COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) 35,147,918 US cases, 625,852 US deaths.] (19 Viewers)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm starting to think breakthroughs are way more common than we're being led to believe. It's tough to tell because the CDC stopped tracking non severe breakthroughs.. But as long as protection against serious illness and death remain sufficient I guess we'll just have to deal.

How to interpret these data​

The number of COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections reported to CDC likely are an undercount of all SARS-CoV-2 infections among fully vaccinated persons. National surveillance relies on passive and voluntary reporting, and data might not be complete or representative. These surveillance data are a snapshot and help identify patterns and look for signals among vaccine breakthrough cases.

Data on patients with vaccine breakthrough infection who were hospitalized or died will be updated regularly. Studies are being conducted in multiple U.S. sites that will include information on all vaccine breakthrough infections regardless of clinical status to supplement the national surveillance.

COVID-19 vaccines are effective​

• Vaccine breakthrough cases occur in only a small percentage of vaccinated people. To date, no unexpected patterns have been identified in the case demographics or vaccine characteristics among people with reported vaccine breakthrough infections.
  • COVID-19 vaccines are effective. CDC recommends that everyone 12 years of age and older get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they can.
  • People who have been fully vaccinated can resume activities that they did prior to the pandemic.

Reaction score
I'm going to laugh when we get put back under a mask mandate and all of the fall festivals are cancelled and we have yet another restricted football season because people refuse to get vaccinated. That press conference Bel Edwards had last Friday? That was him begging people to get vaccinated because he doesn't want to have to regress and order a new mask mandate.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This sucks.

BELOWSEALEVEL

Almost Heaven :o)
Reaction score
I'm going to laugh when we get put back under a mask mandate and all of the fall festivals are cancelled and we have yet another restricted football season because people refuse to get vaccinated. That press conference Bel Edwards had last Friday? That was him begging people to get vaccinated because he doesn't want to have to regress and order a new mask mandate.
At this rate kiss Mardi gras goodbye..
Another surge should be around by then. Wake up folks. The shot can help.

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
I'm starting to think breakthroughs are way more common than we're being led to believe. It's tough to tell because the CDC stopped tracking non severe breakthroughs.. But as long as protection against serious illness and death remain sufficient I guess we'll just have to deal.
I mentioned it on the vaccine thread, but I had two coworkers just test positive on Monday night/Tuesday morning. Both were fully vaccinated. One moderna, one pfizer.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mentioned it on the vaccine thread, but I had two coworkers just test positive on Monday night/Tuesday morning. Both were fully vaccinated. One moderna, one pfizer.
This isn't shocking. Without herd immunity, there is just too much virus being passed around to let the odds stamp it out. When you have a 10% chance of catching it and interact with a lot of unvaccinated people, that 10% becomes more significant.

What would be shocking is if they have a really rough time with it and end up in the hospital or worse. That's the main point of the Vaccine. Preventing bad outcomes.

There is a bit of a false sense of security with being vaccinated.

Having air bags doesn't prevent car accidents. It prevents a lot of deaths. And they don't prevent all deaths.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I feel that the narrative for the un-vaxxed seeing the vaxxed testing positive will be, "see it doesn't work". If anyone believed the vax would keep them from being infected, then they didn't understand how vaccinations work to begin with. I still feel safe and confident after being vaxxed, knowing my chances of severe illness is extremely low. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if I had an antibody test that came back positive for Covid. I've been maskless since May except for places that required it.

Reaction score

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
I have a family member who is a nurse (and not antivax) claiming that over 80% of the positive tests she's getting back are coming from vaccinated people. Seems unlikely, but she's adamant its true.
Might have been discussed because I'm skipping over some posts, but:

- Is she testing obviously sick people in a hospital, or is she doing a lot of testing of apparently healthy people needing tests for work or travel?
- Is she working in an area where full-vaccination rates are high-ish (north of 60% or so)? Like in a major city, as opposed to a rural area?

At a point, Bayes Theorem kicks in, and the numbers start to get decidedly counterintuitive. Skip over the equations in the link -- this theorem is better grasped by most people via text explanation.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
I'm starting to think breakthroughs are way more common than we're being led to believe.
Another thing to consider is: Are all cases to be treated as equal? Is a case in a vaccinated person in July 2021 the same public issue of concern as a case in an unvaccinated person in July 2020?

Influenza is known to produce large numbers of asymptomatic infections even in low-vaccination populations. So far as I'm aware, most viral infections are the same way.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
This isn't shocking. Without herd immunity, there is just too much virus being passed around to let the odds stamp it out. When you have a 10% chance of catching it and interact with a lot of unvaccinated people, that 10% becomes more significant.
Bayes Theorem in a nutshell.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Reaction score
Sure is looking that way, and the CDC appears to be digging their heels in on their decision to remove the mask mandate for vaccinated people. I hope they will admit their mistake soon, but I'm not counting on it.
I highly doubt that vaccinated people are the problem. I personally don’t think vaccinated people really need to wear masks, because I’m not convinced that they are at any higher risk of dying from COVID than your average person during flu season. Even with delta...the death rate is incredibly low in vaccinated individuals.

If there is a gripe...it is that by allowing vaccinated people to not wear masks it encouraged businesses to loosen their broad mask wearing protocols...so more unvaccinated people got it and a percentage of those died.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom