COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (11 Viewers)

Another item I can't find anywhere. I just make my own wipes with alcohol and paper towel.

We have the same issue. We actually bought a few bottles of Everclear and dilute it down to 70% alcohol in a spray bottle. It's good for fruits and vegetables. I mean, a little Everclear has never hurt anyone.

We have the same issue. We actually bought a few bottles of Everclear and dilute it down to 70% alcohol in a spray bottle. It's good for fruits and vegetables. I mean, a little Everclear has never hurt anyone.
That's actually a good idea. A friend of mine gave me a bottle of the hand sanitizer they made at his company and I forgot he was giving it to me. It was in a bag with some other items I was getting from him. When I saw it in the bag two days later, I opened it and it smelled just like vodka. I called him and asked him why he gave me a squirt bottle of vodka and he reminded me what it was.

I wish the science would figure out whether or not formite spread is a serious problem. Mask wearing I'm getting used to, but disinfecting takeout containers and grocery packages is a pain in the butt--plus I hate the smell of bleach. I can't find lysol anywhere. Isopropyl alcohol doesn't smell wonderful either. I did have to use peroxide rinse at the dentist--yecccch--but they use it in a spray where I get medical tests, and at least it doesn't stink. This has gotten very old very quickly.

Every grocery trip, I think to myself "OK I'm not gonna wipe anything down this time." And then I lose my nerve and wipe everything down anyway.

I wish the science would figure out whether or not formite spread is a serious problem. Mask wearing I'm getting used to, but disinfecting takeout containers and grocery packages is a pain in the butt--plus I hate the smell of bleach. I can't find lysol anywhere. Isopropyl alcohol doesn't smell wonderful either. I did have to use peroxide rinse at the dentist--yecccch--but they use it in a spray where I get medical tests, and at least it doesn't stink. This has gotten very old very quickly.

The sum total of my amateur reading on the subject is that fomite spread is not nearly the concern it was made out to be in the early days of the winter/spring. We spent way too much time telling people to wash their hands instead of wearing a mask.

Unless you are in a COVID ward or possibly riding the NYC subway every day I dont think contact transmission is very likely. I still wash my hands all the time because its easy but I am much more attuned to masking up, social distancing, and being outside as much as possible.

I asked a doc pretty early on if I needed to be concerned about touching a doorknob that someone else had used - he said, "It depends. Are you going to stick your hand in your mouth immediately afterward?"

Welp, I can only hope. I rarely get sick with anything.. maybe once every other year or so. What's bad is when I do with something like the flu, I feel death knocking on the door LOL.

Yes. I'll try and show the model we are using - it's a quadmester. Eight sections of classes total, 4 each half of the year. And that half year is split into four, with two rotations for each.

I'll try to illustrate what it looks like.

Let's say a student is taking eight courses. This will also give them an 'open' class or two. But instead of labeling the classes English and Math and Science and PE and Art - let's just call them class A-H. Like, A = English, B = Math, and so on.

TERM ONE

Cycle 1 - Class A and B
this will be 4 weeks - Class A on Monday, Class B on Tuesday, Class A on Wednesday.... ends with Mid Term

Cycle 2 - Class C and D
this will be 4 weeks - Class C on Monday, Class D on Tuesday, Class C on Wednesday.... ends with Mid Term

Cycle 3 - Class A and B
this will be 4 weeks - Class A on Monday, Class B on Tuesday, Class A on Wednesday.... ends with Course Final

Cycle 4 - Class C and D
this will be 4 weeks - Class C on Monday, Class D on Tuesday, Class C on Wednesday.... ends with Course Final

TERM TWO

Cycle 1 - Class E and F
this will be 4 weeks - Class E on Monday, Class F on Tuesday, Class E on Wednesday.... ends with Mid Term

Cycle 2 - Class G and H
this will be 4 weeks - Class G on Monday, Class H on Tuesday, Class G on Wednesday.... ends with Mid Term

Cycle 3 - Class E and F
this will be 4 weeks - Class E on Monday, Class F on Tuesday, Class E on Wednesday.... ends with Course Final

Cycle 4 - Class G and H
this will be 4 weeks - Class G on Monday, Class H on Tuesday, Class G on Wednesday.... ends with Course Final

So, each student will have 2 classes per Cycle and teachers will only teach two classes.

Non-teaching staff and non-essential staff will continue to work from home. We'll also have dedicated classrooms, instead of rotating between classes and among different buildings on campus.

Is that clearer? If not, I can try to pass another round.

Reading all of this gave me a headache! lol

I know this is Canada, so this doesn't necessarily apply to your situation, but reading this makes me realize that we literally just watched grown adults for the past four months fail considerably at social distancing, mask wearing, and not being nasty human beings in general, but now we are expecting our elementary aged kids to succeed in large numbers? This is madness.

Welp, I can only hope. I rarely get sick with anything.. maybe once every other year or so. What's bad is when I do with something like the flu, I feel death knocking on the door LOL.
Precisely what worries me. I can't remember the last time I was sick. Granted, I get a flu shot yearly-- but I could be short of antibodies. And I will run not walk to CVS when the flu shots become available in the Fall. No inner debate.

The sum total of my amateur reading on the subject is that fomite spread is not nearly the concern it was made out to be in the early days of the winter/spring. We spent way too much time telling people to wash their hands instead of wearing a mask.

Unless you are in a COVID ward or possibly riding the NYC subway every day I dont think contact transmission is very likely. I still wash my hands all the time because its easy but I am much more attuned to masking up, social distancing, and being outside as much as possible.

I asked a doc pretty early on if I needed to be concerned about touching a doorknob that someone else had used - he said, "It depends. Are you going to stick your hand in your mouth immediately afterward?"

I'm the same way. I've always thought the reason for the worldwide spread was by airborne particles and projected droplets.

I went back a few pages and didn't see this posted. Lake Chuck and Lafayette made the NPR COVID article:

I know this is Canada, so this doesn't necessarily apply to your situation, but reading this makes me realize that we literally just watched grown adults for the past four months fail considerably at social distancing, mask wearing, and not being nasty human beings in general, but now we are expecting our elementary aged kids to succeed in large numbers? This is madness.
You win the thread for the day sir!

So for Drew Brees, that's a possible yes.

My wife has her first day back on campus- I asked about protocols and she said ‘the teachers can’t follow them, but we expect the kids to?’

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom