COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (11 Viewers)

I have passing moments like that. We really are nearing a strange dystopia.

I have them also, and to be honest, we are extremely lucky. We retired in 2019 well before this all started, I've been getting a ton of exercise, probably in the best shape I've been in 25 years. But I get very uneasy feelings from time to time, they pass but for some reason they are getting more frequent....not complaining at all...I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be a teacher or a health care worker today....

Mine is already shot and we don't get kids back for almost 3 weeks thanks to a delayed reopening (we were originally to start this week). Full disclosure, I was already in a pretty shaky state of mental health before the pandemic and have pretty much cratered since March, but its now even 10 times worse beyond that as we approach going back. Especially as it becomes obvious how unworkable and unsustainable our plans are.
I think about you from time to time remembering the struggles you’ve discussed at times in here
- I just wish you all the peace and health you can manage at this point

Mental health thing:

I really don't have mental health issues. I don't deal with depression or anxiety or anything like that.

But today I was walking through Wal-Mart today to quickly pick up an item. As I walked through, I saw everyone wearing masks and going about their business and people who accidentally came too close quickly moving out of my way. I suddenly had an overwhelming sense of sadness. I almost started crying right in the middle of Wal-Mart. In my head I kept thinking "It's not supposed to be this way. This isn't normal."

I think I'm a pretty strong person. But I also think it's just how long this has gone on and how much of life has changed that is starting to wear me down.
‘Normal’ seems to be something we create
Life is full of variation and we construct ways/lifestyles that help ‘stabilize’ many of the ups and downs
Then we have things like 9/11 or Katrina or Covid (or even job loss or health problems or graduations or kids being born or whatever) and our construct runs right up against reality

The biggest shame of all of this (aside from those dealing with passings or their own compromised health) is if we tried too hard to get back to ‘normal’ and completely missed the opportunity to adapt to these challenges

The weirdest part for me is that all of this has been pretty easy for me. I’m an introvert and really have a hard time interacting with people I don’t know very well. This whole pandemic thing was tailor made for a guy like me. I get to keep my distance without coming across as an arse.
I sympathize with all of you that are struggling.

Mine is already shot and we don't get kids back for almost 3 weeks thanks to a delayed reopening (we were originally to start this week). Full disclosure, I was already in a pretty shaky state of mental health before the pandemic and have pretty much cratered since March, but its now even 10 times worse beyond that as we approach going back. Especially as it becomes obvious how unworkable and unsustainable our plans are.

I cant imagine.

I have never had anxiety issued in my 49 years.

In March, i had for about 3 weeks. Luckily my best friend had just gotten thru panic/anxiety just a year or two before so i had a sounding board to bounce what was happening in my head.

It has since gone away, but i remember the thoughts of uncontrollable "what ifs" and that gut feeling of something bad is about to happen.

I had to get off this thread for a few weeks, stopped twitter reports/media reports just to quell the tide of bad vibes.

Good luck man. Best wishes to all those having to deal with this.

Being in Telluride for almost a week has been therapeutic. I read this board a bit but watched no TV and barely kept up with the news. Everyone was wearing masks and most restaurants allowed no indoor dining, so the reminder was there. We dined out 3 times and it was actually nice. Twice we sat outside and the 3rd was the rehearsal dinner where we sat inside and were the only patrons inside. We know we have increased our chances of getting Covid from this trip and wedding. The largest group we were in was inside the church where there were about 35 people all distanced
with no singing. Tomorrow it’s back to reality as we drive home today and get home around midnight tonight. School starts for my wife on Thursday, which is mostly virtual staff meetings/training but they have to attend from their classrooms.

Mental health thing:

I really don't have mental health issues. I don't deal with depression or anxiety or anything like that.

But today I was walking through Wal-Mart today to quickly pick up an item. As I walked through, I saw everyone wearing masks and going about their business and people who accidentally came too close quickly moving out of my way. I suddenly had an overwhelming sense of sadness. I almost started crying right in the middle of Wal-Mart. In my head I kept thinking "It's not supposed to be this way. This isn't normal."

I think I'm a pretty strong person. But I also think it's just how long this has gone on and how much of life has changed that is starting to wear me down.
I'm not a real looker back on things but I watched Goo goo Dolls video Name. Just seeing the scene of Johnny Reznick getting on bus with people gave me a sense of nostalgia. One I remember that video from my high school days. Two, this seems far removed away from the days of Covid.

Now it seems abnormal to be in public without a mask.

I've been dealing with depression and anger. I get mad at willful ignorance. I get some people just aren't very bright and they can't help it. Those that do know the difference and have been spreading misinformation for personal gain can all go sleep in the railroad tracks. Those people are responsible for deaths, economic destruction, massive amounts of debt, etc, etc. They are evil people and it just surprised me just how many there were and that's coming from someone that is super cynical.

The depression comes from working so hard towards my goals only to have them stomped on. It comes from understanding the fundamental macro economy we are leaving my kids.

There has been some saying young kids don’t catch and spread the disease. These two studies suggest otherwise.
That agrees with the Texas daycare spike from a couple of weeks ago which "mysteriously" happened about three to four weeks after Texas dropped the restrictions (mid June) that they had been operating under. Iirc, it was posted here but I could be mistaken.

There was never a better time to be an introvert.

I used to be filled with regret that I'm wasting my life by going through the motions while waiting to die.

Now I'm not only comfortable with it, I'm happy. I got rid of social media years ago because the people who I know are so disgusting. Now I know that it isn't just them. It's almost everybody. Bring on the giant meteor, Yosemite eruption, or nuclear war.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom