

I don't think it's quite that simple (unless you just mean ideally, which sure, that's true). But realistically, a government version of a universal vaccine passport would have to be administered through HHS - and it wouldn't have even gotten started until several weeks after the Biden inauguration (because we know there was no interest from the Trump administration). And it would have almost certainly required a contractor to create . . . so now you're talking time to prepare the requirement, compete the award, and only then can you get started on it. Then you'd have to roll it out through some kind of platform where the vaccine provider verifies that it was done. I doubt we'd have it yet, sitting here in June.

A commercial/private alternative is viable - large employers and schools were using third-party compliance managers, with apps and other resources to do Covid screening. But that wouldn't have any sort of "official" quality about it and unless the vaccine providers were populating it directly themselves, it could still be falsified.
Louisiana has already integrated vaccine status into their official app (which also allows you to carry an official copy of your license). So it’s doable, at least at the state level.

Louisiana has already integrated vaccine status into their official app (which also allows you to carry an official copy of your license). So it’s doable, at least at the state level.

Yeah, that makes sense. How does the app know you're vaccinated?

Virginia is lagging in this area. There is no state DMV app at all that I'm aware of, let alone being able to have your official DL available in the app.

E34F4192-AA0E-4E9C-BBE6-0E1F9557893B.png

That's really cool, I'm impressed for Louisiana. It appears that the vaccination status is provided/verified from official LADOH records, so that would seem gold standard to me.

Like Dave said, I don't even think most states have such an app for licenses, much less vaccination status. Cheers to LA.

I keep hearing this narrative that the lag in Vaccines doses is due to the Anti-vax / Evangelical / Rural / Mostly Caucasian demographic...

But I keep reading that it's actually the opposite demographics that are not getting vaccinated (for whatever) reasons...

I have no point here - I am just posting what I am reading, and how it's not matching up with the overall narrative of why vaccine rates are lacking.

9627-Figure-1.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom