COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (11 Viewers)

If there's ever been an obvious reminder that we are indeed blessed to live in a nation of such power and resources, consider that most of us got fully vaccinated before the heir to the crown of forking England.

If there's ever been an obvious reminder that we are indeed blessed to live in a nation of such power and resources, consider that most of us got fully vaccinated before the heir to the crown of forking England.

And it’s great to hear when companies and the government can work efficiently together!

Not a relative power and resources thing; the USA has something like 38% of its population fully vaccinated, with the UK around 31%, but about 55% of the UK has had at least one dose compared to 48% in the US. The UK is actually slightly ahead of the US in doses per 100 people (at least, according to this data it is: https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...on=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=USA~GBR).

It's more of a vaccine strategy and uptake thing. He's only just getting his first one because he's 38 and the vaccine rollout here was only just extended down to 38 year olds without vulnerabilities.

So, apparently this is a thing. People are actually buying these and attempting to use them. A family member sent me this. He didn't say it outright, but I suspect he bought them for himself. Thankfully not immediate family, but still...ehhh. I'm not posting the website here though. I refuse to give them clicks.

89FFD4FE-.jpg

Not a relative power and resources thing; the USA has something like 38% of its population fully vaccinated, with the UK around 31%, but about 55% of the UK has had at least one dose compared to 48% in the US. The UK is actually slightly ahead of the US in doses per 100 people (at least, according to this data it is: https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...on=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=USA~GBR).

It's more of a vaccine strategy and uptake thing. He's only just getting his first one because he's 38 and the vaccine rollout here was only just extended down to 38 year olds without vulnerabilities.

We went to 16 by the end of March and have been down to 12 for a few weeks now. You're saying it's the masses of American reluctants and conspiracy theorists that allow that and not power and resources?

Okay fine, I'll take it. 😁

So, apparently this is a thing. People are actually buying these and attempting to use them. A family member sent me this. He didn't say it outright, but I suspect he bought them for himself. Thankfully not immediate family, but still...ehhh. I'm not posting the website here though. I refuse to give them clicks.

89FFD4FE-.jpg

Let them. I have direct family... many members who refuse the vaccine. It's their choice. We all make health choices daily. I hope nothing happens to them, but it's their decision. These stupid badges are from the politicizing of COVID. Let it be and it will lose steam.

Let them. I have direct family... many members who refuse the vaccine. It's their choice. We all make health choices daily. I hope nothing happens to them, but it's their decision. These stupid badges are from the politicizing of COVID. Let it be and it will lose steam.

It's not politicizing anything. This is mostly idiots being idiots. That is all.

And I know you know this, but those people making irresponsible choices aren't just making their own choices because it affects those around them. So those choices don't just affect them.

But whatever, hopefully the vaccine is enough to protect me from them.

Article on the coming eviction crisis
==========================
Two weeks ago, a federal court in Washington, DC ruled that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) overstepped its authority in issuing a nationwide eviction moratorium and threw it out. The Justice Department announced that it would appeal the verdict and the judge has allowed the moratorium to remain in place while litigation continues. Still, the ruling has caused chaos across the country, as tenants grapple with the possibility of being evicted during the pandemic.

In addition to the CDC moratorium, the country has been covered with a patchwork of state, county, and city-level bans on evictions. However, despite these protections - and thanks in part to a system of loopholes - thousands have been evicted over the last year of the pandemic. The chaos caused by this ruling has only reaffirmed the need for Congress to act and pass real relief for tenants. It's time to cancel rent..........

As cases, deaths, and hospitalizations decrease in the coming weeks, politicians may use this opportunity to declare the pandemic over and rescind the moratoriums. While the moratoriums need to be extended for the considerable future, they do not address the accumulating amount of unpaid rent that is piling up for those who are at risk of eviction. By this month, 7 million renters in America will collectively owe $40 billion in unpaid rent - these unpaid fees will kick off a cascade of evictions once the moratoriums expire.

This is why Congress needs to act to not only pass a lengthy moratorium but also to cancel outstanding rent so that tenants are not evicted once that moratorium expires.

Representative Ilhan Omar has proposed a bill that would do just that. The Rent and Mortgage Cancellation Act wouldn't just cancel all missed rental and mortgage payments, it would also cause missed payments to have no effect on people's credit scores. Additionally, it would establish a fund that would allow landlords and mortgage holders to recuperate their losses, providing both owners and renters with a win-win situation. Since some landlords have been evicting tenants throughout this period, it would be important that such a fund reward landlords who have not evicted tenants and not compensate landlords' for losses in general.

These provisions however only address temporary issues caused by the pandemic, and aren't a permanent solution to housing insecurity. Housing and rental costs across the country have skyrocketed in recent months and the pandemic has increased homelessness across the country; cities across the country are grappling with a rise in encampments, which has prompted public backlash and police-led sweeps............

Article on the coming eviction crisis
==========================
Two weeks ago, a federal court in Washington, DC ruled that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) overstepped its authority in issuing a nationwide eviction moratorium and threw it out. The Justice Department announced that it would appeal the verdict and the judge has allowed the moratorium to remain in place while litigation continues. Still, the ruling has caused chaos across the country, as tenants grapple with the possibility of being evicted during the pandemic.

In addition to the CDC moratorium, the country has been covered with a patchwork of state, county, and city-level bans on evictions. However, despite these protections - and thanks in part to a system of loopholes - thousands have been evicted over the last year of the pandemic. The chaos caused by this ruling has only reaffirmed the need for Congress to act and pass real relief for tenants. It's time to cancel rent..........

As cases, deaths, and hospitalizations decrease in the coming weeks, politicians may use this opportunity to declare the pandemic over and rescind the moratoriums. While the moratoriums need to be extended for the considerable future, they do not address the accumulating amount of unpaid rent that is piling up for those who are at risk of eviction. By this month, 7 million renters in America will collectively owe $40 billion in unpaid rent - these unpaid fees will kick off a cascade of evictions once the moratoriums expire.

This is why Congress needs to act to not only pass a lengthy moratorium but also to cancel outstanding rent so that tenants are not evicted once that moratorium expires.

Representative Ilhan Omar has proposed a bill that would do just that. The Rent and Mortgage Cancellation Act wouldn't just cancel all missed rental and mortgage payments, it would also cause missed payments to have no effect on people's credit scores. Additionally, it would establish a fund that would allow landlords and mortgage holders to recuperate their losses, providing both owners and renters with a win-win situation. Since some landlords have been evicting tenants throughout this period, it would be important that such a fund reward landlords who have not evicted tenants and not compensate landlords' for losses in general.

These provisions however only address temporary issues caused by the pandemic, and aren't a permanent solution to housing insecurity. Housing and rental costs across the country have skyrocketed in recent months and the pandemic has increased homelessness across the country; cities across the country are grappling with a rise in encampments, which has prompted public backlash and police-led sweeps............

Unless the landlords receive what they are owed by tenants, I don't see cancellation of rent as being a viable solution to this. It has to address both sides of the transaction. If Congress wants this, they have to make both sides of the transaction whole, imo.

About 3% of India has received the vaccine. That's still like 39 million people (just going off the percentage), but out of 1.3 Billion (or 1300 million, if that's easier to see)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom