COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (18 Viewers)

Really? Really? Are you advocating killing someone for a differing opinion? Of course, Twitter suspensions are now a benchmark of guilt. JHC.
I agree it sounded bad. I certainly do not advocate killing a person. I went back an edited my post. IIRCC, Instagram also banned his account.

I really think he meant stopping him from spreading falsehoods even if it means cutting his access to a popular social platform.

As far as guilt goes, that's basic education. If you start parroting claims that the Saints have never won a SuperBowl, you're wrong. It's not an opinion. Because you disagree with the truth doesn't entitle you to spread lies.
Yes that's what I meant. I should have used better wording though .

The barriers are going to be quite the logistical problem for many companies to deal with. A lot of them were installed haphazardly(Target is a good example, going to be some terrible sharp edges all over when they take it down). Not to mention the disposal of all the hardware used to build all those barriers.

This is going to create a lot of logistical nightmares for larger companies.
You assume they'll be removed. They may very well keep them.

You assume they'll be removed. They may very well keep them.
And why not? Lots of folks work at jobs with very low salaries having limited health benefits and vacation time. In other words, they may go to work when they probably shouldn't due to having low level colds and the like.. Keeping the barriers could thwart exchanges of ugly little microbes between cashiers, for example, and purchasers.

I just think its so gross that anyone would say "XYZ needs to be silenced"

Agreed, part of living in a free society means you welcome not only dissenting voices, but you must also allow uninformed voices to speak. You cannot pick and choose who you allow to speak or have their voices heard.

Because at that point, you then will have to have other people deciding who can say what.

It's not my call, but if it was, I'd be sending excess vaccine supply from the US to central and South America.

I'm not sure which countries, outside of probably Brazil have the most US visitors, but we need to work on our side of the globe.

Recall, it's winter south of the equator.

1623079117955.png

Agreed, part of living in a free society means you welcome not only dissenting voices, but you must also allow uninformed voices to speak. You cannot pick and choose who you allow to speak or have their voices heard.

Because at that point, you then will have to have other people deciding who can say what.
Let's save this argument for another thread.

I agree in general about all voices. However, no one has a right to be on a platform that amplifies their message. It's not a requirement to be on facebook, instagram, twitter, this site, the NY Times, NBC news, FOX News, CNN, MSNBC, etc...

More people have access to the first few mentioned sites, and access starts to dwindle for the traditional 'amplified' messages of TV, Radio, Newspapers, etc.

Otherwise, we'd all have free access to the Emergency Broadcast Network.

Just my opinion... Every time a voice of opposition/conspiracy/misinformation/etc. is banned/silenced/removed/canceled from a public position or platform to convey their message... All it does is make them right in the eyes of their followers.... "See, I am right, That's why they are canceling me"!

The way to fight all misinformation is overwhelming public proof - and Indisputable information being provided they can't publicly or possibly respond to... without backtracking or looking like fools (I realize that won't convince everyone - but nothing will ever convince everyone)

Not sure when people will actually learn this.

Overall the US is still trending in the right direction. Texas, is starting to eek up a bit, though. The good of that is that they're still hovering around all time lows. The bad is that it's going back up, but slowly.

It could also be that the quick blip downwards was more due to an absence of testing/reporting during the Memorial Day Holiday weekend.

1623079751443.png

1623079810536.png

So, small nitpick. Overall, looks like we're trending in the right direction still.

1623079915837.png

Small uptick in Pfizer, especially compared to the drop in Moderna.

Looks like it's probably 12-15yr olds.

1623080050457.png

Look like we're settling into this 1million per day range.

1623080088480.png

The concern is how many smaller counties don't have high 65+ vaccination rates.

The color code is set too high. Many of the light colored areas may be 60%, but many are also 25-35%. There may be some error in this data, since some states have up to 10-18% of their vaccinated not responding what county they're from.

1623080433255.png

Except that hasn't remotely worked.
At the risk of further derailing the thread, the problem is that we can't agree on what the facts are in many cases. It's as though there are facts and "alternative facts." I have never seen anything like the situation we have today. It seems that red can be green, water can be dry, 2+2 can add up to 5, and there was no pass interference on Robey-Coleman (not a matter of opinion in my view).

Now, misinformation needs to be corrected. For instance, there are real questions about early WHO, CDC, NIH, etc. reactions early in the pandemic--mainly due to the FACT that this was a NOVEL virus. "Novel" means "new." But so many people can't understand that long-range effects of the vaccine, for example, CANNOT be determined because it's impossible to calculate. And they can't grasp the concept that early reactions were "seat of the pants" because there was no history and therefore no data at the beginning. There is no issue of misinformation here. One can't evaluate a situation that is so new that there is no data or history unless one just guesses right--and that is not very scientific or reliable.

Misinformation abounds today. It seems as though anyone can assert anything, and the most bizarre and ridiculous pronouncements can and are regarded as fact. "I saw it on television." "I read it on Twitter"--therefore, it must be true. We used to joke about people seeing stuff on the internet--therefore, said stuff must be true. It's not a joke now; it's taken as fact, regardless of how outlandish. Until we can agree on what the facts are, we are destined to remain in this quagmire of conflict. And--to get finally to the point--that's the problem with the argument that if we just present the facts, then we can find the solutions--whereas, we can't even agree on what the facts are.

I do wonder if Covid was more serious for children if that would have changed anything in masking and distancing

if kids were getting hospitalized and dying would a lot of the craziness have still happened
If we keep goofing around, we might find out.

Without herd immunity the virus will have plenty of opportunities to evolve into a version that feasts on children.

If we keep goofing around, we might find out.

Without herd immunity the virus will have plenty of opportunities to evolve into a version that feasts on children.
What should we be doing? More lockdowns???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom