COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (13 Viewers)

More on that school in Georgia:

Holy shirt. Their superintendent said this? If I was a teacher in that district, I'd have to seriously consider getting the hell out. This superintendent infuriates me with these statements. No practical way to enforce the mandate??? You tell them wear the mask or stay home. I hope this school is prepared for the shirtstorm that's approaching next week because if they just started this week, it's going to take a bit to catch up.
Just imagine the precedent this sets
There are going to be plenty of smart/smart*** kids who will try to cite his words to get out of most any school rule

They can't keep vape pens out of school so I have doubts how well they'll keep masks on kids. I'm just glad we have the online option.

I don't think that's a good analogy at all. Schools successfully enforce dress codes - kids that show up with non-compliant attire get sent home, it's been that way for decades. If the school system said that students that show up without a mask will be sent home, I think that the vast majority would comply, and everyone would eventually comply after a few days if the school stuck to it as a requirement. And then in school, the students are expected to wear them most of the time when indoors (with a few allowances, eating for example).

Sure, there will be various non-compliance throughout the day but if the school is serious about it, this can be managed. It's crazy to think that out of all the behavior that schools are able to manage, this one is beyond their capability. A small percentage of students engaging in clandestine activity such as sneaking vape pens isn't really a valid analogy - if a student is in a situation where the mask is supposed to be worn, it's obvious if its being worn or not. Non-compliance can be addressed case-by-case just like other student behavioral issues, and habitual non-compliance can be sent home.

:shrug:

More on that school in Georgia:

Holy shirt. Their superintendent said this? If I was a teacher in that district, I'd have to seriously consider getting the hell out. This superintendent infuriates me with these statements. No practical way to enforce the mandate??? You tell them wear the mask or stay home. I hope this school is prepared for the shirtstorm that's approaching next week because if they just started this week, it's going to take a bit to catch up.

But I bet they have no problem telling young ladies to go home for skirts that are too short because its attention grabbing or telling black young ladies they have to pull their hair down because its too distracting or...

When a school says they can't tell students what to do, they're just flat out lying. This is ridiculous.

HIPPA rules against what you want.

So you (and everyone else) are left to entrust the few people who are privy to the information to make the best decision for everyone. Problem is that the person in charge may think that COVID is no worse than the flu.

Then what? Wait for full blown outbreak before action taken?

This virus couldn't have come at a better time to the US. Between the political divide and politicization of this virus, it does what a virus lives to do. Darn near unfettered. We don't have the political will to take control of this virus. Especially now a mere 3 months before elections.

So it's now left to individuals to make decisions based on what little info is provided.

This is exactly what lack of leadership looks like.

Being a veteran, I couldn't imagine my CO walking into a strategy brief saying to each platoon "yall do what you want and move out".

Just nuts.

I know what HIPAA is... I work in the Healthcare field, and I have to take HIPPA training / certification every year... It has to do with how personally identifiable information is maintained/secured by hospitals and insurance companies etc....

The names, medical history, and personal information of these people are not what I am asking for - nor am I saying we should be reporting on that....

What I am am saying is - If we are going to announce that an unknown number of people have tested positive for this virus in the JP school system, and we are inferring that information is serious enough to warrant decision making for all the teachers, parents, and children in that system... Then I want to know the pertinent details that make it so... I want to know when they were all tested, which test was used, did they have symptoms, do those people regularly interact with students, and are they contagious NOW?

None of that is personal protected information - It is the detailed information that should be provided, and is actually important to making informed decisions.

I am also a Vet... I am also a former NCO... this type of information is useless... how can you make any actionable decisions based on broad "screaming from the hills" information with absolutely no context or details? (Uh, there are a handful of tanks over that hill, Uh - how you wanna go take the hill SGT?)

We can't - and I think we agree - this lack of detail has been purposeful as this virus has been more and more politicized... and IMO, anyone who is willing to accept the lack of factual and specific information in the data being presented to us... already has their mind made up and is not interested in truth or protecting public health, but rather just wants to hear their opinions regurgitated - because they are satisfied with the answer and have stopped asking real questions.

Last edited:
I know what HIPPA is... I work in the Healthcare field, and I have to take HIPPA training / certification every year... It has to do with how personally identifiable information is maintained/secured by hospitals and insurance companies etc....

The names, medical history, and personal information of these people are not what I am asking for - nor am I saying we should be reporting on that....

What I am am saying is - If we are going to announce that an unknown number of people have tested positive for this virus in the JP school system, and we are inferring that information is serious enough to warrant decision making for all the teachers, parents, and children in that system... Then I want to know the pertinent details that make it so... I want to know when they were all tested, which test was used, did they have symptoms, do those people regularly interact with students, and are they contagious NOW?

None of that is personal protected information - It is the detailed information that should be provided, and is actually important to making informed decisions.

I am also a Vet... I am also a former NCO... this type of information is useless... how can you make any actionable decisions based on broad "screaming from the hills" information with absolutely no context or details?

We can't, and I think we agree - this lack of detail has been purposeful as this virus has been politicized... and IMO, anyone who is willing to accept the lack of factual and specific information in the data being presented to us... already has their mind made up and is not interested in truth or protecting public health, but rather just wants to hear their opinions regurgitated.
What is the alternative to ‘willing to accept’?

I know what HIPPA is... I work in the Healthcare field, and I have to take HIPPA training / certification every year... It has to do with how personally identifiable information is maintained/secured by hospitals and insurance companies etc....

I am also a Vet... I am also a former NCO... this type of information is useless... how can you make any actionable decisions based on broad "screaming from the hills" information with absolutely no context or details?

We can't - and I think we agree - this lack of detail has been purposeful as this virus has been more and more politicized... and IMO, anyone who is willing to accept the lack of factual and specific information in the data being presented to us... already has their mind made up and is not interested in truth or protecting public health, but rather just wants to hear their opinions regurgitated - because they are satisfied with the answer and have stopped asking real questions.

For the love of all things public health, it's HIPAA!!!! I can't take these discussions of HIPAA seriously when you can't get correctly spell out the acronym that its commonly called. Imagine having a serious conversation about the role and responsibility of the FDA with someone that keeps calling it FAD. It's like starting conversation off by saying, "first off let me announce that I don't know the basics about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, having said that I interpret HIPPA..."

Second, dude we get it. This hill you're prepared to die on. The information is not useless simply because you don't understand the benefit of limited information versus detailed information. To take the stance you're taking, you'd have to believe that school systems that opened for purely political reasons are now sharing this information for purely political reasons that are in direct opposition of the stance they took to open in the first damn place. We get it. You want to discredit what's been released in these instances under the guise that it's "incomplete" or "not detailed". No one is misinterpreting how you feel though why is up for personal interpretation. But that you want to see more data has been thoroughly communicated.

I have a 5-year old (kindergarten) and a 2nd grader. The kindergarten is starting Aug. 17, full-time in-school. The teachers and staff will be wearing masks. The students will not. The school also has pre-school (2K - 4K).

My 2nd grader will start in-school on August 18. She will go twice a week under the current status that is in place for at-least three weeks. Masks are required for staff and students. The school has a detailed plan but while it looks good, it doesn't really give the metrics upon which the operating decisions are based. I asked the administrators to explain more fully and they have advised that they will be releasing that information in the coming week.

I know what HIPAA is... I work in the Healthcare field, and I have to take HIPPA training / certification every year... It has to do with how personally identifiable information is maintained/secured by hospitals and insurance companies etc....

I am also a Vet... I am also a former NCO... this type of information is useless... how can you make any actionable decisions based on broad "screaming from the hills" information with absolutely no context or details? (Uh, there are a handful of tanks over that hill, Uh - how you wanna go take the hill SGT?)

We ( my company) has been advised by our Labor attorney that if an employee tests positive, the ONLY information we can dole out is that in fact, "an employee" has tested positive. Cant give the person name, dept, what test, when it was administered , are they showing symptoms, etc. ( even though we are a company of less than 50 so preeeeety easy to id who out lol )

Point being, thats ALL we can give as far as information. In a facility such as JPSB i cant imagine the amount of back n forth between legal and administration as to what can be told and what cant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom