COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

No one wanted to get into the process of making people prove they are vaccinated, to be allowed to not wear a mask.

The problem with the honor system we have is that millions of Americans have no honor.
As my high school chemistry and physics teacher would say, "The teachers have the honor, and the kids have the system."

BTW, AZ is already having kids go back to school. They start earlier.

Let's see how this goes...

I highly doubt that vaccinated people are the problem. I personally don’t think vaccinated people really need to wear masks, because I’m not convinced that they are at any higher risk of dying from COVID than your average person during flu season. Even with delta...the death rate is incredibly low in vaccinated individuals.

If there is a gripe...it is that by allowing vaccinated people to not wear masks it encouraged businesses to loosen their broad mask wearing protocols...so more unvaccinated people got it and a percentage of those died.
The problem with vaccinated people not wearing masks is that they can still transmit it to unvaccinated people...who aren't wearing masks. I'm vaccinated, as is my elderly father who I'm caring for, and I mask whenever I go to the store for lots of reasons...I don't want to pick it up from someone and pass it on to someone is the biggest reason.

I have yet to see a convincing study that shows significant morbidity in individuals who are vaccinated that get COVID.
Over 50 may be interesting.

Posted something in one of these threads that the median age of vaccinated that died was 86.

So, I think thr elderly should still proceed with caution. Even Faucci had said he still masks up depending on the relative risk, because he's old.

Over 50 may be interesting.

Posted something in one of these threads that the median age of vaccinated that died was 86.

So, I think thr elderly should still proceed with caution. Even Faucci had said he still masks up depending on the relative risk, because he's old.
An 86 year old can die if you breath in their direction the wrong way. The fact that the average age of death is so insanely high...well beyond life expectancy...sort of tells the story.

The problem with vaccinated people not wearing masks is that they can still transmit it to unvaccinated people...who aren't wearing masks. I'm vaccinated, as is my elderly father who I'm caring for, and I mask whenever I go to the store for lots of reasons...I don't want to pick it up from someone and pass it on to someone is the biggest reason.
If you have someone close to you that you care about that either won’t or can’t get vaccinated...I completely get it. I don’t have anyone like that in my life...so the benefit of wearing a mask seems minimal. I still carry the mask around with me and wear it when I’m asked or in very crowded situations, though.

An 86 can die if you breath in their direction the wrong way. The fact that the average age of death is so insanely high...well beyond life expectancy sort of tells the story.
That tells us that COVID is especially lethal to the elderly, not that 86 year olds are all about to die anyway.

For one thing, it's comparing a median (age of death from COVID) to a mean (life expectancy from birth), and the mean is skewed; most people outlive that life expectancy (i.e. the median age of death is typically a few years higher than the mean).

And for another. the life expectancy of an 86 year old is also naturally higher than the life expectancy from birth. The death probability of an 86 year old in the USA is around 10.9% (men)/8.3% (women), and the life expectancy of an 86 year old in the USA is five and a half years for men, six and a half years for women. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

That tells us that COVID is especially lethal to the elderly, not that 86 year olds are all about to die anyway.

For one thing, it's comparing a median (age of death from COVID) to a mean (life expectancy from birth), and the mean is skewed; most people outlive that life expectancy (i.e. the median age of death is typically a few years higher than the mean).

And for another. the life expectancy of an 86 year old is also naturally higher than the life expectancy from birth. The death probability of an 86 year old in the USA is around 10.9% (men)/8.3% (women), and the life expectancy of an 86 year old in the USA is five and a half years for men, six and a half years for women. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html
Everything is especially lethal in someone 86

Another caveat with using total Covid data is that it reflects rates of severity and mortality across all strains, with a great deal of it being associated with the ancestral strain, pre-variant. But that's not really indicative of the current rates of severity and mortality if the present dominant variant has higher rates of severity and mortality than its predecessors. To evaluate current and future risk, you have to isolate batches of more recent data, providing you have enough to be statistically relevant.

But again, using rate of death as the key data point is going to under-appreciate the impact of the virus in a given community and on infected individuals. Rates of hospitalization and rates of longer term impact have to be included to get a more complete picture of impact.

According to the text I just got, Louisiana is reporting 5,388 new cases, the 3rd highest daily count since the pandemic started. Yall, we went from a flat line to the 3rd highest daily in less than three weeks?!?

According to the text I just got, Louisiana is reporting 5,388 new cases, the 3rd highest daily count since the pandemic started. Yall, we went from a flat line to the 3rd highest daily in less than three weeks?!?

no one likes over-achievers.

ST. Tammany pushing a 12% positivity rate- Tangi/E Baton Rouge 17%.

good lawd folks.

Doug B:
Anyone have the skinny on mask usage in rural Tangipahoa and St. Helena Parishes? Thinking Amite, Monpelier, and points west.

The family has been itching to get out of the house. My wife saw an ad for the Cajun Country Corn Maze online (Facebook, I'm sure). It's about 8 miles west of Montpelier in St. Helena Parish.

So we drive (from the West Bank of Jefferson Parish) an hour and half up there. We finally make it, and we can see from our car the crowd for the maze and other activities. No one in masks. Yes, outdoors, and maybe not as dense as a Mardi Gras parade crowd ... but pretty darn dense.

Not a mask in sight.

So, after driving all that way, we don't even get out of the car. A quick poll of the family reveals that no one feels comfortable going to the corn maze, so we turn around in their parking lot and leave.

We make our way back to I-55 and drive to Hammond, planning to eat at Carreta's not too far from SLU. They have outdoor seating, but a little too dense, and no one really in a mask. People parking and walking to all the other nearby restaurants ... no one in masks. No one in masks. No one in masks.

Welp. Scratch Carreta's. Ended up eating in our car at a Sonic a few blocks north of Hwy 190 in Hammond (close to Target, Best Buy, etc.). Actually stopped at that Best Buy to shop a bit -- hardcore on the mask requirements, everyone in masks, no issues.

So ... what's the deal up there? Everyone's "back to normal" at restaurants in Hammond? The rural parts of Tangipahoa and St. Helena just aren't doing COVID?
Northshore is 1-2 months away from getting spanked hard by the virus

'Better' late than never? :(

As my high school chemistry and physics teacher would say, "The teachers have the honor, and the kids have the system."
The honor code in our fraternity was "Yes, your honor" "No, your honor" :hihi:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom