COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (16 Viewers)

I'm guessing you either have no kids in school or it's been awhile? Dress codes mean very little and teachers have very limited control over kids. It's shocking to me how jr high and high school students are allowed to act. The stories my kids tell me will just make you shake your head. In March when there was talk of closing schools down kids were coughing in each other's faces hoping they would close school. That sound like something you think teachers can keep from happening?

As a 14-year veteran teacher who is starting administration this year, with a 10-year veteran teacher for a wife, and a kid starting 6th grade this year, I can tell you - yes, this is absolutely something teachers can keep from happening. Classroom management is a thing.

classroom management is absolutely a thing. And instituting rules for kids and coming up with ways to follow up - for their safety and development as well as their peers - is a thing. A responsibility.

the alternative is what? Chaos. Do we just give up?

discipline looks different in my classes than my wife’s. But we both have expectations and rarely have problems with compliance.

I have been in high school or middle school and elementary (this was a short lived experiment lol) classrooms for around 15 years and I’ve sent *one* student to the principal in all that time.

And it was 20 years ago.

I have been in high school or middle school and elementary (this was a short lived experiment lol) classrooms for around 15 years and I’ve sent *one* student to the principal in all that time.

Note to self Animal Farm is NOT a children's book.

We had a weird outbreak at our facility. 7 employees tested positive in a 2 week window around the 4th. Since then, no one has tested positive. Everyone is back at work and back to normal.

classroom management is absolutely a thing. And instituting rules for kids and coming up with ways to follow up - for their safety and development as well as their peers - is a thing. A responsibility.

the alternative is what? Chaos. Do we just give up?

discipline looks different in my classes than my wife’s. But we both have expectations and rarely have problems with compliance.

And it was 20 years ago.

The classroom management works... if the administration actually backs the teachers and not the parents. Unfortunately, that is not always the case in today's society.

I'm reading reports that the positive rate in Texas today is 40%. That is insane if true, and shows they are not testing enough.

The classroom management works... if the administration actually backs the teachers and not the parents. Unfortunately, that is not always the case in today's society.

sure, I guess.

I mean, yes. Administration is important.

But, like I said, I haven't ever really needed a principal because my classroom management is on point. Teachers need to be better trained, but that's a preservice education consideration. And administrators need to be trained better, too - that's always the case.

This, however, is beside the point, which started off from a place of "It's obvious you don't have kids in school because..." which was followed by things that really weren't entirely correct.

We can start talking about exceptions and considerations all day, and they can be relevant. But I wouldn't change the generalizability of my point as a result. It's pretty broadly established as impactful for a reason.

HIPAA is a source of regular error and misperception in the public and even healthcare professionals.

The key to your quote here is "about an identifiable patient". Where the information shared with public-health agencies or the public is not of the kind that would allow the patient to be identified (e.g. with personal information revealed or in a context where the patient's identity would be obvious from the report), there is no HIPAA privacy issue.

Correct....first off, does the data even exist (non - PII), we used to call it that at Labor...

Info beyond overall counts are hard to come by. Most organizations won't release anything beyond that because of the privacy rules. To expect more than that is unrealistic in today's business environment.

It all depends on who is requesting it and how much influence and/or legal resources they have....

Case in point, at Labor we collect PII info in, lets call it case management systems. We also collect alot of what would be considered non-PII information, the legal question becomes what combination of non-PII information makes it possible to identify someone. Had one media outlet with incredible resources sue Labor because they wouldn't agree to give them PII data (they knew they were going to lose the case but did it as a method to get as much information as they could and to get SOL (legal counsel for Labor) involved). After hours of negotiations, SOL determined the exact data we should provide to them and they were willing to pay for the time/resources we expended to get it to them in the format they wanted.

Good luck getting companies and organizations to report that though. Until they're mandated to do such, it's not happening imo.

Agreed, even if they are mandated, there are other obstacles. Data and types of data (collection) are really all over the place, even in the govt...it is even worse with private insurance companies....that is why the Medicare fraud data initiative (PII data in this case but still relevant to this conversation) fell on it's face, the morons who created the data template wanted required data fields that few or none collected. They could have made it very simple by requiring simply SSN first and last name, and such.....

Wife's cousin, who is a radiologist at a hospital in Kitchener-Waterloo (which is a sizeable city - a quarter million people - about an hour west of us) said that yesterday - for the first time in five months - they don't have a single COVID patient in the hospital.

And she said it with much relief.

I got a bottle from a friend whose company started making it right when all hell broke loose that smells like vodka. I'd forgotten he was giving it to me and it was in a bag with a bunch of other stuff. A couple days later I had to call and ask him why he gave me a squirt bottle of vodka and he reminded me it was hand sanitizer.

The crowded High School in Georgia has figured out how to enforce rules after all.
On Wednesday, an intercom announcement at the school from principal Gabe Carmona said any student found criticizing the school on social media could face discipline

If the other kids don’t start posting/protesting, they kinda suck

On Wednesday, an intercom announcement at the school from principal Gabe Carmona said any student found criticizing the school on social media could face discipline

Yeah, if that doesn't turn into a trending hashtag by the weekend I'll be disappointed.

I have to say that no Principal would enjoy the conversation with me if they tried to discipline my daughter for this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom