COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

Any of y'all have an app like this? If so, does it work? I don't like the idea of random people being able to access my phone - regardless of the stated function of the app and what data it'll have permission to access - via bluetooth.

That's fine. But everyone constantly touching the mask isn't an issue? Guess i need to just wear the mask and not question it. Keep the illusion of "doing our part" going.
Still on this masks-don't-really-work-crusade? Here's a suggestion that might help ease your angst. ;)

fly_by_night.png

Last edited:
I just want to know how effective these ridiculous masks are. Watch people. They are touching them constantly. I know I am. A constant flow of snot, saliva, food particles, etc. And whats the number one way to prevent infection?? wash hands. simple as that. Supposedly increased cases, but everyone has a mask on now. How can that be?
Can you provide some information on medications you are taking now or have taken in the past? Please include information on absorption, mechanism of action, metabolism, half-life and route of elimination. You should know all these details without having to look anything up since you're so concerned with being told what's best for you from healthcare professionals. Thanks in advance.

Mike DeWine had blazed a trail in March with his forceful response to the coronavirus pandemic, rapidly shutting down his state to protect it from the worst ravages of disease.

A month later, Ohio’s governor made what seemed, by comparison, a modest proposal: If businesses wanted to reopen, customers and employees would have to wear masks.

The backlash came instantly. An avalanche of abuse on social media. Calls from anguished citizens. Angry recriminations and threats.

The next day, a chastened DeWine backed down. Asking people to wear a mask “is offensive to some of our fellow Ohioans,” the Republican declared somberly. “And I understand that.”

It would be three months — plus tens of thousands of cases and thousands of deaths — before the governor would try again.

The mask is the simplest and among the most effective weapons against the coronavirus in the public health arsenal. Yet from the start, America’s relationship with face coverings has been deeply fraught.

Faulty guidance from health authorities, a cultural aversion to masks and a deeply polarized politics have all contributed. So has a president who resisted role modeling the benefits of face coverings, and who belittled those who did.............

Essentially with the mask. If you are wearing it your germs are not massively leaving you. As you mess with your mask you are just moving your germs around. As far as a filter holding others germs in the mask, then you messing with it, it’s a much smaller possibility, and yet again is effecting only you. Now also, just because you are messing with it, it’s keeping your face on the other side of the mask, still protecting you from getting sick. Now if you mess with it that much, take it off then shove your finger up your nose, you are absolutely right it may give you Covid. However if you were exposed to that much of a viral load you would’ve gotten sick anyway.
Or as I told my niece. Fine, you don’t believe in it don’t wear it so long as the next time you have surgery, make it very clear that you don’t want the doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists to wear them while you are having surgery. Sound stupid? Yup exactly

I really can't comprehend how in the middle of a raging global pandemic that we still have people arguing about wearing masks. How belligerently ignorant are we as society? It's so frustrating that I am at the point of being non-compassionate and just hoping they get exposed. I know it's terrible but this is so frustrating having these arguments and these are the people helping the spread. It's like arguing with someone about the need to wipe his @$$ after dropping a deuce. And people just vociferously arguing about why not wiping is just as good as wiping.

Both the Lancet and NEJM retracted studies of their HCQ trials. Their credibility is now questionable.

I do not understand your thinking here. The Lancet paper was retracted at the request of the authors. Lancet did as requested after consulting with the authors. The authors had problems corroborating important data, specifically that they requested the company that compiled the data (Surgisphere) for explanations as to how it sourced the data and analyzed it, and they requested the raw data to go over it themselves. Surgisphere refused to comply, which is a big red flag to me and SHOULD be to you as well.

If any credibility is to be lost here, it should be placed squarely on the shoulders of Surgisphere, not the journal, and not the authors, who maintained scientific integrity, imo. Be angry with Surgisphere.

The last thing we want is for bad research getting published and leading to redirecting funding, and time, and effort down a massive rabbit hole, and of course put lives unnecessarily at risk.

It was addressed more than once, and it's been discussed extensively throughout this thread. You either haven't read the discussion, or you're deliberately ignoring the primary reason masks work and should be worn. I don’t like wearing them, but I don’t want to inadvertently spread the virus since asymptomatic people can spread it unwittingly. It's not only sensible, it's good public policy.

Not to mention that at this point the science is so clear that it helps slow the spread, that wearing a mask should be common courtesy, good manners, and a show that your respect the lives of others.

And all that even ignores the fact that although it won't prevent you from getting it, it does at a minimum cut down on your viral load which may allow your body to fight off the infection or for any infection that you do get to be less severe.

So, it's a matter of both showing respect for others and yourself.

And as far as touching the mask, how hard is it to just wash or use hand sanitizer before you adjust your mask?

Not to mention that at this point the science is so clear that it helps slow the spread, that wearing a mask should be common courtesy, good manners, and a show that your respect the lives of others.

And all that even ignores the fact that although it won't prevent you from getting it, it does at a minimum cut down on your viral load which may allow your body to fight off the infection or for any infection that you do get to be less severe.

And as far as touching the mask, how hard is it to just wash or use hand sanitizer before you adjust your mask?
The mask is the butt crevasse test.

And if you're wearing it right touching it shouldn't be an issue if you're keeping your hands clean in the first place. And most masks are washable, unless they're the disposable single use ones (though you could probably wash those too if you wanted to). I really don't understand anyone who is looking for excuses not to wear a mask.

Last edited:

Using hand sanitizer is hard. Trust me.

I really can't comprehend how in the middle of a raging global pandemic that we still have people arguing about wearing masks. How belligerently ignorant are we as society? It's so frustrating that I am at the point of being non-compassionate and just hoping they get exposed. I know it's terrible but this is so frustrating having these arguments and these are the people helping the spread. It's like arguing with someone about the need to wipe his @$$ after dropping a deuce. And people just vociferously arguing about why not wiping is just as good as wiping.
We are a society that is easily influenced. We have been conditioned for many years now by social media. There is no "need" to research things or learn things or think about things for yourself when it is so easy to fire up the social media and be told or influenced on what you should think.

That's good news.

Meanwhile, Catholic Schools in East Baton Rouge (and apparently 7 other Parishes) are apparently set on opening for in person instruction. I guess we will find out within a few weeks after that if kids/teens can spread COVID.

Last edited:

I pretty much touch my mask for three reasons - it's riding too high, too low, or it's pulling on my ears unevenly. All of these adjustments require a small tug at the periphery of the mask which isn't invasive at all. Now, I have gotten in the habit of keeping a spray bottle of sanitizer in my pocket whenever I go somewhere public, and I use it diligently, but I really don't see how mask-touching should be much of an issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom