COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

Haha....I'm not trolling anyone. Just stating that I don't feel test access is a risk factor. I do agree with it that hourly workers have it tougher than salary workers which have more opportunities at working from home.
Guilty conscience? I wasn't talking about you. You are still posting in this thread, aren't you? :D

Free testing doesn't keep you from getting it....social distancing/mask usage is far more important and even that isn't a guarantee. I've debated whether I will get tested at all if/when I get it. What does that test do for me? I'm either sick or I'm not. I'll treat every illness as being positive.
You’re thinking of it in terms of individuals vs a community
Certainly a free test doesn’t help a person who already has symptoms- but it certainly helps figure out asymptomatic people and resource needs

You’re thinking of it in terms of individuals vs a community
Certainly a free test doesn’t help a person who already has symptoms- but it certainly helps figure out asymptomatic people and resource needs
This opens up a line of discussion that interests me actually because it's something I think about. How many asymptomatic people are getting tested? I'm thus far asymptomatic and I haven't gotten a test with no plans to get tested. Am I in the minority on that? Are there a bunch of people getting tested that have no symptoms? That's an issue with testing I have that comes from within. If I have no symptoms I'm not getting tested and if I have symptoms I'm going to assume I'm.positive and not get tested until I'm hospital bound.

This opens up a line of discussion that interests me actually because it's something I think about. How many asymptomatic people are getting tested? I'm thus far asymptomatic and I haven't gotten a test with no plans to get tested. Am I in the minority on that? Are there a bunch of people getting tested that have no symptoms? That's an issue with testing I have that comes from within. If I have no symptoms I'm not getting tested and if I have symptoms I'm going to assume I'm.positive and not get tested until I'm hospital bound.

I’ve been tested twice (negative) with no symptoms, as have the other three in my household.

Just talked school stuff with my daughter. Unfortunately our school is optional in class or online so it's a tough decision we have to make. My daughter is going into 9th grade and she excels at school so she's the one that this really effects the most. She made Honor society last year so she was really looking forward to school. I just wanted her opinion on things. She's so smart and such a thinker. She thinks like we do....school is important to her but she understands if we decide to keep her home. Doesn't make it easier to do so but that's called parenting....very seldom is easy.

Please don't feed the trolls. I have removed one from this thread.

You can recognize a troll usually after a couple of posts. Please just ignore them and report them after that. A good troll gets numerous responses to the bait. That's what happened recently in this thread 3 or 4 times.

Testing 1 2 3

Haha....no guilt here. Just making sure. I have 75% of the people that normally post in here ignored so maybe it's something I didn't see?

At least you haven't put me on ignore yet. Isn't ignoring 75% of the posters the equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and yelling, "ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya" in a verbal discussion? :D

Thus ensuring maximum spread.

In a better world, we'd *all* be getting tested on the regular.

I am so conflicted on this - I am grateful to see so many parents involved and concerned about their kids' education. And sensing the importance of school in general. And yet, at the same time, I can't help but be resentful of the degradation of the public system in key areas vis a vis equity and access. And people continuing to disregard the latter while rhetorically supporting the former.

This is the most serious I've seen national attention become around education, and we still can't seem to coalesce around its importance. The inefficiencies of the bureaucracy, the bloat, the gatekeeping, the hurdles and hoops, the impotence of teachers, the capriciousness of political leaders making decisions independent of educators' input (this last one is happening up here, too, incidentally - our Minister of Education is a sycophant with no experience in education whatsoever), and so on.

Months ago, I felt like we were at a moment where something real could come from this, but suspected it wouldn't. And it hasn't.

And anytime I try to find out an answer - esp back home - it's always the same answer: "You need to talk to X, I'm in charge of Y."

There's no leadership in education, no vision. What we are seeing is the degree to which mid-management administrators aren't actually administering enough in a time when we need administering. It's someone else's job, someone else's department.

Schools, right *now*, need to be planning on not being in school and conducting teaching online. Discussions with tech companies and comm companies needed to be had two months ago. Plans for food delivery to students need to be in place.

I don't see how most places in the US who are going to open are actually going to be able to or, if they do, stay open for long.

We're in a really good position up here, and I suspect we'll be in another virtual learning atmosphere before we get out of September.

Tomorrow I start back to work. Some meetings in person, some meetings via Zoom/Google. We had an abundance of retirements and teachers leaving this year, more than any other year I've seen so far. We have however had a large amount of parents sign their students up for full online courses, about 25% of my district (but about 40% at my school which is great). We still have absolutely no subs to cover when teachers end up sick, even if its not Covid related. My outlook is that if we start mid to late August, I give us until mid-October before we are shut down once more. This is my fear, my prediction, not my want. Another prediction is that if this somehow succeeds, teachers will not reap the rewards. In fact, politicians are going to look at this and say "Well they managed with so little, we can take even more." And if this doesn't succeed, which I don't believe it will, teachers will also be blamed. They didn't have a plan in place, they didn't clean properly, they didn't address medical needs properly. It's their fault that these kids and other teachers got sick and died. And once again, the politicians are going to look at this and say "Well they're inept and needy anyway. No matter what they'll fail, lets take even more from them since it doesn't matter anyway."

just to follow up on the post above, re: a short lived re-opening

Two new studies, though from different parts of the world, have arrived at the same conclusion: that young children not only transmit SARS-CoV-2 efficiently, but may be major drivers of the pandemic as well.

this is alarming:

According to the results, children 5 years and younger who develop mild to moderate Covid-19 symptoms have 10 to 100 times as much SARS-CoV-2 in the nasopharynx as older children and adults.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom