COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (9 Viewers)

I little DIY for the teachers.

The idea is simple: “The fan on top is blowing up and that means it's sucking air in through the filters on the sides,” explained Blair, a former physics grad student and an open-source enthusiast. As the air is pulled through the filters, the vast majority of virus-laden particles are removed.

Yeah, a rubber and charcoal lined suit and a mask that hinders you from lining up your sites on your weapon had me dreadful if I'd ever have to fight in that.

And I've been through that dang CS gas chamber more times than I can count. I always laughed at those that failed to hold their breath reciting while their lines and being exposed...until one time I screwed up and got a good whiff of the stuff. The cascading watering eyes was a given, but when I tried to breathe I could inhale easily, but couldn't exhale. It was like a one-way valve. You almost had to belch or hurl out your breath to draw another. That's why so many blew chunks as they exited the tent, I guess. 🤮
This is what we used in the Navy when firefighting. People should be glad we are only asking them to wear a small, cloth mask.
msa-navy-a-4-oxygen-breathing-apparatus-type-a_1_d01f91baefccf1e1ea45add990e72860.jpg

I little DIY for the teachers.

I read the article and may have missed it, but what speed would the fan need to be set to?

How loud and disruptive would this contraption be? Directly related to the question about fan speed.

I served as our Army company's NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemcal warfare) officer for a stint. Granted it was many, many moons ago. I don't see the logic of developing a biological weapon that can't be somewhat contained, controlled or targeted at your enemy. Maybe with a goal to inoculate the "home team" or country and all the rest be damned? But the rest would be the rest of the planet.

I don't see the control factor to limit it to a foe with minimal collateral damage. They're dealing with a pandemic-oriented virus.
I would think their military would be working on altering the DNA to affect the genetic makeup of a certain class of citizens, for example alleviating all the Canadians in the world ;). Otherwise you are shooting your own self in the foot.

I read the article and may have missed it, but what speed would the fan need to be set to?

How loud and disruptive would this contraption be? Directly related to the question about fan speed.
I didn't see that info either, but I'd guess full speed. You're after maximal air flow to turn over the room air as fast as possible. I guess that could be very disruptive sound wise especially if the teacher is masked.

Yep, the trends over the last week are looking better for Louisiana. Now, if we can get through the next week or two (as more schools open) without going back up, we should see a steady decline through the fall. The question then becomes can we get enough people vaccinated before the end of November when last year's winter surge started.
I wouldn't get my hopes up yet. Here comes Lambda and B.1.621. The latter has killed 7 fully vaccinated people in Belgium.
They'll have to be monitered and hopefully won't be as bad as Delta.

I totally agree that it shouldn't be on the teacher to fund. IDK, maybe the school could fund raise?

Thinking about it, I think we have some of those filters that were ordered the wrong size for our office. I may have a project to work on...

I wouldn't get my hopes up yet. Here comes Lambda and B.1.621. The latter has killed 7 fully vaccinated people in Belgium.
They'll have to be monitered and hopefully won't be as bad as Delta.

Worth noting the 7 dead in Belgium were nursing home patients.

And Lambda likely won't outcompete Delta based on what we've seen so far.

Worth noting the 7 dead in Belgium were nursing home patients.

And Lambda likely won't outcompete Delta based on what we've seen so far.
That's how it started out last time.

And who knows what Lambda might morph into.

Had a three hour meeting with my employer today trying to get them to change their policy of charging people with attendance infractions who report exposure, symptoms, and those who are sent home. People are coming in ill, and/or exposed because they can't afford the attendance infraction. The company refused.

They doubled down on their stance today when one of the guys on my crew reported that his daughter tested positive and that he was with her all weekend. The company reasoned that it doesn't count as exposure because he's vaccinated and isn't showing symptoms yet. He was given the choice of an attendance infraction or come in and expose the rest of us. He's here. No mask. 60 years old, diabetic, overweight.

We have six positive cases and several more pending results.

School started last Wednesday. 1 student in my wife's class missed the 1st 3 days with Covid. Today, 2 kids in her class are test positive, and 1 more is suspected. This is day 4. None of the kids out now wore masks, but she does. Feels like it's a rocket on the launchpad and engines have started to fire.

School started last Wednesday. 1 student in my wife's class missed the 1st 3 days with Covid. Today, 2 kids in her class are test positive, and 1 more is suspected. This is day 4. None of the kids out now wore masks, but she does. Feels like it's a rocket on the launchpad and engines have started to fire.

We had like 20% of the entire grade out today. I had two in my homeroom call home sick by 8:30 am. There's a 5th grade class that had three students show up today. Out of 25.

Absolutely no signs of going virtual or hybrid at the moment. We'll see what happens I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom