COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (11 Viewers)

I've read that if things get bad enough they may look at bringing back mask mandates, distancing etc.

But that option is getting a lot of pushback, but not from who you'd think

It's from the people who've done everything right this whole time

If there is a huge increase of people getting sick, getting hospitalized and dying and those people are all unvaccinated the attitude from some seems to be 'fork em'

And I can't say I don't understand it.

I've sacrificed for king and country, I masked, I distanced, I quarantined, I vaccinated and I'm supposed to go back to that because you refused to???

'Fork em' isn't an unreasonable response
For sure. My sentiments pretty much.

For sure. My sentiments pretty much.

I think it's the sentiment of a lot of people

But if it gets back to the point where thousands of people are dying again every day I think we'll go back to masking etc.

Why?

People who do the right thing do the right thing

We'll complain about it, but I think we'll do it

But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

Last edited:
I've read that if things get bad enough they may look at bringing back mask mandates, distancing etc.

But that option is getting a lot of pushback, but not from who you'd think

It's from the people who've done everything right this whole time

If there is a huge increase of people getting sick, getting hospitalized and dying and those people are all unvaccinated the attitude from some seems to be 'fork em'

And I can't say I don't understand it.

I've sacrificed for king and country, I masked, I distanced, I quarantined, I vaccinated and I'm supposed to go back to that because you refused to???

'Fork em' isn't an unreasonable response
rahrreh.jpg

It's just frustrating that people who have tried to do everything right may now be at risk again, due to potentially ignorant or selfish reasons.
They are not ignorant. They are stupid. Ignorance means you haven't had a chance to learn. Stupidity means you have and still can't learn. Ie, I'm ignorant on flying an airplane. I could if I received the proper training. These people are stupid because the knowledge is out there and they refuse to believe it.

They are not ignorant. They are stupid. Ignorance means you haven't had a chance to learn. Stupidity means you have and still can't learn. Ie, I'm ignorant on flying an airplane. I could if I received the proper training. These people are stupid because the knowledge is out there and they refuse to believe it.

I was being restrained, but I'd agree with you for the most part.

Spot on. The common theme I keep hearing and reading from the unvax'ed on why they won't get vax'ed, is because the vaccines were developed too fast. This is despite public statements that mRNA technology has been studied and worked on for over 20 years.

Spot on. The common theme I keep hearing and reading from the unvax'ed on why they won't get vax'ed, is because the vaccines were developed too fast. This is despite public statements that mRNA technology has been studied and worked on for over 20 years.
Yeah, it's a thoroughly debunked argument, yet people keep parroting that ignorant and/or stupid angle. People and their blind spots I guess. Idk.

Same basic hot spots in rural areas mostly. Also mostly ties into areas of low vaccination.

Screenshot_20210702-124931_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-124950_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-124826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210702-124527_Samsung Internet.jpg

Down overall, but still seeing spikes of new vaccinations.

It's a horrible attitude, but I wouldn't be opposed to shipping these anti-vaxxers to a location that isolates them from everyone else. Let them infect each other and enjoy their lives. I'm just sick and tired of putting up with their nonsense,which is both ignorant and stupid.

As per @DaveXA 's update request:

I am double-vaxxed, as of last week. First dose was Pfizer and second dose was Moderna - I signed up for the first mRNA that was available. I am feeling really good, now, but still waiting for that 2-week time to pass

Nationally, it's a mixed bag.

The Federal-level procurement program, which people were HAMMERING Trudeau for, has actually been hugely successful. Canada is now the most vaccinated country in the world. And the Feds are now getting a lot of credit for that. The problems continue to be at the provincial level.

Earlier this week, they had a vaccine station set up at the Leafs/Raptors Arena - and set a world record for vaccinations. Incredible!

scotiabank-area-record-most-covid-vaccine-doses-administered-26771.jpg

Out East, they have done a pretty incredible job - one of the most successful containment stories in the world. But they don't mess around. Something looks like it's about to pop, they mask up, hole up for a bit and it passes. In Ontario, we have Ford's incompetence to thank for the total mess of a rollout. The provincial portal is sloppily designed.

When I first signed up, it booked me for an appointment over an hour away, in a town about 50 miles north. Total mess.

Thankfully, we have a group of advocates and private citizens and developers who made a Twitter account - @VaccineHuntersCanada - and they are CONSTANTLY posting places that are giving out vaccines. ANd that's how I got mine - a pharmacy just 10 minutes away had 100 doses ready. Drove over. Only one there. In and out in 15 minutes. Super easy.

Out west/prairies, Alberta and Saskatchewan it's a struggle. Sask announced criteria to open fully, and haven't met it - but are opening anyway. And Alberta has been a total mess.

The big game changer here - like places in the US - is Delta. It's really tearing up communities. The Yukon was faring well, with good vaccination numbers, but is facing an outbreak. And, closer to here, there is a city called Kitchener-Waterloo (about 45 mins from me) that has had to except itself from a lot of provincial opening stages, because it's facing a bad outbreak of Delta.

You can see that data here: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

At the top, 'Vaccinations in United Kingdom', 'United Kingdom' is a drop down, click that and you can view vaccinations by nations, regions and local authority.

E.g. at the UK level, we're currently at 82.9% of adults (you'd have to extrapolate for population; under 18s aren't vaccinated at present) with one dose, 60.6% two doses. If you select 'nation', and England, you can see that figure is 82.6% and 60.7% respectively, and if you scroll down, you'll see a heatmap showing the uptake by age demographics over time as well.

And if you select 'local authority' and look at Manchester, you can see those figures are 58.4% and 35.4% respectively. The heatmap showing the uptake rate by age group over time is available here too. And in this view it also makes a 'vaccination uptake by area' table available (not sure why that isn't available at the top level).
I was trying to find age demographic data on the newer cases. I see it reported as younger people and also under 18.

Are there confirmed cases from those fully vaccinated? And if so, hospitalized?

I was trying to find age demographic data on the newer cases. I see it reported as younger people and also under 18.

The age demographic data for cases is in the regional heatmaps on the cases page. E.g. this should go to the cases page for England and the heatmap should be there (I say should, because it has vanished occasionally before coming back again). And you can drag to select an area to zoom in on the heatmap. This is the current heatmap showing the rolling 7-day rates over 1st May to 28 June:

heatmap20210703.png

So you can see it is dominated by younger people, especially 20-24, but the age bands either side also pretty significant. It's continuing to rise at the moment, because we don't have all that many restrictions in place, vaccination is effective but not magic, and we're also not yet vaccinating under 18s, schools are open in England for a few more weeks, and they lifted the use of masks in schools a while ago and haven't reintroduced it. (You might ask why not, considering that continuing rise in rates, and you wouldn't be alone in doing so).

Are there confirmed cases from those fully vaccinated? And if so, hospitalized?
Yes. I don't think there's data published on that on the dashboard, but I think it's in some of Public Health England's reports. E.g. the variants of concern technical briefings cover that data, since they're assessing vaccine effectiveness against variants. I think this is the most recent one, and this is a relevant table from it:

VoC-table4-20210703.png

The age demographic data for cases is in the regional heatmaps on the cases page. E.g. this should go to the cases page for England and the heatmap should be there (I say should, because it has vanished occasionally before coming back again). And you can drag to select an area to zoom in on the heatmap. This is the current heatmap showing the rolling 7-day rates over 1st May to 28 June:

heatmap20210703.png

So you can see it is dominated by younger people, especially 20-24, but the age bands either side also pretty significant. It's continuing to rise at the moment, because we don't have all that many restrictions in place, vaccination is effective but not magic, and we're also not yet vaccinating under 18s, schools are open in England for a few more weeks, and they lifted the use of masks in schools a while ago and haven't reintroduced it. (You might ask why not, considering that continuing rise in rates, and you wouldn't be alone in doing so).

Yes. I don't think there's data published on that on the dashboard, but I think it's in some of Public Health England's reports. E.g. the variants of concern technical briefings cover that data, since they're assessing vaccine effectiveness against variants. I think this is the most recent one, and this is a relevant table from it:

VoC-table4-20210703.png

Thanks, I was looking the other day, but was sort of randomly busy at work, so I had a hard time finding all the data I was looking for. I found some age stuff, but not what I'm used to seeing.

Looking at that age data, it looks like 19 and under is almost half of the cases. So, not being able to be vaccinated is a large %. The 20-29 is probably young 'adults' who think they're invincible and may or may not be vaccinated.

The Delta Confirmed cases chart is interesting. Clearly there is some missing data, i.e. what vaccine, overall health...

However, Good news, is seems like only 7.86% of Delta cases were fully vaccinated. At least 58% is documented as unvaccinated, while the rest is either one dose in, or unknown.

For those vaccinated, the age is split pretty even between over 50 and under 50. So, no real bias there. For the unvaccinated who got Delta, it's almost all under 50.

Using that first hospital row, only 2.6% of all Delta cases required an ER visit (might be an undercount). However, only 0.8% of all cases required an overnight stay. That's good. Most of them were under 50 and unvaccinated.

Of that 2.6% that went to the ER, only 7.9% were vaccinated folks. So, the vast majority are unvaccinated.

Every single death of a vaccinated person was over the age of 50. 50 people died who were vaccinated (from the last 28 days), and 38 over the age of 50 died who were unvaccinated.

Before anyone makes a stupid comment, you have to look at the numbers. Remember, 3546 vaccinated people over the age of 50 had the delta variant. While only 976 for those over 50 and unvaccinated. i.e. not many people over the age of 50 are unvaccinated. So, 50 deaths out of 3546 cases is 1.4%, or delta ER cases over the age of 50 who were vaccinated, died. Significant still. Unvaccinated, that's 38 deaths out of 976 cases in that age group, which is 3.9%. And we don't know if it's the exact same age distribution, or if the 976 unvaccinated are a bit younger (i.e. 50-60, vs 70-80). So, over 50 and unvaccinated, you have a 2.8 times higher chance of dying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom