COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (9 Viewers)

Yeah, people suck at math. I have issues with some members of my own household.

Similarly, when vaccine skeptics focus on countries that have had (or have) high case rates despite also having high vaccination rates, like Israel and Britain, and compare them unfavorably with the United States, they never mention that these other countries test far more than the United States does. That means that those countries identify many more infections than the United States does, and that their larger per capita caseloads are largely an artifact of testing. This summer, for instance, Southern states with low rates of vaccination had much higher positive test rates than Israel did, suggesting that their coronavirus infection rate was much higher as well. But because they were testing so much less, the states’ case counts looked better. And so the most common social media refrain from vaccine skeptics in July and August was “What about Israel?,” not “What about Tennessee and Mississippi?”

This sheet is never going to end. It's depressing. There's no light at the end of the tunnel. Not vaccines. Not lockdowns. None of it seems to work or matter.

This sheet is never going to end. It's depressing. There's no light at the end of the tunnel. Not vaccines. Not lockdowns. None of it seems to work or matter.
It certainly seems that way; the minute you put your guard down it comes roaring back. I have managed not to contract covid, but I am very anti social. The most risky thing I have done is go see the Saints in Seattle. The game was outside and we were both fully vaccinated, plus we were on row A!

It is disheartening, no doubt, but I feel like things have improved drastically. Will it ever completely end? No, probably not for quite some time, but vaccinations are absolutely working. Even that article indicates that to be the case. We already know that most hospitalizations are unvaccinated people. Plus, there are some therapeutics on the near horizon that will help. Will we need to continue to be mindful by wearing masks, distancing, staying up on vaccines, etc? Yes, but I'm just focusing on me and mine in that regard. Would it be nice to go back to how we lived a couple years ago? Of course. I realize that different people have different tolerances for how this whole situation is going, but Sun, I hope that you can see the positives in all this and not be completely down about it. It's good to vent, though, so if you need another person to vent toward, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to listen.

There’s a couple of things at ply, and the worst part is trying to find a non hysterical fact based source that you can actually read and rely on. I mean we all know the vaccines work. Now there is research saying vaccinated can spread, yet some that say while yes it’s possible, in actuality it’s not very likely. So which is it? The numbers showing declining protection with vaccines. Ok, but is it because with testing they keep finding low level basically allergy/common cold or even a symptomatic, and if it is do we even care about those?

I for one am getting tired of all this. I’ve been doing everything as I should, but really am starting to get tired of it. Where’s the brightness for the people who are vaccinated? Oh yeah that doesn’t sell fear and panic.

Honestly though here in a couple of months now that kids can be vaccinated and boosters are available, I say throw the doors open and let’s just do. If the antivaxers want to die, let’s give them what they want. Herman Cain awards wait

I completely, whole-heartedly disagree and absolutely hate this mindset. I'll also change that mindset with this giant post.

We are no longer in a dark tunnel, we are the light entering the tunnel. Vaccinations that reduce the risk of severe illness by 10-200x depending on the age group. Treatments that reduce deaths by 15-90% that can be stacked on top of each other. If you're vaccinated the flu is statistically deadlier, longer lasting and more painful. This is just the final progression stages towards endemic. It'll take our minds a decade to accept that covid is just like the flu, strep throat, bronchitis, sinus infection, common cold, RSV and other adenoviruses that constantly circulate the globe. The pinnacle for a virus, like a parasite, is to spread as quickly as possible, not cause major symptoms and certainly not death. Evolution is going to continue to push variants that are more contagious to the forefront but are limited to small changes that are unable to escape the grasp of the vaccines. Given that Delta and Delta+ are already pushing on the upper end of contagion levels of any virus it dosn't appear it has a whole lot of room left to become increasingly infectious which means the next step in evolution is likely to become less deadly at the same time humans gain increased immunity.

With the exception of people with extreme autoimmune disorders Covid is just going to become a nuissance. Even in the 75+ age group that are vaccinated covid will decreasingly continue to cause some deaths, very simlar to the flu and likely at a similar infection fatality rate.

If you look at the progression in just 18 months of the case fatality rate of covid it's pretty obvious where this is heading. Back in the spring of 2020 when Wuhan, Italy and New York became a morticians gold mine, the fatality rate has plummeted. It started in that 3-5% death rate as covid ripped through vulnerable populations with no protection and limited testing that took weeks to get results. People were treated by getting thrown on a ventilator and no therapeutics were available. Then it quicky fell to around 2% when vulnerable populations became better protected, it was discovered that patients do better by not going on a ventilator and put in the prone position. It fell a little more when we realized light physical exercise mixed in with rest instead of just rest helped prognosis. Then it fell a little more when it was realized that early treatment with steroids helped. Then it fell a little more with monoclonal antibodies, then it fell a little more when all these factors created a comprehensive treatment plan combining all of the above dropping the fatality rate down to around 1%. In one year advances in health care and science cut the death rate in half, twice. That covers everyone.

Next, the vaccines came out. It took that case fatality rate from 1% to .1% with the .1% nearly exclusively being deaths in the elderly population. .1% is the same as the seasonal flu. If you go off Israel's data which includes a vastly superior testing regime to identify more cases, that number drops even lower to .1% and falls all the way to non-zero for under 50 population. You will likely never personally know a vaccinated person under the age of 50 that dies from covid the rest of your life. The flu now becomes more deadly. Data is also beginning to show the vaccine offers substantial protection against maming. Things like long covid, post covid clotting, stroke and rapid onset dementia.

The future looks even more promising. The next step is widely available therapeutics that offer a high rate of cure against death and severe illness. The therapeutics alone are progged to drop the death rate in the unvaccinated to similar levels to that of seasonal flu. Therapeutics on top of vaccination in the elderly should bring that death rate to really low levels. In the vaccinated 50 and under group therapeutics probably wont have much of an impact on deaths since they are already so few it's just statistical static but they will help against symptomiatic disease. For the auto immunity groups therapeutics should be huge but that data is probably a long way away to say with certainty.

As more people get vaccinated and more people get some form of natural immunity on a global level then the case numbers are likely to begin to plummet. I really think that starts to happen after this next wave this fall. It's really easy to look at the numbers and think that everything listed above is not having a huge impact because we see these huge case numbers and huge death tolls. You can't look at just the data because it's highly skewed by human behavior. There is far more chance of infection when not locked up, not wearing masks, going to bars and restaurants, schools wide open, going to concerts and football games, traveling the world and everything going back to normal with little to no restrictions, more testing, less people dying at home, less undiagnosed or misdiagnosed deaths, etc. The unvaccinated also introduce a massive amount of white noise into the stats. I really wish every dashboard and accounting of Covid numbers and deaths would include vaccinated and unvaccinated at this point because it really is apples and oranges. The most recent data is also doing an about face in regards to spread. For over a year children weren't really responsible for a whole lot of spread. As adults got vaccinated and children did not, they recently became the most common vector of spread. That is about to start changing due to children being vaccinated, even if it is likely to start slow and increase slowly it will help. At some point in the near future I would also expect that the covid vaccine will become part of the standard vaccination process for infants as well.

That all happened in 18 months. Science and technology did in 18 months what used to take decades and even centuries to do just a few generations ago. There is still so much research being done, capx investments and government funding pouring into the bio and pharma industries that advances will continue to happen at a rapid pace even if all that investment stopped today.

Now, the really good news. All this investment into the bio and pharma sectors will likely result in some major spillover breakthroughs. The technology breakthroughs that are MRNA vaccines will be significant markers in history. Children centuries from now will be learning about it school. It will be taught like pasturization, smallpox and polio vaccines. It will be triumphed. We are about to see vaccines hit so many diseases that have been around forever and they are going to come at a rate of progress that was unimaginable just a couple years ago. The next coronavirus pandemic, a vaccine will likely be able to be made in a matter of a few hours or days through the combination of gene mapping, ai and machine learning. The flu is likely to be eradicated by vaccine in the next decade for developed countries. Next, things like alzheimers, cancer, erectile dysfunction, restless leg syndrome, post-hormonal bitchiness and genetic diseases will start to fall with a combination of DNA mapping, MRNA vaccines and technology. advances tied to covid funding. Pharma has progressed more with antivirals in the last 18 months than it did in the last century. They are on the verge of unlocking the secrets to treat viruses in a way that antibiotics treated bacteria. We're talking about massive leaps in medicine taking place.

Globally, covid will go down in history similar to that of the great depression, world wars and it will be a significant marker in history's timeline but the progress driven by covid will ultimately save far more lives than the deaths it caused.

It is my hope, that the world is able to see covid as an endemic respiratory virus like the flu or RSV in the coming year intead of a decade of covid dread. It is my hope that the world can see the results of international cooperation and the infusion of capx and government funding to address a far bigger threat than Covid ever will. It is my hope, we throw everything we have at climate change and allow science and technology to solve this problem before it is too late. I really think we are on that road. Ironically, I think the day Trump took the podium at a rally and called Covid a hoax as Italy was getting overwhelmed and shortly after lockdowns and mass death began in NYC that he indirectly did more for climate change in the USA than anyone in history. The hoax that he called covid instantly became associated with the hoax called climate change and opinions in the country took a dramatic shift. Covid has laid out the blueprint for us to address climate change. While you can see the early steps of that trying to be crafted in US policy, it is even more apparent in global policy.

Not only is covid over for the majority of people, it will end up being a net positive for mankind despite the media headlines you are going to read for the next 3 months. It is unfortunate the poor, underrepresented and uneducated will continually be killed by a small but vocal portion of elite politicians, propaganda networks and religous psychopaths who have all been vaccinated. It is my hope those people go down in history much in the way Benedict Arnold is remembered. It is also my hope that it results in long term changes in representation but I'm far less confident in that outcome. However, the sooner we can see covid as just another respiratory disease, the sooner covid loses it's polarization and the sooner those idiots will focus on the next hot topic.

In conclusion (my opinion), if you think covid is never going to end and is depressing at this stage it is not covid but your mindset leading you down that road.

Last edited:
We, as a whole, have become too selfish. We are unable to do things that are for the good of others. As a result, we're being culled. We deserve it. It'll continue until the selfish are gone, or we all are.

What I don't understand is choosing to risk dying in the way that COVID takes you. It's a nightmare.

Hard to Guage with the article mostly sticking to % change. I didn't see good hospitalization numbers.

Cases aren't as meaningful as a measure now.

Look at the countries with high vaccination rates. The death per million is very low. Just wish they had a hospitalization chart too.

Screenshot_20211114-115821_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hard to Guage with the article mostly sticking to % change. I didn't see good hospitalization numbers.

Cases aren't as meaningful as a measure now.

Look at the countries with high vaccination rates. The death per million is very low. Just wish they had a hospitalization chart too.

Screenshot_20211114-115821_Samsung Internet.jpg
Definitely. Cases aren't counted equally across the board, whether country to country, or even state to state. Hospitalizations are indeed a much better indicator.

I agree with Brandon. Covid is essentially over for those who are vaccinated unless the individual has an underlying condition that significantly weakens the immune system.

There's definitely hope for those who are staying on top of this.

Several of my family members got Covid after being vaccinated. We all had mild symptoms for a day or two. That's it.

It my not be the same for everyone, but it definitely worked for us. We'll be getting the booster before long as well.

Trevor Bedford, brilliant virologist who has been studying the virus since very early on and who has won scientific awards for his work on it, has been posting some outstanding observation.

The gist is that Delta represented the virus's ideal evolution - and as a matter of viral genome, all of the virus circulating in the world now is Delta. While it is possible that some new variant could emerge and present new problems, the viral development appears to have stabilized with Delta, and has been stable for many months now.

This supports the idea that we have already been transitioning to endemic rather than pandemic and this bodes well for the various immunity platforms we have developed. Note in his final tweet of the batch, he says that viruses will always seek "immune escape" so he's not saying that we won't see some new challenge, but the lasting stability of the virus's structure means that a new variant like Delta is unlikely.

Here are some of the highlights:

Note however, that an endemic SARS-CoV-2 can still kill tens of thousands of Americans annually.

Trevor Bedford, brilliant virologist who has been studying the virus since very early on and who has won scientific awards for his work on it, has been posting some outstanding observation.

The gist is that Delta represented the virus's ideal evolution - and as a matter of viral genome, all of the virus circulating in the world now is Delta. While it is possible that some new variant could emerge and present new problems, the viral development appears to have stabilized with Delta, and has been stable for many months now.

This supports the idea that we have already been transitioning to endemic rather than pandemic and this bodes well for the various immunity platforms we have developed. Note in his final tweet of the batch, he says that viruses will always seek "immune escape" so he's not saying that we won't see some new challenge, but the lasting stability of the virus's structure means that a new variant like Delta is unlikely.

Here are some of the highlights:

Note however, that an endemic SARS-CoV-2 can still kill tens of thousands of Americans annually.

Well, hell. An excess 40-100k deaths a year, mostly among the elderly. As I approach that cohort, such news does not exactly thrill me.

Well, hell. An excess 40-100k deaths a year, mostly among the elderly. As I approach that cohort, such news does not exactly thrill me.

But you'd agree that it's better than 750,000 deaths in 21 months.

It's not ideal but we have a vaccine, we have therapeutics, we have new tools in the late development phase, and we continue to gain treatment knowledge. Those estimates might end up being substantially high after couple more years of development.

My cousin got the booster two weeks ago and is now dealing with a litany of neurological problems. He is experiencing constant numbness in his hands and feet, elevated blood pressure, and significantly increased heartrate. Talked to him today and he was put on a beta blocker and blood pressure meds. He is 47 and was in good health and never had anything prior to this.

My cousin got the booster two weeks ago and is now dealing with a litany of neurological problems. He is experiencing constant numbness in his hands and feet, elevated blood pressure, and significantly increased heartrate. Talked to him today and he was put on a beta blocker and blood pressure meds. He is 47 and was in good health and never had anything prior to this.

Damn, that’s not good. Hope it resolves soon.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's all stuff that can be resolved. Make sure it gets reported.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom