COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (15 Viewers)

I pretty much touch my mask for three reasons - it's riding too high, too low, or it's pulling on my ears unevenly. All of these adjustments require a small tug at the periphery of the mask which isn't invasive at all. Now, I have gotten in the habit of keeping a spray bottle of sanitizer in my pocket whenever I go somewhere public, and I use it diligently, but I really don't see how mask-touching should be much of an issue.

I agree. I only ever touch it to pull it up or to adjust the ear straps. And when I do, I just use some hand sanitizer. It may not be necessary, but it can't hurt.

That's fine. But everyone constantly touching the mask isn't an issue? Guess i need to just wear the mask and not question it. Keep the illusion of "doing our part" going.

Mask-touching isn't an issue, no. Hand-sanitizing and mask washing should go hand in hand, anyway -- you sanitize before and after handling the mask, and you sanitize with some frequency as you go about masked activities (e.g. grocery shopping).

But even a non-sterile dirty-ish mask -- assuming a stranger didn't just get finished coughing on it -- is helpful. The idea is simply to (a) block some portion of breath aerosols coming out of your mouth, and (b) block a portion of latent breath aerosols present in indoor air.

The general public does not need to abide by the same masking rules used in the medical profession -- the types of potential contact with infected persons are not comparable between, say, 'buying groceries' and 'treating a COVID-19 patient in close quarters'. That was a big reason the messaging regarding face coverings for the public was so contradictory early on. The messaging was drafted by medical experts who were trained in a very narrow setting regarding masks -- the masking protocols for medical professionals is not necessarily applicable to those for the general public in non-medical settings.

So these kids, they're humans, right? They have respiratory systems like adults do, right? Why are we shocked and / or questioning whether or not they can spread this virus like adults??

Because we led ourselves into believing kids will be fine with this virus based on statistics while ignoring the fact that, whether we realize it or not, we are being very protective with our kids and they're generally not being put into mass gathering environments right now, at least not on the scale or frequency as they normally would.

It is becoming more and more clear to me that re-opening schools = creating literally thousands of super-spreader events across the nation for a few weeks before it all gets shut down.

I'm not sure how anyone else can draw any other conclusion. This is absolute madness.

I woke up this morning with a sore throat. I sleep on my back and sometimes sleep with my mouth open all night (I suppose) and wake up with a sore throat that goes away after a few minutes. I've been up for 4 hours and not only do I still have the sore throat and it feels like my glands may be swelling. I'm hoping I'm just paranoid. Fingers crossed I feel better as I drink more coffee and the day goes on.
Just a heads up for anyone who cares. My sore throat did go away a couple of hours ago so I assume it was one of my regular ones. It's just strange that it lasted half of the day and not just the span of minutes it normally does when this happens. I'm going to have to stop sleeping with the AC on such a low temperature with the ceiling fan on high. Pretty sure that's what causes it in the first place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom