COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

My cousin got the booster two weeks ago and is now dealing with a litany of neurological problems. He is experiencing constant numbness in his hands and feet, elevated blood pressure, and significantly increased heartrate. Talked to him today and he was put on a beta blocker and blood pressure meds. He is 47 and was in good health and never had anything prior to this.
Maybe he just had high blood pressure and didn’t know it?

They don’t call hypertension the silent killer for nothing. And it seems odd to not have a serious reaction until the third dose. Correlation does not equal causation and all that.

They don’t call hypertension the silent killer for nothing. And it seems odd to not have a serious reaction until the third dose. Correlation does not equal causation and all that.

No because his wife's insurance require them to take a yearly wellness physical that does things like blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugars, as well as nicotine. He has always been one of the most healthy members of my extended family.

No because his wife's insurance require them to take a yearly wellness physical that does things like blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugars, as well as nicotine. He has always been one of the most healthy members of my extended family.
Ok that really is weird since the booster is just a smaller amount of the same thing -- was it a different vaccine for the booster?

Yes. He was originally vaccinated from first two shots with Phizer, and then Moderna for the booster.
Wow, that just sucks -- hope he feels better soon. We stuck with the same vaccine (Moderna) for all three and the booster was by far the least symptomatic.

Doesn't make it untrue either.

It's a data point either way.

How it is interpreted is definitely up for debate, but we don't know enough to make any judgements.

Yes. He was originally vaccinated from first two shots with Phizer, and then Moderna for the booster.
And keep in mind, even the smaller booster for Moderna is 50mcg, which is more vaccine than a standard Pfizer at 30mcg.

Thats one of the reasons they think the Moderna vaccine offers seemingly longer protection.

Are members of your family high risk for GBS? I thought someone here was talking about being a risk for it.

My cousin got the booster two weeks ago and is now dealing with a litany of neurological problems. He is experiencing constant numbness in his hands and feet, elevated blood pressure, and significantly increased heartrate. Talked to him today and he was put on a beta blocker and blood pressure meds. He is 47 and was in good health and never had anything prior to this.
Sorry to hear man. I’ll say a prayer for him

Honestly it sounds like GBS. If he's in pain, that may likely be the cause of the high blood pressure or being stressed.

Hopefully it was caught quick and treatment starts fast. Recovery can take a while.

And keep in mind, even the smaller booster for Moderna is 50mcg, which is more vaccine than a standard Pfizer at 30mcg.

Thats one of the reasons they think the Moderna vaccine offers seemingly longer protection.

Are members of your family high risk for GBS? I thought someone here was talking about being a risk for it.

My dad's side of the family is, but this cousin is on my mother's side.

Still, I'd advise he gets that checked out. If the doc he saw didn't already. Better to catch it early.
Yeah I believe he is going to see a neurologist soon. It took me 2 months to see one, they are slammed with new patients all over lately. Long covid is causing an unreal amount of neurological issues as well, so it's very high demand.

The gene, LZTFL1, is involved in the regulation of lung cells in response to infection. When the risky version of the gene is present, cells lining the lungs seem to do less to protect themselves from infection with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.

The gene version that raises COVID-19 risk is present in 60 percent of people of South Asian ancestry, 15 percent of people of European ancestry, 2.4 percent of people with African ancestry and 1.8 percent of people with East Asian ancestry.

"It's one of the more prevalent genetic signals, so it's by far the most important genetic hit in COVID," said James Davies, a professor of genomics at the University of Oxford and one of the leaders of the new research.

With all the talk of increased immunity by cross pollination…you have to imagine that there may be a drawback of having too strong of an immune response. This is one of my concerns about booster…especially cross pollinating.

We know that titers wane after a period of time…but my question is whether or not that waning of titers is actually linked to negative outcomes. I’m a firm believer in “do no harm”. Saying something is “safe” frankly isn’t good enough for me. You have to demonstrate that a medical intervention is linked to better outcomes…otherwise you shouldn’t do it. This is also where I sit on vaccinating children.

This is especially true if we are moving away from being in a pandemic. You are probably more up on the stats than me though.

Doesn't make it untrue either.

It's a data point either way.

How it is interpreted is definitely up for debate, but we don't know enough to make any judgements.
Well, yea. That's kinda my point. We definitely can't draw a straight line to the vaccine just on what could absolutely just be coincidence, but we also can't rule it out, and I certainly wasn't saying it couldn't be vaccine-related.

But also pointing out that sudden health issues that pop up after the vaccine could be, and like are, completely unrelated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom