COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (23 Viewers)

Just to clarify, the second dose for the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are not boosters, but rather the second of 2 doses of the same vaccine, right? It's not really a booster.

And yeah, if a different vaccine has to be developed for the variant, it wouldn't be a booster but rather a full dose or regimen for the variant. So another Covid vaccine.

I appreciate the tip because when I was reading booster, I was thinking to myself that the term was probably not correct.

The second shot is a booster. They go hand-in-hand and to achieve 'full vaccination' you should get the second one, but the first delivers the mRNA instruction that jump starts the immunity process, and the second delivers the booster to make it last.

Vaccines are one of the biggest public health achievements in the last century. And the COVID-19 vaccine will be added to that list. The two FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech, require two doses to achieve immunity: a prime shot and a booster shot.

The first two vaccines to earn authorization — those developed by Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech, and Moderna — use messenger RNA (mRNA) to instruct the body to build the coronavirus’ signature spike protein. The body then produces antibodies to combat the Coronavirus when it enters the body.

The first dose helps your body create an immune response, while the second dose is a booster that strengthens your immunity to the virus.

The second shot is a booster. They go hand-in-hand and to achieve 'full vaccination' you should get the second one, but the first delivers the mRNA instruction that jump starts the immunity process, and the second delivers the booster to make it last.

Thanks. I wasn't entirely clear on the second doses. But that makes more sense now.

I had Covid in Sept last year, and i got the J&J shot in April.
1624915078423.png
We simply don't know yet. I've had the flu twice. That doesn't mean I can't catch it again. What will this virus do? Will it become stagnant or morph into different strains where we require a yearly vaccination?

Ward, what you're describing is not a booster. Even with articles and people who mean well there's a lot of misinformation that makes education really hard. You wouldn't get a booster for new variants. Similarly, you don't get a booster annually for flu shots. You're generally getting a new formulation every year. When you get a "booster" it's usually for bacterial diseases where immunity has weakened, chicken pox being a notable common exception. So new variants that are resistant to the current vaccine would mean another COVID vaccine, not a booster.

I only bring it up because these terms have meaning and the best we understand them and use them correctly, the better to fight misinformation and confusion.

Edit: And I fully realize that there are and will be traditionally legitimate nonscientific news sources using booster interchangeably with the need for a second COVID vaccine. Sigh... unfortunately they would be using the term wrong too.
I was being brief, but I hear you. To be fair, their research was primarily on the idea of if a 2nd booster, i.e. a third shot of the same formulation, would be needed to continue long term immunity.

Booster shot: An additional dose of a vaccine needed periodically to 'boost' the immune system. For example, a booster shot of the tetanus and diphtheria (Td) vaccine is recommended for adults every 10 years.

An additional dose of an immunizing agent, such as a vaccine or toxoid, given at a time after the initial dose to sustain the immune response elicited by the previous dose of the same agent. Also called booster dose.

Also, the research Pfizer is currently doing is on a third shot of the same formulation, i.e. another booster. They've also considered a slightly different formulation, and they've also considered adding the covid booster to different vaccines.

So, this research is seemingly showing that such a booster wouldn't be needed. And any additional shot, would be due to variants. And if I read this paper correctly, the regular boosters also help with variants, because the B cells were still 'learning'. So, perhaps it allows for broad protections?

If that's the case, then the J&J Shot will likely turn into a booster (2 dose) regiment for expanded protections.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/2021/05/24/pfizer-begins-testing-covid-19-booster-shot/

BTW, this is the paper. Click on download to get the whole thing with charts/data.

Overall looking good, but some small counties are having a harder time..

1624939816582.png

Oh, and Vegas is up a lot.

Vaccination numbers for 18+ and even 65+ are pretty darn low in those same hot spots.

1624940071880.png

1624940136655.png

Overall looking good, but some small counties are having a harder time..

1624939816582.png

Oh, and Vegas is up a lot.

Vaccination numbers for 18+ and even 65+ are pretty darn low in those same hot spots.

1624940071880.png

1624940136655.png
Jefferson county? What's the significance, if I may ask?

Jefferson county? What's the significance, if I may ask?
LOL, that's just where my mouse hit before the snip it tool popped up. So.. none.

Where I circle is where I'm trying to show.

I move kinda quick sometimes.

And it sucks, because my work finally blocked the site, so I can't really get on until I get home, or use my phone, which limits the graphics I can throw up. Oh well..

Cases have bounced in Charleston county. We were down to 3 cases on a 7-day moving average, but now up to 12.4.

Ugh

Cases have bounced in Charleston county. We were down to 3 cases on a 7-day moving average, but now up to 12.4.

Unfortunately, I guess we shouldn’t be all that surprised. Many still don’t want to take the vaccine and now that the country is pretty much fully open again, well…

Unfortunately, I guess we shouldn’t be all that surprised. Many still don’t want to take the vaccine and now that the country is pretty much fully open again, well…
It's just frustrating that people who have tried to do everything right may now be at risk again, due to potentially ignorant or selfish reasons.

It's just frustrating that people who have tried to do everything right may now be at risk again, due to potentially ignorant or selfish reasons.

I've read that if things get bad enough they may look at bringing back mask mandates, distancing etc.

But that option is getting a lot of pushback, but not from who you'd think

It's from the people who've done everything right this whole time

If there is a huge increase of people getting sick, getting hospitalized and dying and those people are all unvaccinated the attitude from some seems to be 'fork em'

And I can't say I don't understand it.

I've sacrificed for king and country, I masked, I distanced, I quarantined, I vaccinated and I'm supposed to go back to that because you refused to???

'Fork em' isn't an unreasonable response

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom