COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (10 Viewers)

the damage the unvaccinated is causing beyond spreading covid
====================

The unvaccinated are killing people in ways they probably never imagined.
As the delta variant spreads, hospitals in Florida, Alabama and other states have been filling with covid patients, almost all of them people who chose not to get vaccinated.

As daily infections break records, intensive-care unit beds are scarce or nonexistent.
But the surge has also affected non-covid patients, such as the Texas shooting victim who had to wait more than a week for surgery. Louisiana stroke victims who can’t get admitted to hospitals. And the cancer patient I recently had to turn away.

On Aug. 3, I received a call from a hospital that does not have a cancer program. Such calls are routine at the regional referral center where I work.

A doctor at the outlying hospital had a patient with metastatic brain cancer. She was unable to walk, and without urgent radiation treatments there was no hope for any meaningful recovery.

Typically, I would authorize a transfer and start that patient’s treatment the same day. But conditions are no longer typical.
My hospital, one of the largest in central Florida, was full of covid patients, more than 90 percent of whom were unvaccinated. We had no beds available.

We had paused elective surgeries the previous week and have been trying to control the influx of patients.

Our emergency department had a 12-hour wait that day………

I have moved on from my "no sympathy" phase into the "intensely dislike" phase of my my Covid lethargy. I not only could care less, but I wish that when a medical emergency such as that in the story above occurs, they would be removed from their ICU bed to make room for those that give a damn about humanity.

ALSEA, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon school superintendent is telling parents they can get their children out of wearing masks by citing federal disability law. A pastor at a California megachurch is offering religious exemptions for anyone morally conflicted over vaccine requirements.

And Louisiana’s attorney general has posted sample letters on his office’s Facebook page for those seeking to get around the governor’s mask rules.

Across the U.S., religious figures, doctors, public officials and other community leaders are trying to help people circumvent COVID-19 precautions.

While proponents of these workarounds say they are looking out for children’s health and parents’ rights, others say such stratagems are dishonest and irresponsible and could undermine efforts to beat back the highly contagious delta variant.

Mask and vaccine requirements vary from state to state but often allow exemptions for certain medical conditions or religious or philosophical objections.

In Oregon, Superintendent Marc Thielman of the rural Alsea School District told parents they can sidestep the governor’s school mask requirement by applying for an accommodation for their children under federal disabilities law.

Thielman said he hit upon the idea after the governor’s mandate generated “huge, huge pushback” from parents.

“The majority of my parents are skeptical and are no longer believing what they’re told” about COVID-19, said Thielman, whose district in the state’s coastal mountains begins classes Monday. “I’ve got a majority of my parents saying, ‘Are there any options?’”………..

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Cheryl Simpson was supposed to be celebrating her 60th birthday over lunch with friends but instead found herself confined to her Auckland home.

The discovery of a single local COVID-19 case in New Zealand was enough for the government to put the entire country into strict lockdown this past week. While others might see that as draconian, New Zealanders generally support such measures because they worked so well in the past.

“I’m happy to go into lockdown, even though I don’t like it,” said Simpson, owner of a day care center for dogs that is now closed because of the precautions. She said she wants the country to crush the latest outbreak: “I’d like to knock the bloody thing on the head.”

Elsewhere around the Pacific, though, Japan is resisting such measures in the face of a record-breaking surge, instead emphasizing its accelerating vaccine program. And Australia has fallen somewhere in the middle.

All three countries got through the first year of the pandemic in relatively good shape but are now taking diverging paths in dealing with outbreaks of the delta variant, the highly contagious form that has contributed to a growing sense that the coronavirus cannot be stamped out, just managed.

Professor Michael Baker, an epidemiologist at New Zealand’s University of Otago, said countries around the world are struggling to adapt to the latest threat: “With the delta variant, the old rules just don’t work.”

The differing emphasis on lockdowns versus vaccines — and how effective such strategies prove to be in beating back the delta variant — could have far-reaching consequences for the three countries’ economies and the health of their citizens…….

ALSEA, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon school superintendent is telling parents they can get their children out of wearing masks by citing federal disability law. A pastor at a California megachurch is offering religious exemptions for anyone morally conflicted over vaccine requirements.

And Louisiana’s attorney general has posted sample letters on his office’s Facebook page for those seeking to get around the governor’s mask rules.

Across the U.S., religious figures, doctors, public officials and other community leaders are trying to help people circumvent COVID-19 precautions.

While proponents of these workarounds say they are looking out for children’s health and parents’ rights, others say such stratagems are dishonest and irresponsible and could undermine efforts to beat back the highly contagious delta variant.

Mask and vaccine requirements vary from state to state but often allow exemptions for certain medical conditions or religious or philosophical objections.

In Oregon, Superintendent Marc Thielman of the rural Alsea School District told parents they can sidestep the governor’s school mask requirement by applying for an accommodation for their children under federal disabilities law.

Thielman said he hit upon the idea after the governor’s mandate generated “huge, huge pushback” from parents.

“The majority of my parents are skeptical and are no longer believing what they’re told” about COVID-19, said Thielman, whose district in the state’s coastal mountains begins classes Monday. “I’ve got a majority of my parents saying, ‘Are there any options?’”………..

I don't get it. It's like people are pretending there isn't a pandemic going on. If your child legitimately can't wear a mask, make arrangements with the school to do remote learning or home school your kids. I'm sorry, but in a pandemic, tough shirt. The welfare of the community during the pandemic is more important right now.

I've got kids in school, and they're vaccinated and aren't complaining about wearing masks in school. It's a small sacrifice and tradeoff to get back to in person learning.

My youngest daughter's first day back in class is today. We'll see how it goes.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — It’s a neighborhood bar and restaurant, but for two extended weekends every year, the “regulars” at Liuzza’s by the Track include an overflow crowd of tourists grabbing drinks and settling in for meals on their way in and out of the nearby New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Co-owner James Gonczi estimates that out-of-towners make up anywhere from 30% to 35% of his clientele during the seven-day festival each spring. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the festival hasn’t happened for two years now.

It looked like the music would play this fall — organizers recruited The Rolling Stones to headline a rescheduled festival in October. But then the highly contagious delta variant exploded, forcing another cancellation.

Gonczi doesn’t even want to talk about it. “I don’t want to be depressed anymore,” he says.

Jazz Fest usually draws hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to the city. They come for the unique food, music and culture every year, playing a major part in a tourism and hospitality industry that drives the New Orleans economy.

This industry has been hammered by the pandemic, which has forced many bars, restaurants and music venues to close or limit their operations. At one point unemployment in the city was as high as 20%, and it hasn’t recovered, with a 12% jobless rate now.

It seemed like decent times, at least, would roll again last spring, as vaccinations began and visitors started coming back. Occupancy rates rose above 50% this summer in downtown hotels, not bad compared to the single digits of the summer before, said Kelly Schultz, a spokeswoman for New Orleans & Company, which promotes the city as a tourist destination. But she said it hasn’t been a full rebound, with international tourists, cruise ship passengers and business travelers not yet returning.

The tourism organization paused some of its advertising through September as polling showed travelers concerned about the delta surge. Louisiana has been a hot spot for this fourth wave, with hospitalizations repeatedly hitting record highs and medical staff voicing concerns about hospitals being overrun.

Losing Jazz Fest again should be a “giant wake-up call” to get more people vaccinated, Schultz said: “All of this is completely preventable with the vaccine.”…….

The welfare of the community during the pandemic is more important right now.
Not in the eyes of those people. It's all about them. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many. Good luck changing their mind on that.

I don't get it. It's like people are pretending there isn't a pandemic going on. If your child legitimately can't wear a mask, make arrangements with the school to do remote learning or home school your kids. I'm sorry, but in a pandemic, tough shirt. The welfare of the community during the pandemic is more important right now.

I've got kids in school, and they're vaccinated and aren't complaining about wearing masks in school. It's a small sacrifice and tradeoff to get back to in person learning.

My youngest daughter's first day back in class is today. We'll see how it goes.

on CNN yesterday they were talking to parents including anti mandate ones who admitted their kids don’t have a problem wearing the mask, one said his kid loved the mask and thinks it’s cool

Questionable source

This one is legit:

The original order on the MS Dept of Health website:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — It’s a neighborhood bar and restaurant, but for two extended weekends every year, the “regulars” at Liuzza’s by the Track include an overflow crowd of tourists grabbing drinks and settling in for meals on their way in and out of the nearby New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Co-owner James Gonczi estimates that out-of-towners make up anywhere from 30% to 35% of his clientele during the seven-day festival each spring. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the festival hasn’t happened for two years now.

It looked like the music would play this fall — organizers recruited The Rolling Stones to headline a rescheduled festival in October. But then the highly contagious delta variant exploded, forcing another cancellation.

Gonczi doesn’t even want to talk about it. “I don’t want to be depressed anymore,” he says.

Jazz Fest usually draws hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world to the city. They come for the unique food, music and culture every year, playing a major part in a tourism and hospitality industry that drives the New Orleans economy.

This industry has been hammered by the pandemic, which has forced many bars, restaurants and music venues to close or limit their operations. At one point unemployment in the city was as high as 20%, and it hasn’t recovered, with a 12% jobless rate now.

It seemed like decent times, at least, would roll again last spring, as vaccinations began and visitors started coming back. Occupancy rates rose above 50% this summer in downtown hotels, not bad compared to the single digits of the summer before, said Kelly Schultz, a spokeswoman for New Orleans & Company, which promotes the city as a tourist destination. But she said it hasn’t been a full rebound, with international tourists, cruise ship passengers and business travelers not yet returning.

The tourism organization paused some of its advertising through September as polling showed travelers concerned about the delta surge. Louisiana has been a hot spot for this fourth wave, with hospitalizations repeatedly hitting record highs and medical staff voicing concerns about hospitals being overrun.

Losing Jazz Fest again should be a “giant wake-up call” to get more people vaccinated, Schultz said: “All of this is completely preventable with the vaccine.”…….

I just got my signed 2021 Jazz Fest poster last week. That'll be a story for the grandkids, here's the event poster for an event that didn't happen, indirectly because of COVID-19 and directly because people suck.

on CNN yesterday they were talking to parents including anti mandate ones who admitted their kids don’t have a problem wearing the mask, one said his kid loved the mask and thinks it’s cool
Yeah, it's really almost entirely parent driven, and by their worldview/policies. Literally zero to do with what's best for the students and faculty.

Yeah, it's really almost entirely parent driven, and by their worldview/policies. Literally zero to do with what's best for the students and faculty.

Whatever year the Tickle Me Elmo was the hot toy there was a news report talking with local mall Santas who all said that not a single child had asked for an Elmo doll all season long. Not one.

I'm getting more nervous every week. My wife and I are both vaccinated, will wear masks proudly, but we have a vacation scheduled in New Orleans at the end of October. Wondering if we should cancel or not....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom