COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (9 Viewers)

Kind of misleading. Yes, it's not a catch all. It's one part of the solution. it will only stop larger droplets from being flung in your face. But the smaller ones that hang in the air, aren't affected by the barriers. It's why masks or being vaccinated help. But, it will prevent someone from being directly sneezed or coughed on.

I mean, we use sneeze guards for buffets... they do help.

https://www.ehs.washington.edu/system/files/resources/COVID-19-plexiglass-barriers-workplace.pdf

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...-princeton-study-gives-a-clearer-picture.html one study from Princton.

Again, if you're hanging in the same room for a long time, outside of the slight air flow disruption, they won't do much. They're more for point of sale type interactions where you'll be close to someone for a short while. Then, they're effective.

I keep hearing this narrative that the lag in Vaccines doses is due to the Anti-vax / Evangelical / Rural / Mostly Caucasian demographic...

But I keep reading that it's actually the opposite demographics that are not getting vaccinated (for whatever) reasons...

I have no point here - I am just posting what I am reading, and how it's not matching up with the overall narrative of why vaccine rates are lacking.

9627-Figure-1.png

I didn't read the article, so there may be some more insight there that I've missed. One thing to consider is that this was released to medical professionals and the elderly first. I think outside of Asian and "other" doctors, I'd guess that medical professionals (along with first responders) probably leans more white. Also, elderly leans more white, since the you'd have to look at demographics from 65+ year ago.

I think the "people who initiated vaccination in the last 14 days" see's a good surge in minorities, or at least a steady rate. Look at Hispanic's almost doubling.

Outreach was always an issue for some communities. Some states have done a wonderful job, especially with Native populations, like in NM and AZ.

We just got guidance at work that those vaccinated (2 weeks after final dose) do not have to wear masks, but of course, may continue to. Those not, can't.

I bet we're going to have a situation tomorrow where someone we all know isn't vaccinated (we've all been talking, we mostly know who's who) starts walking around without a mask. Not sure management has guidance on how to handle that yet....

LA, MS, and AL once again at the bottom.

Living in NOLA, the vax % is much higher than the rest of the state. When the state opened up for everyone to get them, there was an initial mad rush to get them that was awesome. Now that everyone who wanted them got them, we're left w/ the part of the population who refuses to get them for various reasons.

The other problematic one is the part of the population who have difficulty being able to actually get vaccinated.

LA, MS, and AL once again at the bottom.

Living in NOLA, the vax % is much higher than the rest of the state. When the state opened up for everyone to get them, there was an initial mad rush to get them that was awesome. Now that everyone who wanted them got them, we're left w/ the part of the population who refuses to get them for various reasons.

The other problematic one is the part of the population who have difficulty being able to actually get vaccinated.

Could the amount of the supply be part of the issue? - People feel no urgency to get it because they can get it whenever they want

If a story came out that there was a problem with manufacturing and once this supply runs out they won't be able to get any more until Halloween would that retrigger the mad rush

FWIW... My personal experience is... People that live in highly populated areas (NOLA) are much more motivated to get the shot(s), because they interact and come in contact with many more people on a regular basis... Whereas people who live in very sparsely populated areas (rarely leave their property, see the same 10 people everyday, nearest neighbor maybe 3 football fields away, are on their boat for a week at a time, etc) are less motivated to get the shot(s). Almost everyone I talk to from the Highly Urban environments knows many many people that have impacted by Covid.... Almost everyone I talk to from Very Rural environments know maybe one person or heard of someone being impacted by Covid....

So it doesn't surprise me that states with lots of small rural towns, and maybe 1 or 2 highly populated urban areas would see such a disparity in Vaxs... The risk (or perceived risk anyway) is relative to population density and contact.

Just my experience based on conversations with people from different localities

FWIW... My personal experience is... People that live in highly populated areas (NOLA) are much more motivated to get the shot(s), because they interact and come in contact with many more people on a regular basis... Whereas people who live in very sparsely populated areas (rarely leave their property, see the same 10 people everyday, nearest neighbor maybe 3 football fields away, are on their boat for a week at a time, etc) are less motivated to get the shot(s). Almost everyone I talk to from the Highly Urban environments knows many many people that have impacted by Covid.... Almost everyone I talk to from Very Rural environments know maybe one person or heard of someone being impacted by Covid....

So it doesn't surprise me that states with lots of small rural towns, and maybe 1 or 2 highly populated urban areas would see such a disparity in Vaxs... The risk (or perceived risk anyway) is relative to population density and contact.

Just my experience based on conversations with people from different localities

I have to disagree. My state of Ms. isn't a very densly populated st,but there are others with less dense populations blowing us out of the water. We were also one of the first states giving the vaccine via a walk in appt. The local pharmacy in my neighborhood was also vaccinating Ala. and La, residents. There really is no excuse for Ms. to be dead last.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom